Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Need Hotel in Bakersfield, CA (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/need-hotel-in-bakersfield-ca-226642/)

Jen May 30th, 2002 06:34 PM

Need Hotel in Bakersfield, CA

Can anyone recommend a hotel in Bakersfield? We're on our way somewhere else, and need a place for the night. Is there anyplace that's considered a cut above, or is it pretty much just road hotels/motels? Thanks.

gail May 31st, 2002 07:25 AM

Hampton Inn was quite nice. It is clean. staff are very accomodating and free breakfast in the morning...all this for $72.00 a night! I was happy with choice.1017 Oak Street<BR>(661) 633-0333 or 1-800-Hampton.

k May 31st, 2002 07:55 AM

It seems horrible that you'd have to spend $72 to spend the night in Bakersfield. Is there a reason that you have chosen Bakersfield for the night, or are there other options? Where are you headed to after Bakersfield?

virginia May 31st, 2002 07:58 AM

We often overnight in Bakersfield at the Marriott Courtyard. It feels like a much more expensive hotel, and it's right near the Kern River bike path for a morning run. You still smell the oil fields, tho.

John May 31st, 2002 08:05 AM

Check out Biddingfortravel.com for successful Priceline.com bids for Bakersfield. It looks like 3 star (Doubletree, etc.) or 2 1/2 star (Courtyard etc.) nights can be had for $40-$50.

Jen May 31st, 2002 08:54 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. I don't mind spending $72 to spend the night in Bakersfield. We are going there to celebrate the birthday of a dear friend.<BR><BR>Has anyone stayed at Best Western Hill House? They allow dogs, which would be helpful. There's also a 4 Points Sheraton that looks OK. Thanks again.<BR><BR>Jen

Doug May 31st, 2002 05:03 PM

I heard the Doubletree was nice -- I think they take dogs as well.

pdx Oct 7th, 2006 06:45 AM

Anyone with recent experience overnighting in Bakersfield? Tripadvisor reviews present a dismal forecast. I'm hoping for clean, under $100 and most of all, Quiet.

Curious Oct 7th, 2006 10:44 AM

Most people advoid Bakersfield if at all possible. One of the many pit stops in the San Joaquin Valley in California.

It's not all palm trees (which are dying off and being replaced with other trees) and sunshine with hot bodies in bikinis.

Bakersfield is more cricket oil wells and smog. Also look out for dust storms that will strip the paint from your car.

Curious

pdx Oct 7th, 2006 11:11 AM

Curious - I grew up in Needles, not noted for glamorous surroundings, and even we considered Bakersfield a place to avoid. However, we'll need a hotel on our way down to Bullhead and Needles and my boyfriend plans on Bakersfield. I just want a good nights sleep. Our last trip we stopped at a La Quinta and were awakened several times with noise from the hallway, stairwell, and parking lot. We were miserable and I want to avoid another night like that if possible.

laurenzo Oct 7th, 2006 12:19 PM

I've had the pleasure (not!) of staying in Bakersfield quite a few times for my daughter's basketball tournaments. We've stayed at Four Points Sheraton, Holiday Inn Express, and the Doubletree. All three were fine and under 100 a night. Actually, Bakersfield has gotten nicer over the years with the rise of population and nicer-end homes.

sightseer Oct 7th, 2006 07:40 PM

I've stayed at the Four Seasons several times on business trips and each time, I've been woken up by the noises in the adjacent rooms (and I tend to be a sound sleeper). If you do stay there, make sure to request a ground floor room, since there are no elevators.

janisj Oct 7th, 2006 07:56 PM

Your boyfriend actually <u>chose</u> B'field?? Sounds like a character flaw to me :)

Can't you break your journey somewhere else? Where are you starting out from?

pdx Oct 7th, 2006 10:11 PM

isn't it a strange choice? i think it's because he's stayed there before, therefore it's the stopping place for the rest of his life. we're coming out of portland. i was opting for Los Banos. i like the rolling hills around there and, well, it's not b'field.

janisj Oct 8th, 2006 06:05 AM

Would Bakersfield be your only stopover after Portland? If so - Gawd! what a trek!

I'd stop earlier - heck, even Fresno would be better than Bakersfield (and the is faint praise for sure). But Fresno is on 99 and not I-5, so it is off your route.

If it is to be Bakersfield - I'd think the Four points Sheraton would meet your needs. Not a bad place at all. (I used to have to stop in B'field 2 or 3 time a year for business - thankfully no more)

jamesr3939 Oct 22nd, 2006 07:33 PM

Double Tree was doing a major remodel when I was there a few months ago. No noise and should help it look a little better. I have done Courtyard, Residence Inn, and DT. They all seem about the same in what you get. I like the RI due to the extra room and a kitchen, but then I usually stay a few days.

If it is just for the night then I would go with the Double Tree. Also, believe it or not the Double Tree charged for parking!