Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Need Directions From Penn Central Station in Newark to Ridgewood, NJ!! (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/need-directions-from-penn-central-station-in-newark-to-ridgewood-nj-727410/)

aucho53 Aug 8th, 2007 03:45 PM

Need Directions From Penn Central Station in Newark to Ridgewood, NJ!!

Hi everyone,

I'm taking a last minute trip to Newark, NJ and will be arriving saturday morning via Greyhound bus at the Penn Central Station. I need to get to Ridgewood NJ which i believe is about 15 miles away. I've been on the NJ transit website but I can't figure it out....lol...it's confusing!

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I should travel? My last resort would be to take a cab, but if I do end up having to do that any ideas on what I am looking at price wise??

Thanks soooo much!!

Layla %%-

girlonthego Aug 8th, 2007 04:05 PM

Where is Penn Central Station? Is it Newark Penn Station or Penn Station in NYC?
There are trains that will take you to the center of Ridgewood town on the Main line or Bergen line on NJ transit. This is a very easy mode of transportation. NJ Transit website will give you all the info you should need.
When I went there, I typed in Newark Penn STation as your starting point and Ridgewood as your final. You would have to change trains in Seacaucus NJ.
Not sure if Penn Central is in a different location from the train stations?

aucho53 Aug 8th, 2007 04:12 PM

Hey girlonthego,

Thanks for all your tips...

By Penn Central I did mean the one in Newark...

So just to clear up...I grab a train on the Main Line and switch trains in seacaucus and continue on to Ridgewood right?? How complicated is it to find the trains once I get off the bus?? Do you know if there is an information counter at the station where I would be able to get some help if I get confused??

Thanks again

Layla %%-

Ryan Aug 8th, 2007 04:27 PM

It's been awhile since I've gotten off the train in Newark. But, the station isn't that big. If I recall correctly, the bus loading area is near one of the side doors. Once inside the terminal, it is fairly well signed for the tracks. I might suggest you buy your ticket ahead of time (the machines are fairly easy to use) as there is a $5 surcharge for tickets purchased on the train.

aucho53 Aug 8th, 2007 04:32 PM

Ryan - Thanks very much!

I was just on the NJ transit site and finally figured it out (sorta lol) but I'm worried now that if my bus is scheduled to arrive at 8am and is just slightly late that I will miss the 8:12am train...and have to wait until 9:12 for the next one....the more i think of it i might just grab a cab but i was hoping to avoid doing so as I'm not sure what to expect price wise.

thanks again!!

Layla %%-

girlonthego Aug 8th, 2007 04:33 PM

Thanks Ryan. I have never gone through Newark. I used to commute from northern NJ through Hoboken.
I imagine, like Ryan said that it will be easy to find your train once in the terminal. I managed to find our train in the New York City Penn Station last year and we had to switch at Montclair state. It was easy.
I also recommend buying tickets ahead of time. It will save time and money.
Good luck. Ridgewood is a beautiful town.

aucho53 Aug 8th, 2007 04:39 PM

thanks again girlonthego!!

I think I might opt for a taxi ater all lol :) would you have any clue what I would be looking at in terms of cost??

Layla %%-

girlonthego Aug 9th, 2007 04:48 AM

Sorry Layla, not a clue. I haven't lived in NJ in about 10 years. Even then, public transit is the way I went. Taxi will be expensive. I would book the 9:00 train you talked about if you are worried about connection problems. Have a cup of coffee while you wait.
Anyway, good luck. Hopefully topping this thread will get you more answers from people who still live in NJ! :)