Need help with Kauai Lodging and Itinerary in November

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18th, 2011, 06:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are going to Kauai for 9 days in November. We get in late the first night, so I was considering staying somewhere in Lihue. We were then considering spending 2 nights on the North Shore and 5 nights in Poipu. Anyone have any thoughts about this... if those are good amounts of time in each place? We are interested in snorkeling, surfing (first time), beaches, waterfalls and maybe a wee bit of hiking. But we really do want to relax!

Secondly, does anyone have any recommendations for lodging on either shore? We really would like to be on the ocean and I think we would also really like to have a pool. Trying to stay around $200 or so per night.

Thanks for any input!
Old Jul 18th, 2011, 08:50 PM

Hotels -

I have stayed several times at the The Grand Hyatt in Poipu. It is a great resort. I think it may fall into your budget. If the rates are too expensive on booking sites, try NYOP on Priceline. People often win this resort from $150-$200 per night. On The North Shore, I have only stayed at The St. Regis Resort. It is an excellent resort. Unfortunately, I don't think it is in your price range.

Beaches-

My favorite beaches are Polihale State Park & Kauapea for relaxing. Hiking is required to access Kauapea. Rental car companies do not want you to visit Polihale. I always go anyway, and I have never incurred any problems. A 4 wheel drive vehicle is best to access Polihale, but it is not necessary. If the North shore is getting pounded by large waves, I go to Anini. Makua is great for surfing during the Winter & Kuhio is great during the Summer. However, these are too advanced for a beginner, but great for watching the action.

Snorkeling -

Ha'ena State Park: Ke'e Beach

Makua (Tunnels) Beach

Kuhio Beach during the Winter

Surf Lessons -

Michael Rodger has a great reputation. I sent a couple of friends to him and they learned a great deal and had an excellent time.

http://www.kauaiexperience.com/

Waterfalls -

The best waterfalls are only accessible by hiking or an air tour. Wailua Falls is the best w/out having to hike. The pool below is magnificent to swim in

Guide Book -

I recommend The Ultimate Kauai Guidebook: Kauai Revealed. It is a wealth of information.

Though not in your post, Waimea Canyon is a must.

http://www.kauaiexplorer.com/ is a good website to whet your appetite.

I hope you have a great trip. Be safe and use caution when visiting the beaches. Mother nature can be merciless.
Old Jul 19th, 2011, 09:53 AM

Aloha oceanlight,

I think kerouackid has steered you to some excellent activity resources!

As for breaking up your stay, I would highly recommend splitting the stay in half between north and south shores. This will allow you to get a good taste of both. You can always stop in the Lihue area on arrival and on your way to/from the other sides of the island.

We usually stay on the north shore the first part of our trip and then go to the south shore for the second half. On the north shore, you may want to consider staying at a condo resort that has a pool, ocean view and all the comforts of home. While I think this condo is best, there are many within your price range: www.keihasparadise.com or on VRBO at http://www.vrbo.com/38509.

On the south shore, if you wanted to switch to hotel living, The Grand Hyatt is definitely a nice choice. Again there are many options for condos on the south shore and VRBO is a great resource.

November is a great time to visit Kauai! Have a wonderful time!
Old Jul 19th, 2011, 12:34 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your great info! I am researching it all!
Old Jul 19th, 2011, 12:39 PM
Original Poster

I have been reading that the ocean is more wild on the North side in November. Does that pretty much rule out snorkeling at all on the North beaches?
Old Jul 19th, 2011, 09:51 PM

You should always check ocean conditions. You will be able to get a report from your hotel. If the surf is too high, the water will be murky and not suitable for snorkeling anyway. If the reports are good, go at low tide & speak with a lifeguard on duty. The water is calmer at low tide. Ke'e, Makua, Lydgate & Poipu have lifeguards. If the surf is too high, you can visit other spots. Lydgate is on the east shore. Poipu, Kuhio and Lawai are on the south.
Old Jul 20th, 2011, 02:07 PM

Poipu area condo..Poipu Shores is very nice. sits right on the water but no beach just rocks and lots of turtles, etc. short walk or drive down to Poipu Beach. Kianhuna Plantation is right at Poipu Beach but not sure of the prices- there are lots of condo's via vrbo.com. we have used them quite a few times. The hyatt is a wonderful hotel but the beach is not good for swimming b however you are close to Poipu Beach which is good.

North shore in winter is a bit iffy for the beach as water can be dangerous. aloha