Need feedback on Sleepy Hollow Motor Inn in Woods Hole Cape Cod, please

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21st, 2003, 06:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wondering if anyone has had experience with this motel. I am looking for just a basic clean room for one night. It doesn't have to be fancy since we'll only be there to sleep.

Also, please share any other suggestions you might have. We would like something in the Woods Hole area if possible. Also, we're hoping for reasonably priced accommodations since we won't be spending more than 8 or so hours there.

Thanks to all.
Old Aug 21st, 2003, 07:39 AM

Looks fine for your needs, approved as basic but clean by AAA and Mobil.
www.shmotel.com/
Old Aug 21st, 2003, 08:15 AM
Original Poster

joesorce, thanks for the reply. I had already visited the site and it LOOKS good. I am a AAA member and had seen the listing for the Sleepy Hollow Motor Lodge in their tour book. Although I have never had a problem with AAA tour book recommendations, personally, a few of my friends have, and I have also seen poor reviews for some of their recommended lodgings in the Fodors Rants and Raves section.

I suppose some of the negativity might have something to do with inapproriately high expectations for a given lodging. I have only stayed in 3 diamond lodgings, or higher, but I know not to expect as much from the Sleepy Hollow Lodge since it is only a 2 diamond establishment.

All that I am interested in is that the room is clean and quiet, and that it hopefully has a comfortable bed.

Thanks again!
Old Aug 21st, 2003, 10:29 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sometimes there is very little difference between 2 and 3 star lodgings. I think ,for instance, that AAA requires either indoor corridors or electronic key-locks to get 3 stars. A lot of mom & pop motels in "safe areas" don't have these so don't qualify for that 3rd star.

Some people think that taking out an ad in the AAA magazine "qualifies" you for an extra star. That might be true.
Old Aug 21st, 2003, 11:06 AM

We actually spent one night there last summer - used it for over flow from a family house party in the area. The room was simple and clean. However we slept poorly due to the constant flow of traffic right outside our window coming and going to the ferry landing (including lots of trucks transporting stuff to the Vinyard). This is a problem with all of the motels on that strip, but you cant beat the handy ferry access. You ought to request a room as far as possible from the road. We also had problems with noisy neighbors arriving late and staying up all night to catch an early ferry.....afraid that comes with the location. If you are travelling after the peak summer season you ought to experience less noise.
Old Aug 21st, 2003, 12:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Elston! That's exactly the type of information I was looking for! I guess this motel will serve our purpose since it is clean and in a good location. It would be nice if it would be quiet, too, but I guess I can't have everything for that price.

We really didn't pick this location for its proximity to the ferry, but rather its proximity to Nobska Light. Sandy mentioned that this motel is only 1 mile from the lighthouse. I didn't realize the motel was so close to the road, though, because the photos on the website make it look like the SHML is set back in a wooded area.

I'll try and ask for a room away from the road. I don't know how lucky I'll be with that request, however, since I am making the reservation at the last minute and I think I would be getting the last room. It's a double, which my husband probably won't love since he is tall, but hopefully we'll be able to get a queen at the last minute.

I just hope that he gets a good night sleep, otherwise I'm going to be hearing "I told you so" since he just wanted to leave at 2:00AM (Uggggh) Saturday morning and just drive through the night. He hates traffic, as we all do, and he said that we'd sail through at that time.

I convinced him, though, that we needed a good night sleep so we should leave Friday after work. So, a good night sleep I hope he gets!

Thanks again!
Old Aug 21st, 2003, 01:44 PM
gyppielou

Let your dear husband know that some of the worst traffic jams have been in the middle of the night because everyone thought the same thing...patterns to the Cape are very unpredictable. Have fun! Check out the Fishmonger!

Old Aug 21st, 2003, 04:37 PM
Original Poster

gyppielou, thanks for the comeback. Well, I FINALLY have a reservation for tomorrow night at the Sleepy Hollow Motor Inn. The room rate is only $115 plus tax, which seems to be a steal!

Thanks again for everyone's help!