need help for trip to Washington and Oregon

Dec 28th, 2012, 04:54 PM
Original Poster

need help for trip to Washington and Oregon

Plan on spending 2-2.5 weeks in Washington and Oregon. I was planning on traveling in Sept. I'd appreciate any suggestions on an itinerary. Can fly into Portland or Seattle.
Dec 28th, 2012, 06:06 PM

My most favorite places to visit in Washington are Seattle, the San Juan Islands, Mt Rainier, the Methow Valley, and the Pallouse in the SE corner of the state..

Oregon and Washington share the Columbia River Gorge. In Oregon, I like the Historic Columbia River Highway for waterfalls and the view from Vista House, and in Washington I like Highway 14 for sweeping views of the river and Mt. Hood.

My most favorite places to visit in Oregon are the coast from Cannon Beach to Brookings, Mt. Hood via Highway 35 from Hood River, the high desert around John Day NP, and the Wallowa Mountains in the NE corner of the state.

There is much of interest in between.

HTtY
Dec 28th, 2012, 06:55 PM

Fooey - lost a post getting this page, our faorite lodge in Oregon up on Mt. Hood: http://www.timberlinelodge.com/

Anyhow - there are a number of good posts under these states - and a bonus of Washington is taking the ferry over to Victoria - on the big island of Vancouver - where you can find some great English pubs and High Tea - and also - getting out to Tofino and a Temperate Rain Forest.

In Oregon - love driving the Coast and also - hiway 97 in the center of the state - from the Southern end - including Crater Lake - up past snow capped cinder cones in the Cascades - and also checking out some of the rivers and lakes.
Dec 29th, 2012, 12:38 PM

Big cities or small towns? Mountains, oceans, or deserts?
Hiking? Mountain biking? Shopping?
Eating choices? Give us a clue.
Dec 29th, 2012, 01:44 PM
Original Poster

Prefer small towns, mountains, oceans, hiking (moderate).
Love all food, beer and wine.
Dec 29th, 2012, 01:48 PM

Put Newport, Ashland, and Bend on your list for Oregon, then.
Dec 29th, 2012, 02:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks!
Do I have time to visit Oregon, Washington, and Victoria without spending most of my time on the road?
Dec 29th, 2012, 04:05 PM

I spent 9 days in Washington and 12 days in Oregon--didn't even scratch the surface. I think you would have a better time picking just one and really doing it right, IMOP. We enjoyed both trips equally. Never did make it across the border, but that would be great too.

San Juan Islands and Mount Rainier were may favorites in Washington. Olympic National Park is very diverse and I didn't think it had the wow and awe factor. But, while I would give Mount Rainier a 10. I would give Olympics a 9 for mountains, a 9 for rain forest, and a 9 for beaches/ocean, and Sol Duc Falls area really something to see. So, while they aren't 10's, there are several 9's very close to each other. It's a very nice park with something different every few miles. Whale Watching in San Juan Islands was awesome. We went with Maya Whale Watching. Flowers are unbelievable at Mount Rainier.

Oregon
We included Mt St. Helens on this one. This is hard to describe as pretty, but it one of those things that you'll never forget. Columbia River Gorge waterfalls are great. Mt Hood is very nice. Crater Lake is amazing. Oregon Coast is much like the coast in the Olympics-you really can't go wrong with either. We went as far south as the Redwoods in CA on this trip. Enjoyed Oregon Caves too.

I would spend a day or two in both Portland and Seattle.
Dec 29th, 2012, 04:21 PM

I'd disagree with your comparison of the Washington & Oregon coasts, SB.
Dec 29th, 2012, 04:34 PM
Original Poster

Can you clarify about the differences between the Washington and Oregon coasts.
Dec 29th, 2012, 05:21 PM

Well, I'm biased, living in Oregon but remote, desolate and starkly beautiful are words I'd use to describe the Washington Coast.
Majestic, quaint(towns), inviting are words I'd use to describe Oregon's. Others can add their own opinions.
Dec 29th, 2012, 05:44 PM

Just the Olympic National Park Coast is what I saw in Washington. My comparison of them being similar is that they are nothing like Gulf Coast, Florida, Hawaii, Alaska, or Southern CA beaches. Sure, they are not the same but you will find good tidepooling, clear water. The sea stacks are what I found to make them seem similar.
Dec 29th, 2012, 05:47 PM

I have driven the entire coast from San Luis Obispo to Northern Oregon/Cannon Beach. That part seems very similar to me. It is what I consider the prettiest coast in the 48 states that I have seen. I don't really think you can go wrong with any of it or the part in the Olympics that I saw. All very nice.
Dec 29th, 2012, 06:42 PM
mms

The OR and WA coasts are vastly different. Bbqboy made the best description of them. I have lived in several locations in both OR and WA (live in OR now) and have been visiting these coastal locations for years. Night and day.
Dec 30th, 2012, 05:00 AM

A mountain range with 266 glaciers is probably a 10
Mar 8th, 2013, 09:45 AM

Sorry about dredging up an old post, but planning a trip to either Oregon or Washington in September. Only have a week and don’t want to rush so it’s an either or. We hike extensively and generally love the outdoors.

Want a coast with spectacular natural beauty, but like small towns for good food and maybe a fun bar. Nothing too fancy, but not on real tight budget either. Have been to Big Sur and North of San Francisco (Point Reyes). Also been to Mount Rainier so not on the list (though agree spectacular). Sounds like Washington coast more spectacular, but limited accommodation and few if any towns. Map makes it look like a fair number of towns on Washington coast at least south of the park. Am I reading this right or is Oregon just as spectacular, but has nice towns we may like more?
Mar 8th, 2013, 10:49 PM

You would do best to start a new thread of your own. It will get more traction.
Mar 9th, 2013, 04:19 AM

In my mind they were both very good. Now, I only did the part along the Olympic National Park area in Washington. I drove the entire coast of Oregon. Do you want to stay in one spot or do you want to do a different destination each night? That might make a difference too. It seemed to me at the time that a lot of the places did have a 2 night min.
Mar 9th, 2013, 05:53 AM
mms

spiro--The only town on our OR coast that has the two night minimums is Cannon Beach. The others towns don't have the same demand, so those hotels don't do it. Some will for popular weekends like 4th of July or Labor Day, but otherwise that is not the norm at all.
Mar 9th, 2013, 09:35 AM

I encountered that at Seaside, Astoria, and Tu Tun Lodge at Gold Beach. That was 3 years ago, so perhaps things have changed, but I did encounter that several places along the way. Of course, you would have to check. We were not there during a holiday. It was the last two weeks of July.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO