Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Need help with San Francisco & Sonoma Itinerary

Apr 16th, 2016, 09:12 AM
erp
Original Poster

After much back and forth, my husband & I and our sister/brother in law are travelling to San Francisco in August for one week. We are in our 50's. We are planning to arrive in San Fran on a Saturday and then drive to Sonoma and stay through to Tuesday morning and drive to San Fran. We need help with hotels in both areas. In San Fran, want to stay in Union Square area. In Sonoma, stay in town area so we walk around. Our budget is approximately $300/night, and if we could even do a little less that would be nice. We also need some restaurant ideas, and would love to get suggestions on more local restaurants vs. tourist type. We expect to do a lot of walking in San Fran. I've already got some ideas for day itinerary in San Fran, but any ideas are welcome, especially if different than the usual to do list. Much thanks.
Apr 16th, 2016, 09:26 AM

Just curious whether you have checked what hotels are available for your price and dates in the Union Square area? Without knowing specific dates, it's hard to recommend anything, since the price of hotels is "dynamic" (dependent on what's going on in town that day/week). In the Union Square area, there are hotels in every * category and price range. Also, will you have a car or are you going to return the car when you get to SF (parking is VERY expensive). I'd suggest giving us a list of hotels and then people can comment on your selections.
Apr 16th, 2016, 09:31 AM

$300 per night for each couple or for both couples combined? Makes a huge difference, especially in San Francisco.

As for "what to do" what interests you and yours? What ideas do you already have so we don't need to repeat them.

It appears you will have 3 1/2 days in San Francisco, is that correct?

For a starter, I highly recommend at least 1 (if not more) of the donation only walking tours sponsored by SF Public Library. A great way know the city from several different view points and perspectives; there are tours for just about every interest.

http://www.sfcityguides.org

As far as restaurants, SF has a plethora of restaurants to choose from in every cuisine and price range that are frequented by locals as well as tourists. If you want locals only, you'll find them more abundant when you head out of the Central area and into communities like Noe Valley.
Apr 16th, 2016, 09:42 AM

In the town of Sonoma, we have stayed at the Best Western Sonoma Valley Inn. Just a block from the town square.
Apr 16th, 2016, 10:23 AM

Sorry. I had to get biscuits out of the oven the Best Western was handy to walk to the town square, shops and restaurants. We were there for only one night for a wedding.
Apr 16th, 2016, 10:23 AM

When you say "in Sonoma", are you married to the town of Sonoma, or would you consider other towns in the valley, such as Glen Ellen, or Healdsburg?
Apr 16th, 2016, 11:03 AM
erp
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. Some answers: a) $300 per couple; b) we will not have a car in San Fran. WIll drop it off on the return from Sonoma c) yes, we're open to outside the Sonoma town such as Glen Elle or healdsburg d) ideas include Alcatraz, Chinatown, Financial area -- a lot of walking. So mostly the most popular areas that i've read about to date.
Apr 16th, 2016, 04:05 PM

I am guessing that this is your 1st visit to SF. We absolutely love the city and have been many times.

We still like seeing "tourist" sites, after all we are tourists! We had never been to The Japanese Gardens and did so last trip; it was lovely.

We have also gone "off the usual path" and had great adventures too.
We went up to Sutro Towers and Twin Peaks [ok, still tourist attractions]; we have wandered thru Potrero Hill and Dog Patch.
You get my drift...LOTS to see and do.

Again, I highly recommend the walking tours I linked to above. If nothing else, read over the various tours [there's LOTS of them] to get ideas of what interests you and yours.
Apr 17th, 2016, 03:03 PM

Well, in wine country, we prefer Healdsburg over Sonoma town, and the Hotel Healdsburg is our absolute fave, although it's a budget buster, usually. If you can snag it for $300, go for it, the included breakfast is awesome. Its sister property, the h2 hotel, might be more affordable. Scopa, Dry Creek Kitchen, Barn Diva, Matteo's, Spoon Bar are all restaurants in Healdsburg that I can recommend, and Bear Republic's tap room (craft beer) is great, too.

In Glen Ellen, we have stayed at the Gaige House and thought it very nice indeed. Lovely breakfasts, and a nice wine/cheese reception daily. Location kind of walkable to restaurants, but along dark roads.