Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Need help planning trip to Finger Lakes, Niagara Falls and Canada

Aug 7th, 2010, 08:07 AM
Original Poster

We are planning a trip in early fall driving up to the Finger Lakes region, Niagara Falls, then on to Montreal and Quebec City. We have about 10 days and aren't sure how to divide our time. We have some tentative reservations which can be changed. Right now the plan is 2 nights in a B&B not too far from the Corning Glass Museum and Watkins Glen. We want to have time to see Watkins Glen, Corning and tour some wineries in the area. From there we are planning on heading to Niagara Falls and have booked the Embassy Suites for one night (not sure if we need longer). We were told to also go to Niagara on the Lake. Then we were planning on spending 3 nights in Montreal, 3 nights in Quebec City, then head back home. We would love some suggestions on how long to stay at each location or anything else we might have time to add to this trip, and any details on places to stay, things to do, etc.
Aug 7th, 2010, 09:59 AM

Well Niagara Falls is actually pst Toronto - but perhaps you have been there already. You don;t say where you're starting from - but that seems like quite a bit of driving for 10 days.

I think one night at the Falls is enough - you should be able to see some things the day you arrive and some the next morning but I'm not sure how long it would take you to get to Montreal the next day. Even if you get up early , rush a couple of things and head out by noon you won;t be getting into Montreal until time for a latish dinner. (Have you looked at yahoo maps for driving times? It seems to be about 7 hours - but I've never done it so can;t verify.)
Aug 7th, 2010, 11:37 AM
Original Poster

No we have not been to Niagara Falls before. We are starting from the Philadelphia area, had planned 2 nights in the Finger Lakes but are thinking of adding a third night, then heading to the falls. We have one night there now but are thinking we might want to add a 2nd since we were told to go to Niagara on the Lake and aren't sure we could do everything in one night/a day and a half.

We are used to long drives so that doesn't bother us. Yes, you are correct, it will take us about 7 hours or so to get to Montreal from the falls and our plan was to arrive in time for dinner, then spend 2 nights there before heading to Quebec City. Have you been to any of the places we plan on visiting? Any suggestions?
Aug 7th, 2010, 02:37 PM

The Niagara Wine region near Niagara on the Lake is much better than the Finger Lakes wine region... I would plan less time in Corning/Watkins Glen and add a night in Niagara...

My Itinerary would be... Philly to B&B... see Corning in PM and have dinner (possibly with Lake cruise)

next AM... Watkins Glen State Park...park at bottom and take bus to top of trail and walk back to car... stop at two or three wineries along Lakes and grab a lunch while heading toward Niagara... check in at Embassy and wander Falls... grab a dinner in any number of places...

Next AM... free breakfast at the Hotel and walk across Rainbow Bridge to US for great view and head to Goat Island State Park to watch water go over and take the Cave of the Winds tour... on the way back jump on Maid of the Mist on US side(less busy)... and then walk back to Canada ... dry off at the hotel and catch the Niagara Parkway drive to Niagara on the Lake for lunch at a winery... there are over 100 wineries in the region, many close together... then plan on a stroll through the village before a late dinner...and sleepy

Next AM.. free breakfast at the hotel and head for Montreal... time it to avoid leaving before9am so you can miss Toronto rush hour...

I'll hand over the next portion to our Montreal/Quebec city experts... have a good time!
Aug 8th, 2010, 05:51 AM

Well Montreal is a very pretty city and Quebec is quaint but I prefer Toronto to both - so I wouldn't just drive straight through it - but try to spend at least one day there.
Aug 8th, 2010, 11:35 AM

we stayed in niagra on the lake several days and enjoyed the area, shaw plays and bike riding on paved paths. good restaurants, fruit sold on roadside stands.
Aug 8th, 2010, 07:36 PM

In Montreal, we always stay at the Bonaparte Hotel. They have a great breakfast included and it is right in the center of the old city. Don't miss the Botanical Gardens, they are beautiful.

Personally, I think Niagara on the Lake is very crowded and touristy, but many do like it. You could take in some theater there on one of your evenings. I like Stratford better for theater at the Stratford Festival. It might be a little out of your way though.

http://www.bonaparte.com/en/auberge/
Aug 10th, 2010, 07:40 AM

Hi, Bandjde. I represent the folks at FingerLakes.org. We ar the #1 source for helping people plan their vacations to our beautiful region, and everything we do for travelers is free! Please check out our website or call us at 800-530-7488. We can provide free maps, travel guides, itinerary support and more, so you can make the most out of your time here!
Aug 29th, 2010, 05:49 PM
Original Poster

thanks everyone for your suggestions. i have posted in a couple different forums and we are slowly building our itinerary, using many of your ideas.

maggi - i don't think i saw your hotel suggestion earlier but ironically, we did book at the auberge bonaparte. so glad to hear your positive comments! we are planning 3 mights in montreal, hope that will be enough to get a good taste of the area.
Aug 29th, 2010, 08:13 PM

Great! I know you will love the hotel and the area in which it is located. I walked in a different direction each morning. Hope you will keep us posted with a trip report when you return. Perhaps you can reply to this thread first to give all of us a heads up that you have posted a separate trip report.
Aug 30th, 2010, 10:41 AM
Original Poster

maggi - will do! thanks again for the information. and since you have been to montreal - have you also been to quebec city? we are between 2 places to stay - one a small hotel, like a b&b, the other a small b&b, both in same location. some mixed reviews on the b&b, but quite a big difference in rate. wasn't sure if it was worth the splurge to go with the first with all good reviews.
Aug 30th, 2010, 01:37 PM

Without knowing which hotel/b&b you are referring to, it's hard for me to make a comment. I prefer small boutique hotels to private b&b's. Like Montreal, it's preferable in Quebec to stay in the old town area, especially if it's going to be a shorter stay. We stayed near the Hotel Frontenac and it was charming strolling around the area in the evenings. There was a great little restaurant around there too. I'll have to check my notes on that.