Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   need help planning a trip to Grand Hotel/Mackinac Island, MI (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/need-help-planning-a-trip-to-grand-hotel-mackinac-island-mi-1038751/)

osakaorchid Feb 26th, 2015 06:11 AM

need help planning a trip to Grand Hotel/Mackinac Island, MI

I soliciting advice and suggestions for a trip to Mackinac Island as I have never been there before. I am flexible with travel dates as long as the weather is warm and pleasant. Price is the major factor, so trying to find out what would be the best way for me to go. I live over 1,500 miles away from Mackinac Island, and from what I understand, automobiles are not permitted on the island and it is only accessible from ferry service from either St. Ignace or Mackinaw City. From what I can tell, Mackinac Island has its own small airport, but I have a phobia of flying in small Cessna type aircraft, and only like to fly in large commercial airliners, (smallest I will go would be a RJ-type aircraft/something that seats over 50 passengers, etc). I realize there are several options for me to get from point A to B....the option I would mostly likely opt for would be to fly into the nearest airport that services large commercial airliners, which I am assuming would be Detroit. Where I am getting hung up at in planning the rest of the trip is trying to figure out a cost-effective way to travel from the airport in Detroit up to Mackinaw City to catch the ferry to Mackinac Island. I could get a rental car, but the thought of paying for a rental car for 5 days (or so) that is just sitting parked in a parking lot in Mackinaw City irks me. I could take a taxi, but I feel that would be exuberantly expensive considering the distance. My biggest issue that I am trying to tackle is trying to figure out the best, most cost effective way to get from Detroit to Mackinaw City. ...and from everything I have pondered, it seems like the rental car may be the cheapest option, albeit still expensive, if I add on damage insurance. Other than the commute from the airport to the island, what are some suggestions that you can provide while visiting the island itself?

Iahawk Feb 26th, 2015 07:49 AM

Look at flying into traverse city. There might be shuttles from there. On island, we like Mission Point or Stone Cliff. A visit to the grand hotel is a must as is cycling around the island with stops to hike. A weekend at most will cover it

laurie_ann Feb 26th, 2015 08:24 AM

Also consider flying to Lansing or Flint. And don't overlook alternative airlines like SunCountry which flies to Lansing from Minneapolis and from Washington DC.

cd Feb 26th, 2015 09:08 AM

If you can fly into Traverse City, I think you would enjoy renting a car and driving #31 north past Charlevoix and Petoskey to the ferry. It is a beautiful drive and if you have the time, you could make it part of your trip. As Lahawk said a weekend on the island is enough time.

Citylghts Feb 26th, 2015 09:31 AM

Delta operates regional jets from DTW to Pellston Airport, about 15 miles south of Mackinaw City. There are several shuttle services between the airport and ferry docks. Check www.pellstonairport.com for details.

volcanogirl Feb 26th, 2015 10:00 AM

We've been a couple of times and have flown from Detroit to Pelston and then taken the ferry over. We love it there. JoAnn's has really good fudge, and we had fun touring the fort. Their outdoor tea room serves some killer milk shakes. Also had fun touring The Grand; you can go up to the Cupola Bar to get a drink and enjoy the view. Had some good burgers at Chuck Wagon. We also like eating outside by the water at the Pink Pony. You can do a horse drawn carriage tour of the island. Arch Rock is pretty cool too. The Lilac Tree is a nice place to stay. The weather has been beautiful in the summer when we've gone.

volcanogirl Feb 26th, 2015 12:40 PM

If you do end up going through Pellston, we stopped at a cute place called the Pellston Market - not sure if it's still there, but they had great gourmet sandwiches, wine, cheese, etc.

Keith Feb 27th, 2015 10:46 AM

While the Pellston airport is very nice, service is skimpy, prices are high, and service is often interupted. Traverse City (80 miles farther away) is in better shape for all these things.

For the best combination of timing, price and distance, Saginaw (MBS), Flint (FNT) or Grand Rapids are usually the best options. All things being equal, that is the order I would pick between them.

If you fly anywhere but Pellston, a rental car will be your best bet.

For relatively inexpensive rooms on the island, check out the many B&B (they all have good revies) or the Pontiac Lodge.

exiledprincess Feb 27th, 2015 03:15 PM

I have to ask...

You are planning on staying 5 nights at the Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island - and worried about the cost of a rental car?

Have you researched the lodging rates there?