Reload this Page >

need last minute advice on activities Yellowstone/Tetons/Jackson

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29th, 2001, 01:48 PM
Kathy

Our family of 5 including kids ages 16, 14 and 11 will be visiting Yellowsone (Old Faithful Inn) Grand Teton National Park (Signal Mountain Lodge) and Jackson (Best Western Lodge) August 21-29. I have some last minute questions and am finding the more I read the more confused I'm becoming. First of all, can we expect fewer crowds at the end of August compared to the rest of the summer? We plan to hike, raft, horseback ride, rent boats and maybe fish and mountain bike. Of the 3 areas we're visiting, where are the best places to do each? i.e. do we want to horseback ride in Yellowstone or the Tetons? Do we want to raft in the Tetons or in Jackson? At that time of the year are there calm white water trips that are a little more exciting than the float trips but not too dangerous? Do we need to make reservations ahead for these activities or will be be okay to do it when we get out there? Are hiking boots necessary or will sneakers do? We're not experienced hikers but do plan to do the easy to moderate hikes. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Old Jul 29th, 2001, 08:17 PM
Suzanne

Hiking boots are really not necessary, good sneakers should be fine for wherever you're going.

I can highly recommend Barker-Ewing whitewater rafting...located right in the center of town in jackson hole..(www.barker-ewing.com)...i have taken their trips on two diff occasions and had an amazing time down the snake river..they are very helpful and will give you some great options as which rafting ride to take. I even took my 5 yr old son ...we had a blast!

It's a great time of year to travel to that area...make sure you take warm enough clothing .as the temps get pretty cold with the high elevation. A warm coat isnt out of the question..you will need it. Feel free to email me...i have great ideas for you as far as a great Animal Safari trip, Cowboy BBQ, etc. You will have one of the best trips!!! Suzanne

PS make sure you wear waterproof sandals on your rafting trip...and bring a change of clothing with you for the ride back after you are drenched. (best advice anyone will give you!)

Old Jul 29th, 2001, 09:40 PM
Sal

One of the best hikes is in the Tetons. Take the launch across Jenny Lake to a trail head that will take you past beautiful waterfalls and up to an incredible view. It's an easy hike that the whole family should like. Signal Mountain Lodge is awsome--our family loves it. Be sure to make a quick stop (immediately as you enter Teton NP from Jackson)at the Chapel of the Transfiguration and see the range through the chapel's picture window at the altar. We rented a boat and explored Jackson Lake--really enjoyed that.

We did a horseback/dinner ride out of Roosevelt Lodge in Yellowstone. Honestly, my kids were bored--it's about an hour ride each way and very slow. Dinner was avg. and a pseudo cowboy sang. Obviously I'm not recommending that trip.We took a guided fishing trip on Lake Yellowstone and had a great time. The guide was very experiences and told us a lot of local history.

If the rodeo is still in Jackson at that time, it's a fun night out. The Alpine slide is fun also.

We have never gone that time of year. We prefer early June. We always make our reservations ahead of time. I suggest you call their central reservations and see what they recommend.

have a great trip.

Old Jul 30th, 2001, 08:53 AM
P

Sorry to piggyback onto this post but Sal if you're out there can you tell me what kind of room you get at Signal Mtn. I currently have reservations for next summer for a two-room rather than a lakeside because of the cost. Should I splurge?

Old Jul 30th, 2001, 03:15 PM
elaine

Kathy,

Suzanne (Hi, Suzanne!) and Sal gave you excellent advice. Your travel dates should not be too congested as many children are already back in school. My husband and I focused on Grand Teton for our visit. We took the hike Sal recommends (and we are not experienced hikers). Your family may enjoy a wildlife safari - it was formerly called Great Plains Wild Life Institute, but the name has changed to Teton Science. If interested check out:
www.tetonscience.org/wildlife/index.html
Taking the safari was memorable.
We did not need hiking boots. As Suzanne mentions, we also used Barker/Ewing and found it very enjoyable!
Have a wonderful vacation!

Old Jul 30th, 2001, 04:08 PM
ellen griswold

I ditto much of what the others have said.

I also wanted to alert you to Cody, Wyoming, the little cowboy town directly east of Yellowstone. If you find yourself with a rainy day, take in their Buffalo Bill Museum. While we're not big on museums, this one is a gem. Also, Cody also has a rodeo in the summer which was fun for the kids.

