Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

A question about the National Parks Pass.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30th, 2004, 03:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last summer, I purchased a National Parks Pass and used it at the end of July. They punched a hole in the month of July on the card.
I know it's good for a year but, I want to know will it still be good in July next Summer?
Old Sep 30th, 2004, 03:24 PM

If you purchased your pass in July 03 it expired on July 31, 04. It is good til the last day of the month twelve months from when you purchased it.
Old Sep 30th, 2004, 03:27 PM

Photodog, your mathematics are off. If the pass is good for a 12-month period, then hers would expire at the end of June! However, if the year is figured on a 365-day situation, then it would expire late in July, an exact year from when it was purchased.
Old Sep 30th, 2004, 03:30 PM
E

His math may be off, but Photodog is right--if the hole is punched in July, the pass is good until July 31 of the following year.
Old Sep 30th, 2004, 03:42 PM
iceeu2

Are the passes transferrable? Do they check the signatures against your dl as they say? Just wondering cause we are going and I certainly don't have a problem buying my own, but my step-son just purchased one in August and left it at our house.

Old Sep 30th, 2004, 03:47 PM

I've used my pass several times in the past 10 days at three different national parks and each time, they asked for both the pass and my driver's license.

Even if they did not, using someone else's pass is a crime - theft of services - and people are prosecuted for it.
Old Sep 30th, 2004, 03:52 PM
iceeu2

geez, dwooden, just asked if they actually were transferrable. Didn't need your lecture, and how could it be a theft if it was given to you? I knew I would get flamed for even asking the question. Guess that's what the attitude post was all about!
A simple yes or no would have sufficed to both my questions.
Transferrable? yes or no
Check dl to pass? yes or no

Old Sep 30th, 2004, 03:54 PM
iceeu2

And another thing, the DH said his son was told they are good for the immediate family.
His father is pretty immediate, isn't he?

Old Sep 30th, 2004, 03:55 PM
Original Poster

Great! Thanks, for your replies, I will be going to different National Parks again next July and it's great I can still use it.
They always checked my ID when I used it last July.
Old Sep 30th, 2004, 03:58 PM

Ooops. Sorry, but I thought a year's pass meant just that....a year. But then, of course, we're talking about the government!
Old Sep 30th, 2004, 04:08 PM

"how could it be a theft if it was given to you?" iceeu2: I wasn't trying to flame you. I am a retired cop and I was trying to make you and others aware that something that seems innocent can lead to unanticipated consequences. To answer your question, the theft is not of the card, it is of the use of it for entry by someone it was not issued to. The passes are good for immediate family but only if they are in the same vehicle as the person to whom the pass was issued. When they are used by someone else, the pass can be confiscated and the person using it can be criminally cited or arrested.

I'm sorry you took this as a personal flame - it was certainly not intended as that - only as information.
Old Sep 30th, 2004, 04:12 PM
iceeu2

Thanks for your help, dwoodden. Sorry to be such a gripe, but I've been accused of being sensitive more than once today. We will buy our own pass.

Old Sep 30th, 2004, 07:56 PM

I'm confused, as usual.

If Trisha purchased her pass LAST summer (summer of '03), and the pass is good for 12 months, how is it possible for her to use the same pass NEXT summer (summer '05)?

If you figure this one out and we can all do it - legally, of course, please let me know.

I went to Muir Woods last weekend and the Ranger looked at my card, clucked and said,"Oh, oh, you're going to need a new one next month." (My pass has a hole punched in September). My pass is good for one year, so, if you know of some way to extend it beyond the one year period, please let me know. Thanks!
Old Oct 1st, 2004, 02:23 AM
Original Poster

Easytraveler, I purchased the card last July of 2004. I think that will clear up the confusion.
Old Oct 1st, 2004, 03:36 AM
maj

When we purchased ours on May 15, 2004 the ranger told us it was good through May 31, 2005.
Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 03:30 PM
iceeu2

And...if you are 62 years old or greater..and a US citizen...you can get a golden age pass for $10....It's good for your lifetime.
DH found out it actually is beneficial to be an old guy!

Old Nov 4th, 2004, 06:00 AM

It depends where you are visiting, but there are some different perks with the NP passes. Last summer our whole family went on vacation (granparents, parents, and kids), and the grandparent's Golden Age Pass (62+)got everyone into several parks free. We were all in 2 cars, so 1 grandparent in each car covered everybody. The pass is also good for half-price admission to other parks - like Carlsbad Caverns - half off admission fee for pass holder, but not anybody else. It just depends on the park. The passes are also good at BLM, Fish & Wildlife, and Forest Service areas. The passes are really handy on vacation, and they would make a great gift for anyone who travels a lot. Here is the NPS Parks Pass website. http://www.nps.gov/fees_passes.htm
Old Nov 4th, 2004, 08:16 AM

To beckers2482. Need to clarify something you wrote. The National Park Pass is good at BLM, US Fish & Wildlife and US Forest Service for entrance fees only if you purchase in addition to the Natl Park Pass the $15 Golden Eagle sticker which then "upgrades" the National Park Pass to include these other agencies. Otherwise you still have to pay admission fees to the non-park or monument areas.
Old Nov 4th, 2004, 08:53 AM

Thanks for the clarification photodog, you are right. It is definitely worth the extra $15, imo!
Old Nov 4th, 2004, 04:57 PM

HowardR,

Yes, this is government, but I would imagine that they might have been trying to make it easier on the ranger checking the park pass as you entered. By making it by the month, then they don't have to check to make sure the date in that month hasn't expired too.

Unfortunately, one time we had to buy a National Park pass on June 30 so ours was only good for the 365 days. I like it when we buy them towards the beginning of the month...I feel like I got a better deal since it's good for 13 months then! LOL.

Utahtea