Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Need help with lodging please - Moab and en route back to Las Vegas (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/need-help-with-lodging-please-moab-and-en-route-back-to-las-vegas-597490/)

Chrissie_Novelle Mar 8th, 2006 12:03 PM

Need help with lodging please - Moab and en route back to Las Vegas

Our itinerary is coming along nicely ( thank you Fodorites) need help with the following please :
Lodging for 2 nights in Moab. Should we stay in the town or outside ?. NOISE is an issue as we are both light sleepers! Would like something not too expensive with a view if possible.
Then - we have 3 days to drive from Moab - thru Monument Valley back to Las Vegas. We were thinking of going via Mexican Hat/ Kayenta/Page/St George and then onto Las Vegas. We have to back on the last day in time for our flight that leaves at 1640.

Any ideas for places to stay along this route please - that would break our journey into managable sections and leave us time to do the sightseeing ( Indian excursion in Monument Valley and Boat Trip on Lake Powell etc etc) Many thanks

npurpleh2 Mar 8th, 2006 06:43 PM

Springdale, Utah near Zion has some basic hotels with great views. The Best Western was clean, nice and had a great view. The town is very close to Zion to the entrance to Zion National Park and you can take a shuttle to the entrance from the Best Western. It is a great park for anywhere from a half day of hiking to much longer.

tovarich Mar 9th, 2006 03:27 AM

In Moab we stayed at the Apache motel,very quiet. This is the motel where John Wayne stayed while making western in the neighbourhood.In Zion, as already suggested, the Best western is great.Try the Chinese restaurant in Springdale.Paul

sharondi Mar 9th, 2006 04:37 AM

chrissie,
In Moab, we really enjoyed being in town so we could walk to everything. The first time we went, we stayed at the edge of town and had to drive everywhere. In town, we had a jr. suite ($79/night) at the River Canyon Lodge (just a fancy name for the Microtel). It was just fine and a block off the main drag so it was quiet - no road noise. As far as views go, I'm not sure you'll really find that in Moab.
On one of our trips, we went from Moab south to Mexican Hat where we stayed at the Valley of the Gods B&B - an amazing place located at the bottom of the Moki Dugway and surrounded by the Valley of the Gods. Talk about views! Highly recommended. We also love Springdale. You can easily make if from Springdale to LV in time for your flight. It's only a 2 1/2 hr drive.

Chrissie_Novelle Mar 9th, 2006 06:25 AM

Thanks everyone for the advice - how do we book Valley of the Gods b&b from the UK? -have looked at their website and doesn't seem to be a link ....
also - we are stopping in Springdale en route up to Torrey at the begining of our trip ( have booked the Rodeo Inn ) so we were looking for somewhere else for the return leg of our journey. If we drive from Moab down to Mexican Hat , stay there one night - then is it possible to drive to Page and stay there one night then onto St George for our last night? Or does anyone have any other suggestions please .

dewars Mar 9th, 2006 07:33 AM

Not sure when you are going but remember that Moab is extremely busy the week prior to Easter with the annual Easter Jeep Safarie. All the Motels will be booked.

dewars

Diz01 Mar 9th, 2006 11:14 AM

We booked Valley of the Gods B&B just by calling them (from the UK). Worked fine.

Diz01

Where2Travel Mar 9th, 2006 02:15 PM

Have you considered staying in Gouldings Lodge rather than Mexican Hat? Gouldings is the ideal location for seeing Monument Valley and unless budget is a major issue, I can't see it's worth staying on Mexican Hat when Gouldings is only 20 or so miles further on. However, if you have time Goosenecks State Park and the Moki Dugway to Muley Point are worthwhile visits near Mexican Hat.

It's easy to travel from Monument Valley to Page in a few hours and to spend a night there. I'd recommend going to Antelope Slot Canyon while in Page and maybe the Horseshoe Bend if you have time.

We also stayed in Springdale to visit Zion. We stopped in St George on our way back to Las Vegas. I can't see a reason to stay in St George unless the location was more convenient for your trip. I wouldn't stay at St George just because you have already stayed in Springdale going the other way unless there are things there you want to see.

peterboy Mar 10th, 2006 10:26 AM

"I can't see it's worth staying on Mexican Hat when Gouldings is only 20 or so miles further on."

Well, because the Valley of the Gods B&B (which isn't in Mexican Hat reallY just near it) is such a unique place in such a stunning location whereas Gouldings is simply a place crash who's only outstanding feature is that it is near MV.

Here's a look at the B&B from our '03 trip. We happened to arrive in the middle of the biggest rainstorm in 10 years...it washed out the Moki Dugway much to our disappointment. The only downside to the B&B is that it is far from anyplace to eat dinner place. If you bring your own food however, you're free to use the kitchen. We stocked up on provisions for the evening before leaving Moab so we were able to spend the evening at the B&B sipping wine on the huge porch. Great hosts and great memories.

Pictures of the B&B start on this page and go for a few more:

http://www.pbase.com/peterb/utah_03&page=23

Weezie Mar 14th, 2006 05:23 PM

For lodging in Moab I can't say enough terrific things about Dream Keeper Inn. Check out their web site at http://www.moab-utah.com/dreamkeeper/index.html
We just got back from there and Dave and Kim really know how to make you feel at home. The sit down breakfast was gourmet (you choose the time you would like to eat), we loved the hot tub, they had a library of over 500 current movie titles to take back to your room, the rooms were beautiful with antiques, it was cleaner than clean, we loved the feather comforters, it was very quiet but an easy walk into town, they had tons of information available for their guests...I could go on forever. And we will be going back.

Dayle Mar 15th, 2006 08:54 AM

Hi Weezie,

Glad to hear your enjoyed the Dreamkeeper. I visit at least once a year and have been a guest through 3 different owners now. I'm so glad Dave and Kim are keeping up the standards.

KathrynT Mar 15th, 2006 09:13 AM

We stayed at the Aarchway Hotel two summers ago and found it very clean and quiet. It is on the edge of town (near Arches NP.) It has a nice pool and breakfast is included but it does not have a great view.

chuckstickens Mar 15th, 2006 08:41 PM

Hello Chrissie - I basically did the same thing you are doing - we stayed at Dreamkatchers Bed and Breakfast at Lake Powell - its about two hours from Monument Valley - they booked us on a boat tour on the lake - was spectacular - and the day we had to go to Las Vegas had an early breakfast - 4 hours to Las Vegas from there - you have to stay two nights to enjoy the area.

Chuck

chuckstickens Mar 15th, 2006 08:48 PM

Got so carried away with your itinerary - I did not give justice to Dreamkatchers Lake Powell Bed and Breakfast - it was truly one of the best experiences that we have had in the United States - the food was delicious, filling and no need for lunch - the hosts were knowledgeable and the house was spotless - and only 7 miles from the Lake where we had our tour. Hope that we have helped a little - we always use recommendations on this site for our travels.

Chuck