Need help planning a trip to Yosemite and Wine Country, California

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23rd, 2014, 03:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi. My wife and I plan on visiting Yosemite National Park and Wine Country this summer. We love easy hikes, wildlife, beautiful views, nice hotels (within reason), and nice restaurants (also within reason). Would appreciate help in planning our trip from where to stay, how many nights at each, and where to go. Planning on 7 nights in mid July. Plan on renting a car. Last year we did Yellowstone and had a great time following the great advice from Trip Advisor followers. We were able to fit in 4 nights in Yellowstone and 3 nights in Jackson Hole. Had plenty of time to enjoy Yellowstone, Grand Teton, and Jackson Hole. Again, I wouldn't of been able to do it without your help. The drives were scenic, the hotels were outstanding, the views were amazing, the wildlife was amazning...everything about it was amazing. I'm hoping for the same in Yosemite. I am thinking of staying right in the park for 3-4 nights and then heading to Wine Country for 3-4 depending on what you may suggest. We have been to California before for a 2 week coastal trip. Started in San Diego and ended up in San Fran. It was a great trip. Loved Monterey and San Fran. Wouldn't mind stopping at Monterey or San Fran if you suggest. Never had the time to stop in Wine Country because the kids wouldn't have appreciated that. However, now we can so your thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Warren.
Old Jan 23rd, 2014, 03:45 PM

At this late date you might want to see IF you can get reservations for July at the Yosemite Lodge at the Falls or the Ahwahnee Hotel. Both are in Yosemite Valley which is where I'd want to stay if it were me. We've stayed at the Yosemite Lodge several times in the winter and have liked the rooms. The Ahwahnee is two expensive for us so we've never stayed there but we've been there to enjoy their fireplaces in the winter. Both have shuttle bus stops so it makes it easy to explore the valley. You can also do day trips to the other part of the parks. If you can get a room in the valley, then you can work your trip around those dates. Three or four nights would give you time to explore the park. We also like the Mountain Room Restaurant which is right next to the Yosemite Lodge at the Falls for a nice meal.

Utahtea
Old Jan 24th, 2014, 02:27 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply. I was fortunate enough to book the Ahwahnee. Not that I could afford it but decided let's do it! Any recommendations of places to stay in Napa? I heard that the Meritage Resort is very nice. I booked it just to be safe. W
Old Jan 24th, 2014, 03:48 PM

You'll love the Ahwahnee, though, I, too, have only dined there.

I was wondering if you also intend to visit Sonoma Wine Country. Napa and Sonoma are adjacent. If so, you should know the wineries of Sonoma are a bit spread out, though it is easy to just concentrate on one area of Sonoma, say the wineries around Sonoma town, Glen Ellen, Kenwood and/or Carneros. You could easily visit Sonoma town or these other nearby wine areas if you are based in Napa.
Here's a link to a map of Sonoma wine country:
http://sonoma.com/visitorsinfo/Sonom...Winery_Map.pdf

The wine areas around Healdsburg are nice, too, but it might be too far if you are based in Napa.

There's also an area of wineries not too far from Yosemite, in Amador County/Sierra Foothills. I wouldn't say you need to spend a lot of time there, but if you are passing through on your way to or from Yosemite, you have the option of visiting one of two wineries here. It's been a long while since I've been there, though, so I can't offer many details. I did find the article below online. I am familiar with the author, he used to cover wine for the Sonoma Press Democrat:
http://www.winespectator.com/wct/region/id/40349
Old Jan 24th, 2014, 04:10 PM

I wonder how the current drought will affect the look of the wine country. Tasting should be okay, as you will be tasting previous years vintages.
Old Jan 24th, 2014, 07:02 PM

The hills turn brown every summer so the drought shouldn't really affect the look unless the vineyards can't irrigate the grapevines. Hopefully we will get some rain before spring.

Utahtea
Old Feb 27th, 2014, 07:30 PM

Hi WarrenWST,

My wife and I spent 3 days in Yosemite last May. We accessed the park via the west entrance and stayed in a lovely B&B called the Blackberry Inn. It's a little pricey but well worth it in our opinion. After long days of hiking it was so nice to come back to a nice tub and a soft bed.

