Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   need food advice (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/need-food-advice-223981/)

jodie May 22nd, 2002 01:56 PM

need food advice

We are visiting NYC June 17-22.. We are staying at Edison Hotel in the theater district.. my question is: where to eat?? we are not rich and would like to stick around $15 per person for meals. We do not drink so that is just food. Is that doable in NYC?? Or will we have to eat Mcdonalds???!!

Merilee May 22nd, 2002 02:24 PM

Hi Jodie...my suggestion is to have a large breakfast and lunch, which are less expensive...other less expensive meal options are pizzerias, many of which also serve salads, hot sandwiches, and pasta dishes...there are many wonderful inexpensive ethnic restaurants located along 9th Avenue in the west 40's, which is near your hotel...you'll find Greek, Italian, Thai and Vietnamese just to name a few...you're also staying one block away from restaurant row, where you can look at the menus posted outside before you decide.

Serena May 22nd, 2002 06:24 PM

Merilee is correct. It would be better to eat your large meal at lunch. Lunch prices will not be as expensive as the dinner menu. Many hotel rooms have microwaves and refrigerators in the room. You might check with the hotel to see if they provide these in the rooms. There are many little grocery stores in the area that sell take out food.

patty May 22nd, 2002 08:39 PM

Some favorite cheap restaurants near the theater district are: Island Burgers (hamburgers & great chicken sandwiches) on Ninth Ave (the best cheap eating street in the area as Merilee noted), Sapporo (Japanese noodle soups) on 49th Street east of Seventh Ave and Chinar (Indian) at 204 W. 50th St.<BR><BR>There's always Chinese or Vietnamese (on Ninth Ave or go to Chinatown), especially lunch specials, or a sandwich & soup at the Cheese Shop on Ninth Ave between 43rd & 44th St (take out only). You can eat cheap in NYC!

xx May 23rd, 2002 04:25 AM

Dallas BBQ at W.43rd just east of Broadway. You could eat for as little as $10 for two. Taking advantage of their early bird costs about the same as eating at MacDonalds.

Kathy May 23rd, 2002 04:52 AM

We were in NYC in April and ate most of our meals at the Galaxy Cafe on the corner of 46th St and 9th Ave. They have a great brunch menu Sat.& Sun. Prices for dinner can be found for under $15.00. The best seafood we had was at this resturant. You won't go wrong here. Lots of different choices.

danna May 24th, 2002 05:03 AM

There is a John's Pizza in the Theater district. The last few times my husband and I ate at John's, I think the bill was $11 for both. You can also eat well and cheaply at Katz Deli, but that will be a subway ride away. Also, if you order pasta and don't drink, I think you might be able to stay close to your budget in LIttle Italy. I like Il Cortile.. and it has a lot of atmosphere for a festive evening out. Also, Becco in the Theater District, last time I checked, had a $19.99 dinner special of anitpasti and 3 family style pastas. Becco is owned by the same guys as Felidia, a famous and expensive restaurant.<BR><BR> I think that's the beauty of NYC: you can have a 3 hour gourmet marathon that costs $300 one night, and then have another fabulous meal the next day for less than the tip cost you the previous evening.<BR><BR>If you go to Chowhound.com (the Manhattan board) and ask this question you will most likely get gobs of helpful advice from food lovers.

j May 24th, 2002 05:57 AM

We always enjoy Cosi's Sandwiches (multiple locations) for a quick, reasonable lunch. Great freshly baked breads and excellent upscale sandwich ingredients. You build your own sandwich with your preferences.

SZ May 24th, 2002 08:07 AM

Since you are staying at the Edison I recommend eating at... the Edison! It's pretty much diner fare but their soups, particularly the matzoh ball, are excellent.