Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Need ideas for quick 50th birthday getaway in mid March (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/need-ideas-for-quick-50th-birthday-getaway-in-mid-march-700176/)

missypie Apr 26th, 2007 06:11 AM

Need ideas for quick 50th birthday getaway in mid March

I am fortunate to almost always be away on Spring Break on my birthday. But next year - my 50th - 2 of my kids will be in Europe on a choir tour, and it will be Holy Week, so my church musician husband won't be able to get away for a week.

We could leave Dallas on Sunday afternoon (with our then 12 year old) and would need to return by Wednesday afternoon.

Any ideas of great getaway destinations just a short flight from Dallas? I'd consider New Orleans, but that is more fun without kids than with. We've done Austin and San Antonio too many times.

Santa Fe? Somewhere in Arizona?

dfr4848 Apr 26th, 2007 06:18 AM

With your son going, I'd vote for Santa Fe.

missypie Apr 26th, 2007 06:46 AM

You know, I had an email from Fodors, and it has a feature on great resorts in the southwest. It highlights a few in New Mexico that sound nice.

wally34949 Apr 26th, 2007 06:48 AM

Well, if you haven't taken the 12-year old to Disney World yet, that would be "Child Abuse."

PlumeriaTattoo Apr 26th, 2007 07:00 AM

New York City would be a fun getaway. Great food, see a show, shop, sightsee.

missypie Apr 26th, 2007 07:19 AM

We've been to WDW and are going again in November. That week will probably be one of the busiest in Disney history, anyway, with all the typical mid-March spring breaks colliding with the Holy Week spring breaks.

Any, we're all going to NYC in July.

Obviously great ideas everyone. Keep them coming.

dfr4848 Apr 26th, 2007 07:25 AM

Wally - having been before, IMO WDW is "adult abuse".

hulajake Apr 26th, 2007 12:40 PM

Sedona, Az and the Grand Canyon area.

bethmac Apr 26th, 2007 09:12 PM

I am thinking you could check prices on southwest for an inexpensive and short trip. Or maybe Phoneix on America west. If you drive, I like Hot Springs (spa for your big day, amusement or water park for your preteen). It's a lovely place to spend a couple of nights...quirky architecture, cute main street of shops, hiking in nat'l park, and spa prices are really good.

mclaurie Apr 27th, 2007 03:16 AM

San Diego. Something for everyone. Zoo, museums, good food, shopping, beach (although it won't be swimming weather). Mexico is another idea.

missypie Aug 1st, 2007 12:44 PM

Any more ideas, anyone?

jossin Aug 1st, 2007 12:57 PM

What about flying to Chihuahua,Mexico and taking the Copper Canyon train? Chihuahua is only 1.5 hours from Dallas on American.!

jbass Aug 1st, 2007 01:16 PM

I vote Mexico-but Puerto Vallarta-flight is under 2 hours. ((#))

mp Aug 1st, 2007 02:50 PM

What about San Francisco? Great food, stay in really nice hotel like the Ritz or the Huntington or 4 Seasons, alternate some museums with some kid stuff . . . give yourself some shopping time . . . maybe take a drive up to wine country or marin for the day if it get sunny . . .

Austin Aug 1st, 2007 03:46 PM

only 3 nights and arriving later on Sunday, I don't think that is enuf time for Mexico, personally. That sounds more like a family trip anyway.

I agree with San Diego or Sedona as well. What does your 12 year old enjoy doing? You?

volcanogirl Aug 1st, 2007 06:29 PM

San Diego, Santa Fe, Seattle, or Boston?

stumpworks73 Aug 1st, 2007 06:35 PM

With this much advance, you should be able to find modestly priced flights to Mexico City. Beautiful museums, churches, ancient pyramids not far. You can see a lot of world class culture and history in three days.

Like Dallas, you can dine economically or expensively.

missypie Aug 2nd, 2007 07:04 AM

"San Diego, Santa Fe, Seattle, or Boston?"

Our family went to San Diego a few years ago, Seattle a few years ago, and just returned from Boston. DH and I were in Santa Fe in maybe 1988. That was pretty high on my list...except then DS16-who will not be on the trip-started talking about how he'd really like to visit Santa Fe.

Mexico City is an interesting suggestion. I've been to beach resorts in Cancun and Telum and haven't really loved the experience. I know a few people who have lived in Mexico City and have left because they didn't want to raise a family there....but a couple of days might be interesting.

volcanogirl Aug 2nd, 2007 09:22 AM

Well, it looks like you've already been to all the places I want to go to! I'm a huge Georgia O'Keeffe fan, so Santa Fe is still on my to do list.

Have you considered Playa del Carmen?

msdotliz Aug 2nd, 2007 10:01 AM

How about Cabo?

Also, have you done Wimberley - rent a house up in the hills?