Reload this Page >

Need moderately priced hotel near Washington Monument

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 05:45 PM
Betty

My husband and I will be staying in DC for a week in June. We're going to be participating in an event held near the Washington Monument, so we'd like to get a hotel as close as possible to that area. We have reservations at Hotel Harrington, but I'm wondering if we could do better. I'd like to keep it under $125 per night. Any suggestions? Also, how about places to eat in that area? Thanks!

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 06:20 PM
Jim Rosenberg

Check out www.quikbook.com and have your atlas page turned to the DC page as you look over the offerings. You have at least a decent shot at getting it done for your price.

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 06:48 AM
No2Harry

Please type the name "Hotel Harrington" into the "text search" feature here and see what the general consensus is on this hotel. Try "rants and Raves" too. I don't think they have a good reputation. Unless somebody who has stayed there recently can comment.

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 03:46 PM
Lorraine

I have no idea what their rates are in June, but the Hotel Washington is probably the closest to the Monument, and it has a rooftop terrace cafe with a superb view.

A block north, on 15th Street, is the Old Ebbitt Grill--good food (American cuisine), reasonably priced. It does get busy so go at off hours.

Any particular kind of restaurant you're interested in?

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 06:36 PM
Betty

Thanks for the input, Lorraine. Since we're going to be there a week, I'd like to try a variety of restaurants.

Old May 1st, 2002, 10:15 AM
Ann

The Hotel Harrington scares me. You can do much better, and still stay in your price range. The Hotel Washington may be more than that, but can't hurt to check. Try the JW Marriott to see if they have any special deals going.

But do go and have a drink at the Hotel Washington's rooftop bar. Don't eat there (overpriced and not very good). The views are terrific.

Old May 1st, 2002, 10:18 AM
Dan

Capital Hilton as an online rate of 129 request eigth floor. Two blocks from white house, probably 4 from capital. There is a place called Old Ebbits that Thomas Jefferson frequented. I would go here. Hotel breakfast is fine buffet is skimpy though.

Old May 1st, 2002, 02:48 PM
Betty

Dan, where do I find this $129 rate for the Capital Hilton? I haven't come across it on any website I've tried. It sounds too good to be true!

Old May 1st, 2002, 02:59 PM
Dan

Was an online rate I had at Hilton two weekends ago. Perhaps this is seasonal. I got it at the Hilton Website. Why not call manager directly and see if he will cut you a deal for staying a week. Just remember 8th floor.

Old May 1st, 2002, 03:08 PM
Dan

Hilton website that is. I also noticed George town suites they have kitchens but in George Town. Still subway is pretty quick. These were $109 two weeks ago

Old May 1st, 2002, 05:48 PM
mjh

The Washington subway does not go to Georgetown.

Old May 1st, 2002, 07:48 PM
gail

I think above poster is referring to Washington Suites Georgetown which, strangely, is not in Georgetown. They had rates of $109 for summer on washingtondchotels.com

Old May 2nd, 2002, 03:36 AM
Jim Rosenberg

Betty, the more I think about it, the more I believe that it would be a big mistake to let one event at the Washington Monument have a LOT of influence on the area of Washington you plan to stay in for an entire week. I would suggest that you look at the entire array of choices available to you and then just plan to take a cab or the metro down to the monument for your event. A good choice on the hotel side over the course of that many nights will cover the cost of that taxi ride MANY times over and you will be choosing from a much larger number of possibilities in terms of rates, neighborhoods, etc. (I'm rather partial to the Dupont Circle - Embassy Row area, myself).

Old May 2nd, 2002, 04:23 AM
Dan

No it's Georgetown Suites here is the link but maybe you have offered a new location to Betty. Think Jim thoughtfully offered some good advice. I was buzzing all over that city in one weekend. BTW the name is not real I am a female 41 year old who did this alone. Would explore Adams Morgan not sure if it is available on that subway.

http://www.georgetownsuites.com/

Old May 2nd, 2002, 04:26 AM
Dan

You are right about it not being in Georgetown how incredibly deceptive. They don't even leave a link telling you about location. You figure this out by looking at the map.