Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   NEED HELP FIRST TIME IN LAS VEGAS (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/need-help-first-time-in-las-vegas-217581/)

Elaine May 8th, 2002 11:12 AM

NEED HELP FIRST TIME IN LAS VEGAS

I WILL BE STAYING AT THE MIRAGE IN JUNE. I HAVE ALOT OF INFORMATION FROM DIFFERENT SITES,HOWEVER THEY ARE ALL DIFFERENT. I WOULD LOVE SOME SUGGESTIONS ABOUT THE RESTURANTS FROM PEOPLE WHO HAVE GOOD TASTE FOR FOOD. IN MY TRAVELS I HAVE BEEN VERY DISSAPOINTED. PLEASE HELP........

x May 8th, 2002 11:18 AM

Some guidance about price might help garner more responses. <BR><BR>We like Le Cirque, Circo, and Prime at Bellagio. Mon Ami Gabi in Paris for lunch, Tsunami and Il Cannaletto in the Venetian, and Spago at Ceasar's forum shops.<BR><BR>The thing about Vegas is that it has choices to fit every budget and taste. You want high end, go to the places in Bellagio, I've mentioned. If you want to eat cheaply stick to the buffets.

x May 8th, 2002 11:20 AM

Geez Elaine quit yelling

sara May 8th, 2002 11:21 AM

I very much enjoyed The Palms (incredible lobster and steak) at Caesar's and Zefferino's (Italian) at the Venetian. But, of course it depends on the type of food you're looking for and your budget. Enjoy Vegas!

Monique May 8th, 2002 11:57 AM

I loved Valentinos at Venetian. They had both meatless pasta and steak or lamb I forget which for my hubs. Also some kind of au gratin potatoes that I would kill to have the recipe for. Looking around us not ONE person was leaving food on the plate. Service was immpecable. Price for 2 with tip was $175 with drinks and dessert.<BR>On the other end of that scale I like the Saturday and Sunday all you can drink champagne and bloody mary buffet at Alladin. $36 for 2 not including tip. For a buffet in Vegas the food and service are quite good. Like that matters!! All you can drink mimosas hit the spot after a friday night on the town there.

Mike May 8th, 2002 05:45 PM

For very detailed reports on restaurants in LV, written by self proclaimed food snobs, go to www.chowhounds.com, then look under southwestern US restuarants, Las Vegas. Lots of very specific info there.

Denise May 8th, 2002 06:27 PM

I live here in Vegas, here's my advice:<BR>(Used to Live in NYC)<BR>If you don't mind paying for it, and appreciate fine dining, atmosphere, etc.<BR>I would say you can't go wrong w/ the better rest. at the Mirage, Definitely eat at AQUA (Bellagio) for seafood (the best Lobster pot pie in the world), PRIME AND PICASSO (also at Bellagio) for dinner, Noodles (lunch at bellagio),<BR>Try Andre's (eat at the one downtown, on 4th Steet, rather than the one at Mando. Bay, I think) Also, my family and I just dined at Alize, (Top floor at the Palms Hotel).....delightful, delicious, amazing food and amazing view (Reserve EARLY)... hope this helps a bit.....good luck.

Rich May 8th, 2002 10:25 PM

The best, #1 highest rated restaurant in Vegas is Michaels in the Barbary Coast. It is very intimate with fabulous food, huge portions and extremely personal service. Bring a thick wallet and be prepared for a $150 dinner for 2 (without wine) but are probably the most memorable meals I've ever had in ANY city! It is beyond spectacular (Zagat's highest rating) and I've dined at many of the finest. You will NOT be disappointed....I guarantee this. Rich

Paul May 8th, 2002 10:38 PM

I've lived here for 30 years, when my filthy rich Asian buyers come into town they feel very insulted if I don't take them to Michael's. This is heads above the other suggestions mentioned, but Las Vegas has many great restaurants. It has become very competitive with NYC where I also lived for 20+ years. I don't think you'll be disappointed. I hope you enjoy visiting our city. Zagat gave Michaels the #1 rating for the entire city in 2001. Paul

truth in advertising May 9th, 2002 05:40 AM

I'm sure Michael's is a good choice and will make for a fine meal. However, both Rich & Paul are wrong when they say it was the highest rated location in town according to Zagats.<BR><BR>There are 10 places rated higher, including Prime, Le Cirque, Picasso, and Aqua at Bellagio and Renior at Mirage. There are another 7 that have the same rating for food.<BR><BR>Don't get me wrong, a 26 for food is the mark of a great establishment. But to call it the best in town in not accurate. It also reeived a vote for service that was far below several of the other places mentioned.

Elaine May 9th, 2002 06:26 AM

I would just like to thank everyone for your help. I am sure my stay in LV will be wonderful. Thanks again.

cyril May 9th, 2002 03:22 PM

Hey Elaine, it depends on what you like to eat. I myself find the best eats are away from the hotels. I'm not one for paying loads of money for nothing. I love the local cuisine. If you go to Flamingo and go west to Jones and make a left on Jones, immediately on your left hand side, there is a fabulous Thai BBQ Restaurant. You might think Thai and BBQ don't fit but this restaurant is my favortie. The Pepper Steak is out of this world and its just a small quaint little spot. They're specialty of course is the Thai BBQ and its outstanding as well but for the price it can't be beat. <BR><BR>Try Kathy's on the Henderson side of town for a taste or REAL SOUTHERN COOKING!! FABULOUS SOUL FOOD. I'm getting hungry just writing about it. But if you do enjoy the hotel spots try Casear's Palace (Cheesecake Factory) unbelieveable portions and the food is good. Or try Drais restaurant for fabulous upscale dinners. It all depends on your taste I guess.

cyril May 9th, 2002 03:24 PM

Hey Elaine, it depends on what you like to eat. I myself find the best eats are away from the hotels. I'm not one for paying loads of money for nothing. I love the local cuisine. If you go to Flamingo and go west to Jones and make a left on Jones, immediately on your left hand side, there is a fabulous Thai BBQ Restaurant. You might think Thai and BBQ don't fit but this restaurant is my favortie. The Pepper Steak is out of this world and its just a small quaint little spot. They're specialty of course is the Thai BBQ and its outstanding as well but for the price it can't be beat. <BR><BR>Try Kathy's on the Henderson side of town for a taste or REAL SOUTHERN COOKING!! FABULOUS SOUL FOOD. I'm getting hungry just writing about it. But if you do enjoy the hotel spots try Casear's Palace (Cheesecake Factory) unbelieveable portions and the food is good. Or try Drais restaurant for fabulous upscale dinners. It all depends on your taste I guess. <BR><BR>While your here, you might not know about all of the tours available for sightseeing in Las Vegas. Go to our website: www.all-las-vegas-tours.com and check out what we have to offer. Over 120 different tours and the prices can't be beat...we guaranteee it. You can experience horseback riding, helicopter tours, limo tours, Hoover Dam tours, Grand Canyon tours, thrill ride tours, and much more.<BR><BR>ENJOY