Reload this Page >

Best and safest areas to work/live in Manhattan

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7th, 2001, 03:39 PM
ss

Will be in New York City in one of the following Hospitals. Lenox Hill at 100 east 77th, NY Presbyterian at 525 east 68th or Beth Israel at 1st Ave and 16th St. Looking for advice on location as well if you have knowledge of health care at these locations

Old Oct 7th, 2001, 05:00 PM
Diane

Lenox Hill and NY Presbyterian are both on the "upper east side" and very classy neighborhoods. Beth Israel in in lower Manhattan. It is very expensive living in Manhattan. Visit the NYTimes and Village Voice websites to check out adds for apartments to get an idea of what you will pay in rent. Get yourself to a good book store and purchase a good map AND one of the subway system. NYC is a fabulous place to live...I think everyone should have an opportunity to try it if they can.

Old Oct 7th, 2001, 05:21 PM
Diane

Try this url to an article from Time Out NY, which tells you about different neighborhoods and provides some price ranges: http://www.timeoutny.com/features/18...pt.opener.html

Old Oct 8th, 2001, 06:41 AM
Philip

Is your heart really set on living in Manhattan. Since all of those hospitals are on the east side, you may want to try living in Queens. You can get a cheaper place with more space by living in either Long Island City or Astoria.

Old Oct 9th, 2001, 09:04 AM
Christina

I'm a consultant in the health care field and have done some work for hospitals and their assns, so just have a few words on those places. All are considered high-quality hospitals, so you can't go wrong in that regard; some may be better in certain specialties than others, eg, I know NY Presbyterian is supposed to be especially good in psychiatry and neurology, I think Lenox Hill is noted for its cardiac program. So, I'd recommend you consult with someone more closely in your field or profession on specifics, if you are by any chance looking for a residency, your professors should help you on that score.

Old Oct 9th, 2001, 09:56 AM
Frank

It would help to know your budget regarding living in Manhattan. Assuming you are prepared to spend approximately $2,000 per month for a large studio or small one bedroom, I would recommend the Sutton/Beekman Place area which runs from about E.49th Street to E.59th Street between 2nd Avenue and the East River. The area is clean, safe, upscale and very convenient to the hospitals you mention and within walking distance of all the midtown attractions.

Old Oct 9th, 2001, 11:30 AM
Caitlin

In terms of safety, the neighborhoods all these places are in are fine. If you are interested in living near to your workplace and are concerned about rents, Beth Israel is in a more affordable area. There is also a lot more going on around and convenient to this location--in terms of shopping, movie theaters, etc. than on the upper east side, but it is both easy and safe to get around Manhattan via public transit.

You don't say if you're a physician, nurse, or other healthcare professional. If are in a residency, all the hospitals have housing for residents, and some for attendings as well, that is partially subsidized, making the rents less (sometimes much less) than those for equivalent places in the same neighborhoods. (Most residency programs offer a monthly rent stipend as well for those who don't live in staff housing). My boyfriend is a resident at another NYC hospital, and says that BI has a reputation for running their residence fairly ragged and for not offering much instruction. The surgery dept. there has been plagued with a few high-publicity lapses (not having to do with residents)during the past few years as well.

As Christina noted, however, all three hospitals have excelent reputations re medical services and are considered desirable locations to work (at least for physicians--I don't know about nursing, etc.) and have many particularly strong departments.

Old Oct 10th, 2001, 03:51 PM
Ellizabeth

If you are young and are hoping to get out once in awhile and have some fun, Beth Israel is in by far the best location for you from that angle.

Lenox Hill is much closer to a subway than the one in the far east 60s, which is the farthest. This can matter. All 3 neighborhoods are safe. The neighborhood of Presbyterian is the LEAST interesting with the least to do, it's close to being suburban in feeling (that is relative, it won't seem so suburban to a non-NYer).

Also: to make things as hard as possible: I would guess you'd get the most space for your money on the far upper east Side (East of First Avenue). That has been the case for awhile. Second best, near Lenox Hill, looking to the east of it (like 2nd Ave, 1st Ave).

Area around Beth Israel, though much grungier (but still safe) is fewer sqaure feet for the $ as it is downtown.

These are generalizations, of course, some people walk into town and find a big aparment somebody pays them to live in to feed a cat. Good luck!!