Old Jul 30th, 2001, 04:34 PM
Sal

P
When we booked our room at Signal Mountain, the only thing available was a two-room cabin, not on the lake. We were pleasantly surprised to find that, while not right on the lake, our cabin sat back around 200 feet off the lake with nothing to obstruct the view. Check with Signal Mountain to find out exactly where your cabin is. It's worth it to be on the lake--the sunsets are incredible!

Old Jul 31st, 2001, 07:26 PM
Kathy

Suzanne, thanks for the advice and thanks to the others who have replied. Suzanne, can you elaborate on the animal safari trip and the cowboy BBQ? Thanks.

Old Jul 31st, 2001, 08:35 PM
Lexma90

Kathy - I can't give you specific advice on horseback rides, rafting, etc., as my kids are too young to do that stuff yet, but I'd suggest you do all that during your time in Grand Teton & Jackson. You can easily spend all of your time in Yellowstone just visiting some of the geysers, hot springs & similar sights & taking a few short walks/hikes. A wonderful experience for your kids would be swimming in the Firehole river - the frigid mountain water is warmed by nearby geyser runoff, making it pleasantly tepid. The swimming location is marked on the maps handed out by the park service. My kids liked the Beehive Geyser the best - have your kids vote on what their favorite is!

Old Aug 2nd, 2001, 06:44 PM
Kathy

anyone just return from the Yellowstone area that can add any current advice?

Old Aug 17th, 2001, 08:24 AM
diane

Kathy, we just returned from Yellowstone and area and I can answer a few of your questions. As we drove along the Snake River from the south (toward Jackson), we noticed that the river seemed low and didn't show much white water (from the spots where we could see it high above on the highway). We inquired in Jackson and were told that the rafting was now class II level, maybe III in places, rather than the IV that it usually is. So yes, the water IS calmer in late summer, and I believe there is much more rafting out of Jackson. We inquired about a short raft trip out of Flagg Ranch (just south of the south entrance to Yellowstone), and found that they had discontinues rafting for the rest of the summer.

Jackson Lake is also low. When we inquired about renting canoes at Colter Bay, we found that they were no longer renting anything there as the water no longer reached the dock!! We visited Signal Mountain and they were still renting there.

I wrote a detailed account of our hike up to the falls and on to Inspiration Point (at Jenny Lake) a couple of days ago. We walked around the lake from the north end, parking in the String Lake parking area. Thus we were able to go later in the day (our entire 5-mile roundtrip hike went from approximately 4:30 to 7:30) and have the falls all to ourselves rather than with crowds of people. We mostly wore sneakers; my son had hiking shoes and said his feet hurt less on long hikes when he wears them. Carry some water with you (but don't drink too much--there're no bathrooms). Have fun!!!

Old Sep 3rd, 2001, 05:40 PM
Ed

Kathy: You are back now. What did you think? We are going next summer, kids same ages.

Old Sep 3rd, 2001, 06:15 PM
Kathy

Hi Ed, thanks for your interest in our trip. We had a great time. We went at a great time of the year when alot of kids are back in school but ours don't go back until after Labor Day. The park wasn't as crowded as I had heard it is in the summer. We were there August 24-27. The park is very large and the only thing I didn't like about it is the amount of driving that must be done to see the entire park. Would highly recommend the Old Faithful Inn. There is this magnificent lobby that people just hang around in at night. THere are tables throughout it where many families were playing games. We took some very nice hikes. The kids can tire a little of that so we also took a guided fishing trip from the Bridge Bay Marina. We found the Lake area to be very nice and also the Canyon area is very senic. If you're seeing other areas I would highly recommend the Grand Teton area where we stayed at the Signal Mountain lodge, rented a motor boat from their marina and had a great lakefront retreat with the most beautiful view of the mountains and the lake. We also spent 2 nights at the Jackson Hole area which was a nice change for the kids. My oldest (16) was happy to get back to civilization with a little more to do than just sight seeing. We took a white water trip while in Jackson which was one of the highlights of the trip. We're used to just going and beaching it for our vacations so this was a little different for us but we saw a beautiful part of the country and our kids will have some nice memories. E-mail me if you want anymore info, I'm no expert having been there just once but if I can help you out some more let me know.