need help with bozeman, mt. and cody, wy. part of travel itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7th, 2005, 11:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anyone help this frustrated trip planner? Here is my self-imposed dilemma. I have been charged with planning an 8 day motorcycle trip later this month for three couples starting in Salt Lake City and returning there as well. The present routing takes us up to Jackson, Wy. for a couple nights then into Yellowstone with a tentative overnight in Gardiner, Mt. I then have us riding some in Montana before overnighting in Bozeman...but not sure if Bozeman is worth an overnight stay?? Then on to Cody for two nights...with the second day making a loop east to the Bighorn area and back. is that ride worth taking? Lastly, if anyone has any suggestions on where to stay in any of these venues, i would greatly appreciate the input! thanks to all who reply. G.
Old Aug 7th, 2005, 01:43 PM

We are motorcycle riders and have spent lots of time in the area.

The most scenic ride from Yellowstone north is from West Yellowstone to Bozeman through the Gallatin Canyon.

We enjoy downtown Bozeman. It's a lot more worthy of your time than Gardiner--it' s okay but not worth a stay, IMO.

Where in Montana are you riding?

To head towards Cody, I highly suggest going from Livingston through Gardiner and then out the northeast entrance of Yellowstone. Going south you will have a fabulous mountain view.

Then go as far as you can get on the Beartooth Highway. They had mudslides in May that tore out some of the road so you can't go all the way to Red Lodge but it's well worth going over and back and then coming down the Chief Joseph Hwy and into Cody. It'll be the highlight of your trip.

Old Aug 7th, 2005, 02:07 PM

How are you getting from Cody to SLC? If you are going back through the park, there is road construction inside the east entrance so plan on a slow down.

You probably already know this but just in case .....motorcycles have to stop more often for gas and rest; riding in a group means more stops; riding in mountain areas is much slower; and, riding through the park is slow. Give yourselves plenty of time.
Old Aug 7th, 2005, 02:53 PM

Definately do the Route 14/14A loop through the Big Horn area. It will be one of the highlights of your trip.
Old Aug 7th, 2005, 04:37 PM
Original Poster

Connie, have you been reading my notes? You pretty much pegged my routing...and confirmed what i thought about staying in Bozeman vs. Gardiner. As for riding in Montana, we won't have much time other than to head up to Bozeman from W. Yellowstone and then head the next day down your route thru Gardiner over Chief Joseph to Cody. Any suggestions on where to stay in town in Bozeman?
Thanks to Ron for the comment of the Bighorn loop. I will book an extra night in Cody.
Old Aug 7th, 2005, 06:17 PM

Definitely agree with Connie -- it's a nice ride from West Yellowstone to Bozeman, and we enjoy downtown Bozeman, too. A good place to stay is the Best Western City Center; it is at the west end of downtown, so you can walk. A couple good places for breakfast or lunch are O'Brien's and Main Street Overeasy. Have fun!
Old Aug 7th, 2005, 06:37 PM

The Pickle Barrell has great deli sandwiches.

South of downtown a few blocks is a university (can't remember the name). It has a good museum--Museum of the Rockies.
Old Aug 7th, 2005, 07:03 PM
Original Poster

thanks for all the input. any thoughts or comments for me re. staying one night in Red Lodge and one night in Cody v. two nights in Cody...before making the Big Horn loop?
Old Aug 8th, 2005, 10:40 AM
Original Poster

any suggestions on one day loops out of Bozeman...either to the north or the west?
Old Aug 8th, 2005, 01:44 PM

The university close to the Pickle Barrel is Montana State University. The Pickle Barrel has great sandwiches.

Staying downtown is a good idea. There are several great restuarants all within walking distance of the Best Western.
Old Aug 8th, 2005, 02:55 PM
Original Poster

Does Bozeman have a central area to walk around in at night...to have a beer, dinner, interesting shops/galleries, etc?
Old Aug 8th, 2005, 03:19 PM

Downtown (or Main Street) is the central area for walking around. There are several galleries, restuarants, bars, shops, bookstores, etc. It's a great area.
Old Aug 8th, 2005, 03:54 PM
Original Poster

excellent. i will book a room at the BW downtown.
Old Aug 8th, 2005, 06:47 PM

There's a Pickle Barrel by the university AND downtown.

I think going to Red Lodge might be a waste of time since you can't go all the way through on the beartooth. Someone else might have a different opinion, though.

The lower end of Montana isn't incredibly scenic but it would be worth doing some riding. It depends on how far/long you want to ride. You could either go all the way to Butte, up to Helena, down hwy 12 and either split off on 287 back to I-90 or on over Hwy 12 to Hwy 89 and down to I-90.

If you don't want to ride that far, just make a smaller loop with 287, 12, 89

Some of A River Runs Through It was filmed in this area--driving down the railroad tracks, the tunnel and the tressel bridge scene was filmed on some land owned by some friends of ours.
Old Aug 8th, 2005, 07:19 PM
Original Poster

Connie, you've got me thinking about heading out of gardiner on 89 north to 12 then west over to 287 then south to 90 then overnight in Bozeman. Since most of our trip will keep us in the Tetons and Yellowstone, I did want to make one good day riding on what i hope will be uncongested wide open roadway.
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 09:02 AM

Yes, I think you will enjoy riding some Montana back roads.

You are going to miss a really nice ride from W. Yellowstone to Bozeman on 191 and the drive north on 89 isn't as scenic as it is going south.

Why not go up 191, west on I-90, north on 287, east on 12, south on 89 all the way to Gardiner, then out the NE enrance?

If you're wanting to go through Gardiner to see the part of Yellowstone from Norris to Mammoth, you aren't missing a whole lot. You will get to see the Mammoth area as you come back through Gardiner over to the NE entrance.

What areas of Yellowstone are you planning to get to? The don't miss areas are the Old Faithful area and the Canyon area (especially Artist's Point overlooking the Lower Falls of the Yellowstone River). You'll have to do some back tracking but it will be worth it.
Old Aug 10th, 2005, 05:42 AM
Original Poster

Connie, i like your suggestion but not sure i can reverse the route. i was able to include the ride from bozeman to w. yellowstone south on 191. Is virginia city worth a detour or is that too touristy?
My plan re. yellowstone is to ride around the lake, see the canyon area, old faithful, and sit in the springs in the river near mammoth when we overnight in gardiner. i also am looking forward to the ride between cooke city and gardiner. i am also hoping the road between canyon and tower is open by the end of the month.
you have put your stamp on my trip! thanks!