Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   need help finding central location (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/need-help-finding-central-location-721607/)

bambii Jul 17th, 2007 11:34 AM

need help finding central location

my dad has a big birthday coming up so we are trying to find a central location to celebrate. We are located in Florida, DC, San Diego and Colorado. looking for suggestions on good weekend destinations in september/october timeframe that might be easy/affordable for all to get to. we are really open to types of destinations at this point (golf, beach, ranch, music town, anything!). thanks.

Hubster Jul 17th, 2007 11:45 AM

I'd forget the central location and do either SD or FL.

thurstonbb Jul 17th, 2007 11:51 AM

If people will be flying the airport would be a great consideration. Hubs like Orlando, Atlanta, etc... can give cheaper flights and best access for all.

GoTravel Jul 17th, 2007 11:53 AM

Chicago!

It's such a great town and September and October are beautiful AND it is an airline hub!

bambii Jul 17th, 2007 11:55 AM

airports - orlando, DCA/IAD/BWI, Denver, San Diego.
we don't want to do SD or FL bc the flights will be too long or too expensive for some.

pollyvw Jul 17th, 2007 11:58 AM

Just heard on tv a few days ago that from tennessee you can access 75% of the nations population within X hours (don't rem the number, but the point is...it's central to most of the US). Nashville? Memphis?

FainaAgain Jul 17th, 2007 12:04 PM

Chicago, Denver, St Louis, New Orleans... I'd just take a map then check which cities are on direct Southwest flights.

dfr4848 Jul 17th, 2007 12:11 PM

Would agree with New Orleans. Weather would be good; some of the best restaurants anywhere; should be able to get some great deals on hotels, and very decent air access.

bambii Jul 17th, 2007 12:25 PM

great suggestions - thanks. we're going to check into nashville, texas and NM (although i think NM might be too $$ for the east coasters) but still open to suggestions. just did new orleans and chicago...

pollyvw Jul 17th, 2007 01:03 PM

Bambi, do a websearch for 'resorts tennessee.' Looks like there are many family oriented vacation places where you could fly into/out of Nashville/Memphis. Find something you like and then come back and ask about those sites particularly.

williamscb13 Jul 17th, 2007 01:35 PM

San Antonio?

turista Jul 17th, 2007 04:08 PM

Texas, Houston is a Continental hub and less than 30 miles away is Galveston. The water isn't clear like San Diego but the weather is great in October, unless anyone is allergic to ragweed, lookout! San Antonio and Austin are both about a 3 hours drive and the hill country is beautiful. There's lots of great golf too. How about a dude ranch? Horses and just lots of family fun even if you are all big kids now. Try Bandera for that. I do love Chicago too.