Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Need Chicago Ideas for Girls' Trip (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/need-chicago-ideas-for-girls-trip-523438/)

Segimom Apr 22nd, 2005 08:12 PM

Need Chicago Ideas for Girls' Trip

My sisters and I are taking our mom to Chicago for her 70th birthday in early July and need some ideas for accomodations (we will be 12 persons from ages 16 - 70), dining and activities. Already have tickets for "Wicked." Mom loves Cocco Pazzo, but what about Cafe Luciano's? Thanks.

JJ5 Apr 23rd, 2005 05:11 AM

Do you want to stay Loop or Michigan Ave. or by the Chicago River?

Look at the Chicago map and pick your section. Oriental Theater (Wicked)is 24 Randolph in the Loop. Museums (Shedd, Field, Art Institute) are all in the Loop. WaterTower/Mag. Mile and high end shopping are Michigan Ave. area. I myself think for a group that size, you may want to be mid/range- maybe on the River. Or if you want State St./Millenium Park quite a bit-Loop.

There have been excellent Chicago threads in the last 3 months, do a search in the function here for Chicago hotel or whatever you are interested in and you will get much more defined information from the experts.

With a party that size, IMHO, you won't be doing Priceline or Hotwire sites for reservations- so I would first pick my desired area and call around for a package deal perhaps. Also visit some of the online sites that detail Marriott, Hyatt, etc. specials- google them for their links. You should be able to get top class rooms for about $119 dollars- if you do the research. On Priceline I just got July night for $65 at a 4 star-River location.

I am not a restaurant expert but have been doing some research for myself. Heaven on Seven is not far from the theater. I may combine that with the show when I go.

exiledprincess Apr 23rd, 2005 06:04 AM

Don't know your price range, but if you are interested in a B&B as an alternative to a hotel, do a little research on-line about Flemish House.

Of course, if you are in Chicago the first week of July, there are the 4th of July celebrations and the end of the Taste of Chicago.

The Toulouse-Latrec exhibit starts at the Art Institute mid-July but the collections from now defunct Terra Museum are open to the public and I urge you to go. You will not be disappointed. They are excellent.

Then, after, spend an evening at Millennium Park at the Gehry designed Pritzker Pavillion listening to the Grant Park Symphony - that's free. Then go to Buckingham Fountain for the light show after (on the hour each hour).

Recommend that you all take the Chicago Architecture Foundation River Cruise.

Cafe Luciano's is ok - but try Carmine's instead.

You might want to consider taking one of the cruises from Navy Pier into the lake. However, if you are going to the Shedd Aquarium/Field Museum, you can take the water taxi across to Navy Pier for a great view of the skyline. Check out the Stained Glass Museum if/while you are at Navy Pier - or maybe you'd like to attend the Chicago Shakespeare Theatre for one of their productions.

Lastly, check out the City of Chicago's website for any neighborhood festivals or events which may be happening while you are here.

Kristi Apr 24th, 2005 08:10 AM

Coco Pazzo and Carmine's are two different kinds of Italian dining experiences. I am not a Coco Pazzo fan, the food is Tuscan Italian, it's expensive, portions are small, the restaurant is a little more stuffy. Cafe Luciano is also Tuscan so it's a bit more similar to Coco Pazzo than Carmine's.

Carmine's is one of the Rosebud restaurants, known for their whopping portions of Italian classics. I too would go here or to Rosebud on Rush over Cafe Luciano but you should have a look at the menu and see if that's what your mom would like.

Another Italian place you might want to look at is Osteria Via Stato, the newer LEYE restaurant on State St. Dining here is more like a 2-3 hour event, it's fixed price at $35.95 per person, wine flights are popular here and range from $15-$50 per person or you can order from the wine list. It's supposed to resemble a true Italian meal with portions getting smaller as you go from antipasto to pasta to entree.

exiledprincess Apr 24th, 2005 10:34 AM

Thanks, Kristi, for pointing out the diffences in the regional cuisine/presentation. I hadn't thought of that comparison but was only commenting on the quality of the cuisine and ambiance. My apologies.

elmom Apr 24th, 2005 11:23 AM

we went to a jazz club called "Andy's" on Hubbard St. the nice thing was they had live jazz feom dinner time on -- you didn't have to wait until late nite. It was also a very friendly, any one welcome type of palce - with food and snacks and full dinner. The nite we were there, there was some famous singer in the audience and the trio invited her up ... it was as "hamishe" as jazz can get!