Notices

Need help from Providence resident

Oct 2nd, 2004, 08:30 PM
Original Poster

Need help from Providence resident

I need help from someone who knows Providence and the area around the Harborside location of Johnson and Wales University. My son is going to attend next Fall and we need help about where would be good apartment options for him (dorms full and he is done with roommates). Need to be near public transportation during "snow" days to get to campus. ALso, we will be visiting next summer and would like some advice of "don't miss" places to see and restaurants. Thank you!
Oct 3rd, 2004, 02:59 PM

I live in Southern Rhode Island about 35 minutes from Providence but I attended J&W Harborside a couple of years ago and Providence College about 10 years before that.
I will tell you that the area surrounding J&W Harborside can be sketchy. Some students do live in multifamily houses (that are rented out as apartments) in the area but there are much better neighborhoods.
There really is nothing in the immediate area of J&W harborside -hardly anything to walk to except a couple of fast food joints and divey bars.
The Eastside of Providence is very nice (and historical) and since both Brown and RISD are there, there are plenty of apartments rented out to students. It is a great place to live especially if your son will be alone. The Eastside is a short walk to downtown, restaurants, shops, music venues, galleries etc... with plenty of public transportation around and about a 10 minute ride to J&W.
Also, check out Federal Hill/Atwells Ave for good Italian restaurants and markets. It is a predominantly Italian neighborhood famous for its food.
Oct 4th, 2004, 06:54 AM

Go Friars!
Oct 4th, 2004, 08:51 AM

I graduated from J&W in '90. Unless things have changed around the neighborhood, and it sounds not likely, your best bet is to find a neighborhood close to where the buses transfer downtown, which used to be near the Fleet building. Federal Hill is good for this. I lived there in my second year. It was cheap and very unglamorous.
Another option is to live close to another campus or in another campus dorm. The J&W buses used to transfer kids between campuses.
I also lived on the Eastside and found that to be more comfortable, but more $$$. I think it was Lloyd Ave.
Keep in mind...this will be a killer for the start at 6am classes and the classes that end at 11pm.

Search this Thread