Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

need nice condo rec for multigenerational family trip next Xmas

Feb 2nd, 2012, 06:00 PM
Original Poster

Grandma has trouble getting around. Grandsons ages 20, 17 and 13. We'd like to rent a condo for about three weeks over the holidays-something nice, on the beach, that can accommodate 9 persons, one of whom can't do stairs. Hoping for warm weather, nice restaurants, pretty. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Feb 2nd, 2012, 06:05 PM

Uh, can you narrow down where you want to go? Price range for condo? Will you fly or drive? More info is needed.
Feb 3rd, 2012, 02:27 PM

Assuming you want to stay in the United States, the only place I can think of that might be warm over the holidays is south Florida or the keys. Since the keys are coral, all the beaches are man-made and most are very small.

If you can live without being on a beach, you can find a good condo or house in Key West to accommodate you all, and the restaurants there are fabulous.

Like DebitNM, I'd like to have some more specific information about your price range, any area of the country you'd hope to be, etc.
Feb 4th, 2012, 05:46 AM
Original Poster

Sorry, thought I had posted in a subcategory designated for Florida. Yes, we were focusing on south Florida in an attempt to find warm weather. Have been to Palm Beach, Miami, Naples and Seaside before. Seaside would have been perfect for all ages, but I think it's too far north for winter. We've heard that Palm Beach has warmer water, but may be overpriced for what we're seeking (which is a nice beach, safe area, water sports and girlwatching for the "kids, warm weather, a comfy chaise and scooter/walker friendly for grandma) We don't need glamour, but nice restaurants are important.

Grandma has friends who go to FMB, and we've also heard that Sanibel is lovely.

I wrestle with being in a house for privacy, vs a condo complex which might provide more activity for the boys and greater ease of moving around for Grandma. We could get two units if necessary.

One grandson loves beach volleyball and one loves boogie boarding, and they all love fishing, but they are flexible. Some of us play golf, but that won't be the focus of the trip. I can see the kids renting bikes and riding around like they did in Seaside, and I can see Mom relaxing on a comfy chaise watching all the activity on the beach or by a nice pool. We'd like to be able to cook.

We'll be flying in from TX, Illinois and CA.

Have heard good things about Key West. I don't think we need huge beaches.

Once we went to the Breakers and everyone loved it but that was a short trip. Price is not the biggest factor. Grandma has been really ill this year and we want this trip to be nice.

Thanks so much.
Feb 4th, 2012, 09:58 AM

I think Naples is great for this number and variety of people. If you have been there, you know there is plenty of beauty from a car, plenty of fun things for young people despite the average age of the population, and a lot of good places to eat. Oh, and beautiful beaches and warm water.

I have seen them playing beach volleyball at the Pier. But zero surf.
Feb 4th, 2012, 03:55 PM
Original Poster

Ackislander,

When I was in Naples I attended meetings and played a round of golf (left a ball on the course because it had landed by a gator!) but not much else. What specifically do you like about Naples? Thanks.
Feb 4th, 2012, 05:53 PM

South Seas Resort-Captiva Island
Casa Ybel-Sanibel Island
Casa Marina-Key West
Feb 5th, 2012, 02:00 AM

Naples is reliably warm.
It has beautiful flowers and vegetation surrounding beautiful houses everywhere, not just the mansions on Gordon Drive.
It has fabulous beaches, all open to the public.
There is night life and shopping galore.
There is an art museum and a symphony and active theater.
It is near enough to Big Cypress Swamp and the Everglades for a day trip. In fact, we have done day trips to South Beach when we wintered there.
There are relatively inexpensive flights to Ft Myers (RSW) from many, many places.
Finally, there are wonderful places to eat, from funky (Randy's Fish Market Cafe or the Cuban Fernandez de Bull) to Persian (n Vanderbilt Road Shopping Center).
Feb 9th, 2012, 12:55 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone. Been researching. Can you recommend a nice condo resort in Naples, preferably near activity and restaurants, with full kitchen and pool?
Feb 10th, 2012, 02:01 AM

Look into Naples Cay.

This is not a resort but a high rise condo complex directly on the beach, near restaurants and shopping. Nice pool. Rents short term apartments. Bike path almost next door.

We rented there before we bought in Naples and enjoyed it.