Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Need help planning a day on the so. side of Kauai

Old Nov 8th, 2003, 05:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are staying on the Northshore of Kauai next September and will be going to the south side for a helicopter trip with Inter-island out of Hanapepe. Give me your ideas of a daytrip - Where to stop for meals or treats, what to see and in which order.

Thanks - Nancy
Old Nov 8th, 2003, 05:13 PM

Good choice using Inter-Island! We did the waterfall lunch when we went and it was fantastic.
Waimea Canyon is a nice trip while over on that side of the island.
Glass Beach is also an interesting stop. The whole beach is small pieces of glass that have washed up on shore from a nearby dump. (Sad- but worth a stop)
There is Jo-Jos Shave Ice in Waimea...one of my favs in Hawaii.
Spouting Horn near Po'ipu is a good stop too.
I would pick up a copy of Ultimate Kauai guide book to help you plan.
Aloha!
Old Nov 8th, 2003, 05:45 PM

Stop by the Lawai Trading Post at the junction of Rtes 530 and 50. Lots of fun stuff to buy for souveniers (also good prices on jewelry) and a great display of the Nehei (sic?) leis that come from the nearby island prohibited to visitors. You'll also pass the Kauai coffe plantation where you can get a free cup and purchase some to take home. Btw, the interisland flight was the highlight of our trip - I wish I had taken a video camera along - it's almost worth buying a new one to have the video of your trip - our still camera photos were great, but a video would have been fantastic!
Old Nov 9th, 2003, 05:45 AM

If you like gardens, I loved the Allerton Gardens. Check their website here

http://www.ntbg.org/allerton.html
Old Nov 10th, 2003, 08:50 PM

If you will be in Hanapepe, you are right near Salt Pond Beach Park, a really nice swimming and sunning beach mostly frequented by the locals but some tourists find their way there. I like this beach because it is laid back and has facilities. Nice sandy beach. Stop for a picnic lunch and a swim. I also think you might consider a tour of the National Tropical Botanical Gardens as you head back, office located across the street from the Spouting Horn in Poipu area. Tour is about 3 hours and reservations are required, but you will enjoy it if you love tropical foliage. A very unique activity. Another lunch suggestion if you are near Poipu Beach is Brennecke's. Their burgers are very good and you sit upstairs in a open sided room with a great view of Poipu Beach park. Nice cocktails too. Have a great time.