Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Need help planning Blue Ridge Summer Getaway (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/need-help-planning-blue-ridge-summer-getaway-875091/)

asdaven Jan 25th, 2011 06:53 AM

Need help planning Blue Ridge Summer Getaway

Hi- Im trying to plan a vacation to the NC mountains this coming July. I plan on allowing 7-10 days for the trip. Boone and Blowing Rock seem like nice towns and would like to focus most of my time in that area. I haven't really been to that part of the NC mountains. I ve been to Smoky Mountain National Park twice now and stayed in Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge, Tennessee both those times. I did take a day trip to Asheville to see the Biltmore Estate and briefly drove the road through the park over to Cherokee. But, other than that i ve never really been to the NC side of the mountains. So, on this trip I want to see the places I haven't seen rather than just vacationing in Gatlinburg again. I haven't seen places such as Mount Mitchael, Grandfather Mountain, driving the Blue Ridge Parkway and the sights along it, Chimney Rock, or the Cataloochee section of Smoky Mountain NP. I would like to see all this places along with possibly seeing Mount Rogers/Greysons Highlands on the way in from Virginia. Blowing Rock seems like a good resort town with things to do, places to eat, and places to stay. So, id like to spend most of my time there. But, places further south like Chimney Rock, Cataloochee, and Mt Mitchael may warrant an additional stay in Asheville. Btw, our interests are mainly outdoor activities.

Thanks for any help-

Brian_in_Charlotte Jan 25th, 2011 07:25 AM

I would split the time between the Blowing Rock area and Asheville. They are far enough away from each other (drive time wise) that I wouldn't want to do day trips between the 2. From Asheville, Chimney Rock/Lake Lure is an easy day trip.

Asheville warrants a couple/few days.

cmcfong Jan 25th, 2011 08:58 AM

I am going to top a thread on a similar inquiry for you. You may find some of the ideas and suggestions helpful.

asdaven Jan 28th, 2011 04:50 AM

How about this itenerary?:

Day 1:

Drive from Washington DC to Marion, VA. Visit Grayson Highland State Park. Spend the Night in Marion or Abingdon, VA.

Day 2-4:

Drive to Asheville, NC and spend 3 nights there seeing Chimney Rock, Mount Mitchell and the Blue Ridge Parkway

Day 5-8:

Drive to Blowing Rock, NC and spend 4 nights there seeing Grandfather Mountain, Blowing Rock, Linville Falls, and various sights and outdoor activities.

Day 9:

Drive Blue Ridge Parkway north to Roanoke, VA seeing the sights and going to Stone Mountain State Park.

Day 10:

Drive back to Washington DC from Roanoke VA and stop at the Natural Bridge.

Ackislander Jan 28th, 2011 11:50 AM

Wow, asdaven's suggestions are so good that I am going to download them and make that trip myself!

SAnParis2 Jan 28th, 2011 11:56 AM

That is a good itin. & Stone Mt. is a well kept secret (or it was) in NC.

willowjane Jan 28th, 2011 02:37 PM

While in Abingdon you could see a show at the great Barter Theater!