Search

Need help with Virginia-to-NY familh road trip

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8th, 2008, 11:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help with Virginia-to-NY familh road trip

Hi all,

I recently found out that we (husband + 8 & 4-year-old boys + me) have to be at a wedding this July at Smith Mountain Lake State Park in Virginia. Afterward, we're planning to take 3 days or so to drive our way north to NY, where my in-laws live.

So! I'm looking for ideas about which route to take, what to see and do along the way, etc. The boys love water - put them on a beach and they're happy for days. But they also enjoy short-ish hikes and just about any opportunity to see animals (especially reptiles . Rocks are big for them, too. My husband and I enjoy all that stuff, but we also like interesting food/wine, etc.

I'd love to hear some suggestions and hints about that old-timey candy store where you used to go every summer as a kid, the weird-o roadside attraction that you begged your parents to stop at, the perfect view, etc. We need to get to NY, but we'd like to have some fun along the way.

My assumption is that we'll be staying at non-descript motels as we find them...unless anyone can offer some better suggestions.

Many, many thanks in advance for your ideas!
Old Apr 8th, 2008, 12:31 PM

Smith Mountain Lake is fairly close to Shenadoah National Park in Virginia, which has some very nice hiking and some good caverns nearby. There are also many decent wineries in Virginia on the east side of the Shenadoah mountains, as well as Charlottesville and Monticello. Most ocean beaches south of new Jersey (Delaware, Maryland, Virginia) will take you out of your way east (by quite a bit) so if you must stop at the beach, I would suggest somewhere on the southern New Jersey coast. You could possibly stop in Baltimore which has a great aquarium , a beautiful baseball stadium (Orioles) a wonderful Inner Harbor (good science and children's museums) and the super cool American Museum of Visionary Art. Whatever you do, have a great trip!
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 09:38 AM
Original Poster

Great! I'll do some winery research. As for beaches, any specific suggestions for a one-day stop?
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 11:45 AM

Check out Natural Bridge near Lexington, Va. http://www.naturalbridgeva.com/ for a lot of activities, including apparently a dinosaur museum -- your boys might love that.

The Virginia Wineries website is http://www.virginiawines.org/

And I recommend either picking up or ordering the Virginia Map of Scenic Roads. You can order it free at http://tinyurl.com/ghgnr I always consult this map when I'm driving through Virginia, which ends up being 3-4 times a year. I avoid the Interstates in Virginia whenever possible because they're congested and the alternate routes are so nice.

Don't forget also that the Blue Ridge Parkway is closeby offering nice drives, hikes, scenery, etc. This may be a little out of the way, but you can check out Crabtree Falls: http://www.nelsoncounty.com/visit/crabtreefalls

Old Apr 9th, 2008, 11:48 AM

Also check out Fairy Stones State Park, it's near Smith Mountain Lake:
http://www.dcr.virginia.gov/state_parks/fai.shtml
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 11:51 AM

Where in NY are you going? Please remember that NY is soooo much more than NYC
Old Apr 11th, 2008, 09:34 PM
Original Poster

To answer the last question, we'll be heading to Westchester County to visit my in-laws. I'm not so concerned about that part of the trip because we get to the NY area pretty darn often. But the drive...I'm excited to see and do good stuff.
Old May 8th, 2008, 10:06 AM

The Brandywine Valley and Wilmington Delaware can offer you full days of family adventure and excellent dining. Just off I-95 it is right on the way to NY.
There are hotels at Rt. 7 North or on Rt 202 North for all budgets. But don't eat at the chains there are much better choices. Here are my tops for families.
Hagley Museum - birthplace of duPont Company - the original blackpowder mill with working water mill on the creek and interactive interpreters and exhibits for kids of all ages!
Canoe or tube on the Brandywine - outfitter is on Rt. 202 - plan 4 hours to canoe or tube.
Wilmington and Western Railroad - antique steam engine and cars takes route along Red Clay Creek -great fun to ride these old trains through beautiful scenery - all run by volunteers.
Brandywine Zoo at Brandywine Creek Park - small zoo -
Tour or sail on the tall ship Kalmar Nyckel - check website for schedule
Best food - eat homemade ice cream on the farm where it is made - Woodside Farm Creamery, Hockessin - eat at picnic tables and say hello to the Jersey cows - on weekends there are bluegrass bands - (Gourmet magazine found out our secret and the word is out, now! - cash only here) check the website.
Rita's Water ice - a Delaware tradition - look for the red and white awnings and long lines on hot days for the walkup stands - Pick mango or lemon or from list on daily board - add a soft frozen custard swirl for a creamsicle effect. My grown up fav - cappuccino with a swirl of vanilla custard. yum.
Grown ups - tour the Twin Lakes Brewery (Sat. and Wed. only) or just the tasting room upstairs. If it’s closed you can get it on tap locally - Buckley’s Tavern in Centreville is favorite historic local watering hole eatery with great chef created food - casual and family friendly in village. Nice upstairs roof patio. Call ahead for reservations!
There are also wineries on PA Rt. 1 in Chadds Ford and in Landenberg on Rt. 41. Chef Dan Butler has Brandywine Prime and just opened another more casual eater on Rt.1 in Chadds Ford.

Lots of choices for chef created meals in DE - Toscana ( another Dan Butler place) and next to Moore Brothers Wine shop - a real find!!! Iron Hill Brewery on Riverfront (another local brewery and on the riverfront downtown). Harry's seafood on the river - very fun exposed brick and outside patio. Many choices in Trolley Square - it is a nightlife area after dark - but very family friendly for meals - CR Hooligans is big sports restaurant with big burgers! Cromwell’s in Greenville is cozy casual neighborhood place with good food and Twin Lakes on tap, too. Jasmines for sushi; Brewhaha for local coffee house -the best. Sweet Basil for Thai. Best crab cake - they're good everywhere - Buckley's are great. Pizza by Elizabeths - gourmet pizza. Capriotti subs - another DE legend that has to be tasted to be believed.
Check schedule for Blue Rocks Baseball - minor league team with stadium at Riverfront - the mascots are great and theme nights this year promise to be much fun - fireworks nights here, too, are great! Promo giveaways, too. For better details Google Brandywine valley, Wilmington convention & visitors, in Wilmington, out and about de, Hagley Museum - you and the boys will love it.