Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Need help picking a package to Kauai! (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/need-help-picking-a-package-to-kauai-603483/)

mphiebig Mar 29th, 2006 10:45 AM

Need help picking a package to Kauai!

Hi!

I have a few package options that were given to me to go to Kauai in October and was curious if anyone has any oppinions about these hotels and resorts since I've never been. Thanks!

Mariott courtyard (***) $1695 per person
Mariott Kauai $1928 -too much for me
Kauai Bay (***) 1562 per person
Aloha Beach (***) $1363 per person
Marc Resorts (***) $1581 per person
Sheratan (****) $1757 per person

colombiana Mar 29th, 2006 10:53 AM

Why would you have to pick a package?
go on your own, do your own research the same way you are doing here, this of course is my opinion, get into priceline and only pick 5 star hotels for a competitive rate and you will get it I can assure you you'll save A LOT of money that way. What advantage do you see to the package? Hope I can help

mphiebig Mar 29th, 2006 10:55 AM

These packages are from a travel agent w/ airfare and hotel for a week....I figured thats the way to go to go to Kauai affordably....

ggrtist Mar 29th, 2006 11:04 AM

It depends on where you're flying from. For instance from California, airfare is usually only about $300 to Oahu and then another $100-150 to add an interisland to Kauai. Then you can usually get great deals on resorts at some of the opaque bidding sites if you do good research. Also, Expedia usually has good deals for packages, often better than travel agents.

gigib Mar 29th, 2006 11:05 AM

Not necessarily...
What city are you flying from? The airfare is lower in October, but you won't see the prices posted until this summer. October can be a bargain month with lower prices.
I would check some hotels' websites and see what the room rates look like, think about doing Priceline for the hotel, look at something like Pleasant Holidays to get an idea. Do lots of searching about, both package and non-package.

It's too early to book any airfare, IMHO!

mphiebig Mar 29th, 2006 11:17 AM

it's my best friend's wedding and i want to make sure i get a flight, etc. on specific dates. should i live on the edge and wait for deals- are they really that good?

colombiana Mar 29th, 2006 11:41 AM

where is your trip starting? (which city?) Let me give you an example here I went into Orbitz and checked the rate for a 3 star hotel in October (from the first to 7th since I don't know when you are going) I got $140.00 to over $200.00 now we have an average, when you know exactly what you want you go into priceline and make a bid lets say for a 4 star hotel for 120.00 by the time they add their taxes lets say you end up paying all together $950 remember your starting now so you have plenty of time for them to tell you know until they get tired ;) not you, now we already have the hotel time to shop for airfare guess here I know Oct. if probably a little more than normal lets say 700.00 each (hopefully it will be less) by the time we finish you've spend $2350.00 and this is for a 4 star hotel. for 2 the cheapest you've got (this is me assuming your going with someone) $2727. does this help, just let me know what are your dates and cities and I'll love to give you a hand

mphiebig Mar 29th, 2006 11:48 AM

thanks-i'd love a hand! :) my trip is starting saturday oct. 14-sat. oct 21st and we want to stay in kauai - preferably the south shore.

we live in long island so we're looking to fly out of long island or nyc

colombiana Mar 29th, 2006 12:09 PM

checked american and the flights are kind of high right now, $855 :| the hotel I am sure will not be a problem on priceline you can get some really great deals now, you need to decide which side of the island you want to stay in, Princeville (very nice resorts, but there really is not alot to do on that side of the island except for the lighthouse Kilauea) which if I remember correctly was somewhat close to that side of the island. Please make sure you visit Waimea Canyon (views to die for)

iceeu2 Mar 29th, 2006 12:30 PM

Just checked some condo rates on the south shore and they are at the Lawai Beach Resort...across the street from The Beach House.

1 br-$900
2 br-$1,100

go to htse.net and find their phone # and talk to them...very nice people to talk with.

Also, check out summitpacific.com and look at the units at Kuhio Shores.

Once you get the lay of the land, so to speak, go to vrbo.com.....you may find something really good there.

Good luck and happy planning! You will get some good help here if my K9 Jr. High School cronies show up!

((r))i'2

mphiebig Mar 29th, 2006 01:24 PM

EXCELLENT! thanks so much for all of that info! :)