Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Need help deciding about Washington vs. Philadelphia (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/need-help-deciding-about-washington-vs-philadelphia-67386/)

Mike h. Apr 4th, 2000 09:11 PM

Need help deciding about Washington vs. Philadelphia

<BR>I am trying to plan my itinerary to Washington, D.C. or Philadelphia with my 18 yr. old son and wife. I am the history buff of the family but my wife and son enjoy historical places if they are interesting. <BR>We all enjoy nat. hist./science museums and amusement parks.(TRAVELING IN June or July) <BR> <BR>I made a short stop in Gettysbutg, Pa enroute to New Jersy and Mew York. But did not spend enough time there. Here is my tentative itinerary. From mid-Illinois, drive east on Interstate 70 to hwy. 40 east towards either York, PA or Frederick, Md. with day trips to Washington. D.C.(using the Metro) and Philadelphia/Pennsylvania Dutch country. I am interested in a walking tour of the Naval Academy at Annapolis, Md and the town. Am I planning too much? I am from a small town and do not do too much city driving. Would be interested in hearing from other families that ventured to Washington/Baltimore and Philadelphia.

Daniel Apr 5th, 2000 06:48 AM

I am one of those "pack it all in" travelers, so you may want a slower pace than I usually do. However, if you are trying to decide which city to spend more time in, I say it's Washington hands-down. Even if you just drive into the city, park your car near a metro station and go to the mall for the day, you will see a LOT. All the major museums are right there, along with the monuments, the White House, the Capitol, etc. <BR> <BR>If you have more time, be sure to visit Georgetown and Arlington. <BR> <BR>Since you are the history buff, there are many historic towns in the outlying area in Virginia, etc. <BR> <BR>Philadelphia is nice, but much less friendly for walking and taking in a lot of sights.

elaine Apr 5th, 2000 07:15 AM

Mike, <BR> <BR>As a Philadelphia native, I totally agree with Mike. While I am partial to Philadelphia, DC will have more sites that are very close to each other. Of course, if you have the time, you could vist both!

RW Apr 5th, 2000 08:45 AM

If you like history, I really think you should also visit Annapolis when in the DC area. You can definitely take a tour of the Naval Academy, and the town is small and very pretty to walk. (If you do go, don't miss Jimmy Cantler's crabs. Ask someone how to get there, but it is located right on the Bay, and has all-you-can eat crabs. For me, its the best crabs in DC-Balt area). <BR> <BR>You may also want to stay overnight in Annapolis at a bed and breakfast, or on the other side of the Bay at St. Michaels (very beautiful small town). <BR> <BR>When I first saw you wanting to do a day trip in DC, I didn't think it was a great idea; but maybe it is not so bad after all. You would have to drive to Gaithersburg, MD (furthermost point) to catch the Metro and take into DC. Very easy and convenient. Takes you right to the Mall. <BR> <BR>Also, I think people are surprised at how much they like Baltimore. I'm down there on business relatively often and love the Inner Harbor, Fells Point and LIttle Italy....

Bill Apr 5th, 2000 09:41 AM

Mike, <BR>Obviously you could spend several days at either location with plenty to do and see. I'm living in central PA so both are long day trips or weekenders for me and I'd go with DC, not even close. <BR>The main reasons: 1. DC's superb metro - park at a beltway station and forget about parking problems. 2. Diversity of museums and historic sites, and they're all free! 3. Superior dining for any budget and taste - try the Adams Morgan area (Metro stop north of Dupont Circle) for some great ethenics. As RW pointed out, Baltimore is nearby and lot of fun - both can be done from the same hotel between the two if you like. Don't waste a lot of time in Dutch country (I grew up there) other than actual historic areas - the rest is mostly tourist traps.

GOP Apr 5th, 2000 02:49 PM

Keep in mind that the Republican National Convention will be in Philadelphia July 29th through August 4th. Hotel rooms are totally booked and the city will be packed with visitors.

Ruth Apr 6th, 2000 10:17 AM

I too am prejudiced in favor of DC--I work there. If you want to do the city and Annapolis, you might want to stay at the Greenbelt Marriott in Greenbelt Maryland. It's right near a metro station and an easy drive to Annapolis. You could also catch the MARC train to Baltimore for the day from the same station where the metro is (different platforms, though, so be sure to follow the signs or ask--also check schedules since it's a commuter train service that only operates mornings and afternoon/evenings on weekdays). Baltimore has the national acquarium and a science museum. Also Fort McHenry for the history buff.