Need help with Hudson River Valley itinerary

Sep 26th, 2009, 09:53 AM
Original Poster

Need help with Hudson River Valley itinerary

Greetings. We're looking forward to spending some time in the Hudson River Valley during the week of Oct. 4. We're thinking of making Buttermilk Falls Inn our home base. Any help with the following questions would be greatly appreciated:
-From what I've read, we should visit Storm King Sculpture Park, Kykuit, Valkil, and the Vanderbilt Mansion. What is the best way to group seeing the above? Other suggestions? Anything specific going on that week?
-Read that we should book our tours in advance, when possible. Will we miss a lot if the day turns out to be rainy? Should we hedge our bets and wait until we arrive?
-Is Buttermilk Falls Inn a good choice? Will we be spending too much time on the road? Other suggestions?
-We were thinking Tuesday - Thursday, but we can stay until Friday. May be a silly question, but should we stay for the extra night?
-Any input on "can't miss" or "local favorite" restaurants.
Thanks!
DelDot
Sep 26th, 2009, 11:25 AM

Storm King is lovely in the fall.
Also consider Dia in Beacon. Some cute places to eat in Beacon.
The Jack 'o Lantern "Blaze" at an Van Corlandt Manor (www.hudsonvalley.org) is fun, but get tickets soon!
Sep 26th, 2009, 12:46 PM
J62

I'm not too familiar with the west side of the river where Buttermilk Falls Inn is located. Here are a couple of restaurant ideas.

Il Cena' Colo in Newburgh is supposed to be excellent - haven't been there yet.

Artist's Palate in Poughkeepsie is <5min from the Mid Hudson bridge. I like it, but the menu is somewhat eclectic & the flavors aren't for everybody. It's not my top restaurant in the Pok. area, but the others are quite out of the way for you.

The CIA is in on the way from your inn to Vanderbilt, so that's a lunch or dinner option as well. I like the Caterina D'Medici Italian restaurant.

As for grouping, Valkill and Vanderbilt are quite close to each other. Kykuit is further south. Storm King is in between, but on the West side of the river. It would be on your way from Kykuit to Buttermilk Falls Inn.
Sep 26th, 2009, 12:53 PM

We've never been disappointed at Il Cena' Colo. Ask for Cricket, a very friendly and knowledgeable, if unusually named, waitress.
Sep 27th, 2009, 11:43 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone. J62, I'm sorry to hear you're not familiar with the west side of the river. I appreciated the info you have given in previous posts.

We're going back to reread the previous topics (again!) to see if we should rework our trip. For now, it looks like we won't be spending too much time in the room - maybe we'll just stay at a chain. We have read so many nice things about Rhinebeck, I feel compelled to stay there. And now my DH wants to see a winery too, so Buttermilk Falls seems out of the way.

Sorry the Blaze isn't offered during the week. It looked like a lot of fun.
Sep 27th, 2009, 07:11 PM

Take a walk across the Hudson River on the new Walkway Over the Hudson; it is opening to the public on October 3. It's the longest pedestrian bridge in the world - 1.25 miles and 212 feet in the air. The views are wonderful. It connects Highland to the west and Poughkeepsie to the east, just north of the regular auto bridge (and you can walk across that also, in a 3 mile loop). It's the highlight of the Quadricentennial celebration of Henry Hudson's journey. If you walk across the auto bridge, stop at either pier and listen to Bridge Music - made by the composer "playing" the bridge! The music is also broadcast on a radio station you can get when sitting in the park at the end of the road on the Highland side of the Walkway (Haviland Road).

Stay in Dutchess- in or near the great town of Rhinebeck (lots of shops and restaurants and you'll have just missed the film festival offerings at the arty Upstate Films theater, but they always have interesting stuff). You can take excursions from there to Storm King (an hour from Rhinebeck - worth a visit) and further south to Kykuit (1.5 hours from Rhinebeck - landscape tour also has sculpture, but leave extra time because you are shuttled to the estate from parking and can only visit via tour - book this one in advance but you can probably take your chances on the others).

Dutchess has a strip of Route 9 that has the Vanderbilt Mansion, Locust Grove (Samuel Morse home), Roosevelt home and Mrs. Roosevelt's ValKill (connected with a new trail). Just off Route 9 in Rhinecliff is Wilderstein, a turreted mansion - two day's worth right there. North of Rhinebeck are Montgomery Place, Bard College (interesting sculpture and architecture), and the city of Hudson (lots of antiquing, Olana historic site nearby)- those three can easily fill a day. Inland about 20 minutes is Millbrook, where you can walk the wonderful grounds of Innisfree, tour the Millbrook Winery, and get great lunches at Babette's Kitchen.

Research more at Dutchesstourism.com and click on "visitor's center/brochures" to download more information; they also have a centralized accommodations finder with availability and rates

Enjoy! The leaves are beginning to turn here - don't forget the camera!
Sep 30th, 2009, 08:45 AM
Original Poster

Wonderful info NaomiZ - thanks! The tentative final plan is as follows:

Arriving early Tuesday, touring the Roosevelt and Vanderbilt sites. Wed. we'll check out Storm King. Thursday we have reserved the afternoon Grand Tour of Kykuit. Friday back to Delaware. Of course we'll have to check out the Walkway at some point too. Sounds really neat.

Since we like to putter around we didn't want to jam pack our schedule. We also wanted some flexibility in case of rain. Plus, we are thinking of this as more of a reconnaissance mission. We had no idea there was so much to do. If the drive up goes well, the Hudson Valley could be our long weekend getaway destination for many years to come.

Thanks again for the great info.
Sep 30th, 2009, 09:29 AM

My compliments NaomiZ for providing some excellent information and advice. And DelDot, my compliments for exercising good judgment in setting up your fine itinerary.
It's too bad that the fall foliage won't be further along towards its peak.
Sep 30th, 2009, 10:49 AM

Just returned from a similar trip. The FDR site can easily take a whole day. It is beautiful and interesting. And don't miss the CIA. We ate at the Italian place and also at American Bounty. Both were outstanding but you need reservations. Edo Sushi in Hyde Park was good too.
Oct 1st, 2009, 05:25 PM
Original Poster

What is the dress code for the nicer restaurants? Do we need to pack "dressy" outfits? Can we wear nice jeans? We'll be dining mid-week - do you think we can get away with being more casually dressed?
Oct 1st, 2009, 05:38 PM
J62

At CIA Caterina D' Medici neat casual is fine. I've never worried about a dress code there. Nice jeans would be ok. You'll see some people more dressed up, but it's definitely not a jacket/tie type place.
Oct 1st, 2009, 05:38 PM

If you are going to the CIA restaurants, the website has suggested dress. Nice casual basically.
Oct 1st, 2009, 05:53 PM
J62

I just looked online and find there are no reservations available 10/2 to 10/9 at Caterina D' Medici or American Bounty. The only thing is see is next Tue or Wed at St. Andrew's cafe. Call them or book online asap if you want a table. www.ciachef.edu/restaurants/default.asp

I have been able to get same day reservations on the phone on occasion, but I would not count on it as it's getting to be peak leaf peeping season.