Here's a couple of highlights that we really enjoyed and have easy to moderate trail recommendations:

Yosemite Valley - An obvious one. We were strategic about the trails we took so we could hike the perimeter of the valley in one day. If you're looking for an easy to moderate trail, I would recommend going up the Mist Trail. Pretty easy trail to walk besides when you get closer to the bottom of Vernal Falls.

Hetch Hetchy - Located on the west side. Great place to avoid crowds and see some beautiful waterfalls. The trail is pretty easy to navigate as well.

Mono Lake - Located just outside the eastern side of the park. You'll be amazed by the beautiful tufa (limestone) formations located around the lake.

We recently started to put our photos and share our stories on a blog. All of our Yosemite travels details can be found here: http://triptwitch.com/tag/yosemite-national-park/

NickB
triptwich.com
Old Feb 27th, 2014, 09:13 PM

You choose Napa over Sonoma because? If you were interested in Sonoma, there are some awesome wineries there. Also the Fairmont Sonoma Mission Inn is wonderfull as is the Lodge in Sonoma which has both hotel type rooms in the main building and duplex cottages that are delightful with fireplaces, sitting area, soaking tub. NIce pools at both places and Really great spas at both places too. We prefer Sonoma over Napa...less crowded.
Old Feb 28th, 2014, 04:54 AM

Here's a list of hikes at Yosemite. Have fun making choices:
http://www.yosemitehikes.com/

A couple of my favorites are the hike to Taft Point and the one that goes around the back of Pothole Dome.

At that time of year I highly recommend driving along Tioga Road. That area is not remotely as crowded as the valley and it's absolutely gorgeous.

Mono Lake is very nice, as is Bodie, but they are out of the way if you're going towards Napa.

Monterey is very nice but it isn't near either Yosemite or Napa. Don't think you have time for it if you're going to those two places
Old Feb 28th, 2014, 02:19 PM

Echoing what @Shanti said. http://www.yosemitehikes.com/ is a great resource. We used it quite a bit when we were selecting hikes to take in Yosemite.
Old Jul 6th, 2014, 07:39 AM
Original Poster

Hi. I just realized that I never replied with a great big thank you for all of your help. So, A GREAT BIG THANK YOU! Your information is very helpful. Thanks again!
Old Aug 6th, 2014, 04:02 PM
Original Poster

Hi. Just wanted to say thanks again. We had an amazing trip. Flew into San Fran. Drove over the Golden Gate. It was a perfect day. Drove to Napa through Sonoma. Stayed at the Meritage Resort. It was wonderful. Went to Robert Mondavi winery..would highly recommend it. It was great. Also went to the Sterling winery which was very nice but nothing compared to Mondavi's. Had dinner both nights near the Riverfront. Went to Yosemite for 4 nights. Stayed at the Awahnee. Also amazing. Best part of my trip was the hikes, seeing beer, and the sites. Drove to San Fran over the Bay Bridge and stayed at the Hyatt in the Embarcedo section. A beautiful hotel with a balcony with a great view of the ocean. Walked around, ate at Pier 39. Again, it was a perfect vacation. Sorry it is over. Your help was extremely appreciated! W
Old Aug 6th, 2014, 05:16 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Thanks for checking back - some of my very favorite places.

>>seeing beerdeer - or - bear . . . or was it beer?

I love staying at the Hyatt - across from the ferry bldg an w/i walking distance of some amazing restaurants. (It is the Bay you see BTW - not the ocean)

Meritage AND the Ahwahnee - you stayed in some REALLY lovely places.
Old Aug 6th, 2014, 06:54 PM

WarrenWST,

Thanks for reporting back.

janisj, It's not that uncommon to see black bears in Yosemite even during the day!

Utahtea
Old Aug 6th, 2014, 07:02 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
utahtea -- yes I know.

I guess you missed the typo . . .