Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Disney grand californian or Hilton Anaheim?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17th, 2012, 07:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, we need to decide where we will go in two weeks. Does the Grand Californian deserves to pay more than the Hilton? I know it is mutch closer of course, but appart from this, is it a mutch better hotel than the Hilton.
Please Help!!!
Old Jan 17th, 2012, 07:21 PM

I guess it just depends on what you want. I always think it's better to stay "on property". It matters far less at DL than DW as things aren't nearly as spread out. I have forgotten though- I can't remember how far away the Hilton was. You walk out the door of the GC and you are there. Plus, it is nice, you can see fireworks from your room very well, etc.
Old Jan 17th, 2012, 07:49 PM
Original Poster

The Hilton is just near the Convention Center. Do you think I can walk from the hotel to the main gate?
Old Jan 17th, 2012, 09:27 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I have stayed in both - the Hilton for work and the GC twice on my own dime. There is no comparison. The Grand Californian is a true destination. Magnificent public rooms, very nice rooms, exquisite linens, its own entrance into Calif Adventure and another entrance on to Downtown Disney.

The Hilton is not really walking distance. From the hotel around to the entrance to the Parks is nearly a mile. A mile isn't that far but after a looooong day at DL it would be a nasty walk. There are buses . . . But if you can afford it, the Grand Californian is by far the best option.
Old Jan 17th, 2012, 09:32 PM

The Hilton is a Convention Hotel and The Grand Californian is an experience. I have stayed at both and there is no comparison. If you do stay at the Grand Californian have dinner at Napa Rose. It is wonderful.
Old Jan 17th, 2012, 10:00 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Oh yes - definitely book at Napa Rose (reservations necessary)
Old Jan 18th, 2012, 04:37 AM

I echo the thoughts here. I loved the Grand California so much I stayed there for my 40th birthday. I have also stayed at both - if you can swing the GC 100% stay there.

With all the construction at California Adventure is the back entrance still open from GC?