Need Help With Maui Marriott(s)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17th, 2003, 11:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I started researching the Maui Marriott in Lahaina. The reviews sound great but I am confused about some of the other comments I read in here. Is the beach nice at this hotel? Can you snorkel off of it? Are there a lot of activities to do in this area? Are the rooms nice since they have and are still remodeling? This would be for a surprise family vacation for about 8 adults and 4 young kids under 4 yrs old. Would this be a good location for us? We are trying to stick with Marriott's because many of us have points with them.
Old Sep 18th, 2003, 03:16 AM

I am curious for someone to respond that has stayed there.This is what we felt while visiting Maui on a day trip we checked out the Marriott for future visits since we also use points. We were glad we did because from what we saw we decided we would not stay there. It was under construction. The lobby was chaotic, the pool was packed, the chairs by the pull full and there was food all over the ground surrounding the pool area. It is also in a very dense area of hotels. We have friends that checked in and out within hours since it was not what they expected.
The Marriott Kaui looked nicer and a more spread out resort if you want to stick with a Marriott. Good Luck!
Old Sep 18th, 2003, 03:56 AM

we spent july19-26 there and it was wonderful. we stayed on the fifth floor, 2 connecting rooms, one for my 3 sons (7,12,13) and a corner suite for my husband and me. the construction was on the 7 and 8 floor, and its all inside the rooms. they leave the 6th floor empty. . we never heard any noise at all, even on the balcony. the pool was wonderful, not too crowded that you couldnt get chairs or cocktail service
Old Sep 18th, 2003, 04:11 AM

construction is set to finish in october. there wasnt any outside work being done except for by the ocean walk, they are making little cabana areas. the grounds are beautiful, however, all of kaanapali was experiencing beach errosion. the marriott area was not as bad as kaanapaali ali down to whalers village. we swam and snorkeled every day, a little further down, huge palm trees were bungeed to the kaanapali ali hotel to keep them from falling in the ocean. snorkeling at black rock was not good because all the beach washes down to that area and makes it very cloudy. the hotels pool is very large and it also has a great kiddie area pirate ship. that area was never crowded. service was great, food was good and the rooms were beautiful. my kids loved the hotel and the area because everything was in walking distance. they took surfing lessons on the beach, parasailed from whalers village. played tennis. our 2 rooms were all paid for by points and they gave us the upgraded suite when they found out it was our anniversary. this was our 3rd time at the maui marriott and it was really wonderful.
Old Sep 18th, 2003, 07:56 AM

It probably depends on the time of year you go but since it is a timeshare property it will be more crowded at the Marriott during the off season than it is at neighboring hotels. We went in November and though the hotel itself was busy we didn't really have any problems getting space at the pool or service. Our kids loved the pool with the waterfalls and slides. The kiddie section with the pirate ship is for the really young kids and has a sandy bottom.

We thought our room was nice but it's layout was like any hotel room. It had 2 queens, a fridge, in room safe and a large lanai. We had a room over the luau so we had music in the evening while we changed out of our suits for dinner.

We liked the location very much because it is close to Whalers Village and Black Rock.

There was very little construction going on in Nov though.
Old Sep 18th, 2003, 07:33 PM

We've stayed there several times but it was a few years ago. Regarding snorkeling, there was a reef right off the beach with good snorkeling. The beach was very small.

You can also redeem Marriott points at the Ritz-Carlton in Kapalua. We stayed there in March and the property was gorgeous. There were a lot of families with little kids as well.
Old Sep 18th, 2003, 10:02 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for their input. We would be looking at Mid to late April. As far as the errosion, I haven't heard anyone say that it was really bad during that time of year. The amount of great comments under the hotel section seem to outweigh the bad and as long as construction is complete by April that should be fine. Does anyone know if this is near a busy harbor (I may be confusing this with another property I researched awhile back). For some reason this Marriott sounds more appealing than the other one on Maui (outrigger I think) even though I have heard people advise to stay there instead. Would anyone say the Marriott(s) on Kauai as family friendly?
Old Sep 19th, 2003, 12:03 PM

From lenleigh: "For some reason this Marriott sounds more appealing than the other one on Maui (outrigger I think)even though I have heard people advise to stay there instead. Would anyone say the Marriott(s) on Kauai as family friendly?
----------------------------------------
The Marriott Outrigger Wailea is not as nice as the Maui Marriott in Lahaina. It's basically an Outrigger property (which usually aren't the nicest) being allowed to use the Marriotts name as a marketing tool. As for the Marriotts on Kauai...yes, it's very family friendly!