Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Need help with info on Southport, NC ferry (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/need-help-with-info-on-southport-nc-ferry-1010374/)

Jill_K Apr 3rd, 2014 10:03 AM

Need help with info on Southport, NC ferry

I saw mention of this ferry in another thread and trying to see where exactly this would take us and if it would be a way to ease the drive from Charleston back north. We are driving from Charleston and planning to stop in Wilmington/Southport area. Where could we take the ferry north? Thanks for any help you can offer.

schmerl Apr 3rd, 2014 10:16 AM

http://www.southporttimes.com/ferry.html

Gretchen Apr 3rd, 2014 12:09 PM

I'm not positive, but I think they serve "destinations", not ways to continue. I at least know about Bald Head--only way to get there.

I'm pretty sure you want to get on I40 to hit I95 for the quickest way northward.

schmerl Apr 3rd, 2014 05:23 PM

You are correct Gretchen. They Southport ferries go to Bald Head Island and Fort Fisher.

thursdaysd Apr 4th, 2014 05:10 AM

If you're driving from Charleston to Wilmington, especially if you want to stop on one of the beaches (I like Wrightsville), the ferry is a good idea - I-95 would be well out of the way. I've taken the ferry in the other direction, and it was a pleasant interlude. You'd want to avoid driving through Myrtle Beach, though.

Jill_K Apr 4th, 2014 06:17 AM

Thanks for your responses. I'm having a hard time figuring out the best way to keep 2 teens happy on the long drive from Charleston back to NY. Not sure if we should stay on the coast or just head back up 95. If we head up 95, what would be a good place to stop between Charleston and Richmond?

thursdaysd Apr 4th, 2014 06:40 AM

With teens maybe you <i>should</i> go through Myrtle Beach...

I-95 is one boring drive. I did it too many times with kids back when, and unless you detour there is nothing of interest.

Gretchen Apr 4th, 2014 07:48 AM

Do NOT do I95 all the way from Charleston!! Route 17 to Wilmington.
There is a bypass of Myrtle Beach--still congested traffic, but doable.
If you want a pleasant beach with access to a lot of "stuff" Litchfield by the Sea would be a good fit. The Litchfield Inn is directly ON the beach and quite acceptable. MB is a 20 minute drive. there is a lot of putt putt up that way, etc. The best seafood on the coast is at Murrell's Inlet, 5 minutes up the road.
I can't remember what you have decided about getting TO Charleston.
Isn't Busch Gardens on the way in Virginia?

Gretchen Apr 4th, 2014 07:49 AM

Oh, one thing going for the beach at Wrightsville is that the surfing is probably the best along the coast there.

Gretchen Apr 4th, 2014 07:56 AM

I took a look at a map and have a suggestion if you do go to Wilmington and then take 40 over toward 95. Take a little jog north to Goldsboro and eat or get some takeout at one of the iconic BBQ places--Wilber's. and then you can still hit 95 quite easily.

Not sure what ferry Thursday is suggesting, but the Outer Banks are REALLY out there to do that ferry!! ;o)

thursdaysd Apr 4th, 2014 10:10 AM

I am not sure how the Outer Banks got into this discussion. The ferry in question goes from Southport to Fort Fisher, after which it is a straight shot north through Carolina Beach to Wilmington or Wrightsville.

HKP Apr 4th, 2014 10:12 AM

Another vote for a stop in Wrightsville.

Further north, would they be interested in a side trip to Williamsburg?

Jill_K Apr 6th, 2014 04:49 AM

So many great suggestions,thank you all. Think we will take 17 and avoid as much of 95 as we can without as long as we don't add to much time on to the trip.

We are driving to Durham for a wedding and then to Charleston so that's only a four hour drive. Will stop for a meal somewhere along the way.

Jill_K Apr 6th, 2014 04:53 AM

Hmmm...Litchfield looks great but isn't that far into our trip from Charleston. Is there somewhere further north (maybe 3 hours into our trip) that might be a good place to stop?

Gretchen Apr 6th, 2014 09:17 AM

We have all suggested Wilmington/Wrightsville as a good possibility.
AHa, now I get the ferry idea--but a little out of the way, but could be interesting.