Reload this Page >

Need luxury hotel close to Glenview(North Of Chicago), Illinois

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2002, 04:16 PM
Karen

We are traveling to Chicago and want to find a deluxe type hotel close to Glenview. Does anybody have any suggestions. We will have our two small children with us, so we would like something with nice restaurants and parks within walking distance. Thank you.

Old May 19th, 2002, 04:30 PM
Tara

Virtually nothing in the 'luxury' category in or close to Glenview that I can think of. I presume you believe the hotels on North Michigan Avenue are too far?

Old May 19th, 2002, 04:39 PM
Karen

We usually stay in Downtown Chicago, but since my husband will be going to Glenview each day, we were trying to find something interesting that might be closer.

Old May 19th, 2002, 05:36 PM
Tony

The only thing close to "luxury" in Glenview is the Doubletree Hotel on Milwaukee Ave, just south of Lake Ave. It's quite nice actually, but nothing like The Drake or Ritz-Carlton downtown. But the Doubletree is far above the average hotel. I'm not sure what the rating is, but I think it's around 3.5 or 4 stars. If you're willing to look around O'Hare area (about 10 minutes from Glenview), you'll probably find a few more "luxury" hotels.

Old May 19th, 2002, 06:26 PM
Donna

There is a Hilton at 2855 N Milwaukee in Northbrook (next to Glenview) but it is not within walking distance to restaurants/parks. The part of Milwaukee known as "Restaurant Row" is just up the road, but you will need to drive to it.

Old May 19th, 2002, 06:28 PM
Donna

p.s. There is a nature center in the woods across the street, nothing too exciting but its something.

Old May 19th, 2002, 07:22 PM
Velveeta

Try the Orrington in Evanston -- not that far from Glenview (15 min. or so), although the Milwaukee Ave. corridor, which has several chains on it, is certainly closer. There's quite a bit of forest preserve between Glenview and Evanston (Morton Grove) with various parks and recreation areas.

Give my regards to Kraft R&D in Glenview -- always used to emit the strangest chemo-cheesy odors. And the bookstore where the John Birch Society was founded.

Old May 20th, 2002, 10:41 AM
patg

The Doubletree on Milwaukee Avenue is a good recommendation. Another idea might be the Skokie area - there is a Holiday Inn Holidome on Touhy that, while not deluxe, backs up to a very large park. The Old Orchard area (Old Orchard Road/ Edens Expressway/ Skokie Blvd.) is centered around a shopping mall, but is a short drive to many nice parks in Skokie, Evanston and Wilmette. There is a Doubletree here that is about 1/2 mile from parks. The Evanston area is more of a traditional downtown, with lots of nice walks, including the lakefront, and good restaurants, plus easy access to downtown Chicago via the el train. (Evanston parks on not as well-kept as the other suburbs mentioned.) The Hilton Garden Inn is brand new and walking distance to downtown Evanston.
see www.evanston-illinois.org for maps and more. I would not recommend the Rosemont/O'Hare area for children - it's strictly business.

Old May 20th, 2002, 01:38 PM
Kris

You might also try along Lake Cook Road in Deerfield, there is an Embassy Suites up there along with several other similar class hotels. It's a short drive from Glenview.

If you're looking for a nice outing in the area, the Chicago Botanical Gardens are pretty close and so is Ravinia where they hold evening/weekend concerts (lawn seats don't give you a view but most people take picnics and the tickets are relatively inexpensive). The entrance for the Gardens is off Lake Cook Road, just past 94 (or it might be 41 at that point). You're also not too far from Great America in Gurnee.