Reload this Page >

Need hotel advice- Island of Hawaii

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17th, 2000, 03:11 PM
LM

We are traveling to the big island and need help deciding between the Orchid at Mauna Lani and the two Westins, the Mauna Kea and the Hapuna or even the Hilton Waikola. Can anyone recommend one over the others?

Old Jul 17th, 2000, 04:16 PM
Paul

LM:
We just returned from a stay on the Big Island two weeks ago. We stayed at the Hapuna Beach Prince and thought that it was terrific. We walked down to the Mauna Kea and it looked very nice as well. The beach at Hapuna is definitely the nicest I have ever been on. I visited the Hilton and found it to be very interesting and lively but pretty spread out. If you prefer alot of activity then the Hilton would have it over Hapuna, but if you prefer quiet beauty with a terrific beach and nice pool area, I would prefer Hapuna Beach. The Hilton really doesn't have much of a beach to speak of. I did not visit the Orchid but have heard that it is very nice. Also, if the beach is important to you, the one at Mauna Kea was also nice and walking distance from Hapuna Beach. My wife and I also found the restaurant overlooking Hapuna Beach very good. I think it's called the Coast Grill. Both the Westin properties had really nice golf courses, but I guess that they all do...

Enjoy

Old Jul 17th, 2000, 05:46 PM
Carol

What do you want from the resort? If you have kids in tow, the Waikoloa is your best bet IMO.
The Orchid used to be a Ritz, is nice but convention-ey at times, small but nice beach, good pool.
WMK is not in the same league as the others.
Four Seasons and Mauna Lani Bay are my favorites, but I haven't been to the WHB.

Old Jul 17th, 2000, 07:26 PM
LM

Paul and Carol,
Thanks for your response. Carol can you tell me more about the Mauna Lani Bay (I believe it is a pan pacific property) The four seasons seems to be sold out at least via the web, any idea of prices? I am concerned as I have read that the MK and Hapuna are both cold environments

Old Jul 18th, 2000, 04:49 AM
Frank

I have stayed at the Hapuna Beach Prince, the Four Seasons and at the Outrigger Waikoloa. Be advised that if you are travelling between December and March, the beautiful Hapuna beach will have rough surf and a good portion of the sand beach will be taken over by the ocean. Also note that the Four Seasons, although a beautiful hotel, has no real beach at all; instead, it has a series of wonderful pools. Actually, I prefer "A-Bay", the crescent-shaped beach behind the Outrigger Waikoloa, but the Outrigger doesn't compare in other respects to the hotels you are considering.
You have heard that the Hapuna Beach Prince is "cold"...although its a beautiful hotel, it was very empty when I was there (December 1998) and it felt sterile. I did, however, enjoy the hotel's Coast Grill and its Hakone restaurant (authentic Japanese cuisine). It is a good choice if you want a quiet hotel, conveniently located....just remember that its famed beach can be rough in the winter and its pool is very modest. As the others have said, the Hilton Waikoloa is spread out and perfect if you're bringing children along. All of the hotels on the Kohala Coast are world class and won't disappoint. As for restaurants to consider, try Roy's (in the Kings Shoppes), Merriman's (in Waimea) and Oodles of Noodles (in Kona).
Enjoy!