Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page > Need help w/ my itinerary for Sonoma/Napa California

Need help w/ my itinerary for Sonoma/Napa California

Dec 7th, 2006, 03:02 PM
Original Poster

Need help w/ my itinerary for Sonoma/Napa California

I am going to Wine Country in April with my husband. Spending 3 days in Sonoma - Healdsburg - staying at the Honor Mansion. Then spending 3 days in Napa - St. Helena - Adagio Inn. I am now questioning the 3 night stay in Napa because it seems to be a much crowded area. Should I change this to 3 more days in Sonoma staying in a different town or should I keep my reservation at the Adagio? I stayed in downtown Sonoma last month for a "girl's weekend" and had a great time. I was just checking out the "Stay Sonoma" website and they have some great cottages in the hills of Sonoma. Your comments and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Dec 8th, 2006, 07:09 AM

I prefer Sonoma over Napa. You will love Healdsburg! However, if you've never visited Napa, it's worth experiencing. I suggest that you look for smaller wineries...stay off the main drag there and go to places off the Silverado trail. There's a lot to see in do in Napa. We've been in April 3 times- it's usually not crowded then.Have you considered perhaps spending a few days up the coast, say in Mendocino? There are great wineries in the Anderson Valley and if you love nature, scenery, etc it makes for a nice, varied vacation.
Dec 8th, 2006, 08:41 AM

Six days in the wine country seems like a lot of time. Are there any other areas in the region that you have not explored - Pt Reyes National Seashore, Mendicino Coast, Sonoma coast, Marin Coast, San Francisco, etc.

I also prefer Sonoma over Napa because Sonoma looks & feels like it caters to the tourist less than Napa. I also think there are more "nooks & crannies" in Sonoma than in Napa. I don't think crowds will be a problem in April, especially if you visit Napa on a week day.

I'm not a real fan of the area around the city of Sonoma - a little too trashy for my taastes. I much prefer Healdsburg.

I'm a Bay Area resident & have explored the area for the last 30 years.

Stu Dudley
Dec 8th, 2006, 10:52 AM

I think Sonoma county is more interesting than Napa. Besides wine tasting you could visit Armstrong Woods in Guerneville..beautiful red wood trees, and less visited than Muir Woods. There is also the "perfect" spa in Freestone, called Osmosis. The coast is wild with Bodega Bay on one side and up to Ft. Ross on the other. Lots to see and do. I'd also check out www.HealdsburgRentals.com and see what other accommodations might be available in the area.

Search this Thread