Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Need Breakfast places near Westin {Maui} and Marriott Ko'Olina {Oahu} - Help!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13th, 2006, 06:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all!
I need some help as our trip is fast approaching and I messed up somehow. I thought that we had breakfast included with our packages at Westin Maui and Marriott Ko'Olina so have not paid any attention to TR with info related to breakfast.

Yesterday, I just happended to check my confirmations and realized both were "sana" breakfast! YIKES - at least I realized this before we went

I know I could do a search and scroll the 100's {1,000's ?} of TR but I am really pressed for time trying to get things in order for trip so I was hoping I could count on you to get me suggestions in one concise spot.

SO -- if I could ask you to post your suggestions for places near these hotels that have good, simple breakfasts that won't break the budget...I would be MOST appreciative!

And also any food store that might be nearby so that if we had to buy cereal & milk for b'fast we could do so.

Thanks [in advance] so much!

Debi
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 08:24 AM

There is only one option for breakfast directly on the Marriott Ko'Olina. It's a little outdoor grill restaurant at the pool/lagoon area. Forgot the name but they have a tasty buffet, about $12 per person though.

However, the 1bdr. have full kitchens and the studios have at least a mini-kitchenette so if you want to save money you can easily stop at the grocery store and stock up on breakfast items. You can enjoy your own meal on the lanai with a beautiful view of the lagoons
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 09:08 AM

Hey Debi,
re: the Westin, HOW close should recommendations be? Only places right in the Kaanapali resort area, or ok to give some in Lahaina town, or some a ten minute drive north? I'll check back later here, so as to give a couple helpful recommendations vs boring details now of places farther away than you and your family want.
As for Ko Olina, I eagerly await YOUR ideas upon your return, as I just signed up for one of those Marriott deals--no timeshare presentation required!
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 09:39 AM
Original Poster

CaliNurse - No presentation! I am jealous, but armed with Consumer Affair brochure, I should be ok.

It's just DH and me and we will have car at both places and don't mind driving 15 mins or so for breakfast. We don't need much -- simple eggs, pancakes, bagels, muffins, french toast [not all at once!] will work. Also, the in-room thing will help as long as we can keep milk for cereal.

The buffet sounds good, but I tend to eat too much at those and then feel sluggish all morning. Maybe once or twice

Debi
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 10:05 AM

God, how can you NOT find a place to eat in Lahaina? I must be missing something.

We normally stop and get juice and granola bars, yogurt, etc. on the way to the hotel - even if it doesn't come with a small fridge. Not a problem for us, because we also travel with a soft sided travel cooler to keep our stuff nice and cool. We eat in the room or on the lanai, or in the car on the way to a hike or take it down to the beach and enjoy our breakfast there. I only remember eating a hotel breakfast once in Hawaii. If you must have your eggs and bacon, you'll find plenty of places. And, if you are truly in a pinch, stop by McDonald's.

Maui is the one island where you won't be able to miss the grocery stores, food markets, Mickey D's and lots of restaurants - it's why I prefer Oahu and the Big Island. Lahaina was crazy 16 years ago - can't imagine it now and MORE built up!
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 10:15 AM
TahitiTams

Aloha Debi..
The best place that we have found in Maui in the Kapalua area is the Plantation House at the Kapalua Golf Course Clubhouse..the views are incredible and the food is always good and cheap too! The Salmon or the Ahi Benedict is to die for.
It will take about 15 minutes or less but is it so worth it!
The Gazebo is outstanding too in Napili.
Have fun..

theplantationhouse.com

Old Sep 13th, 2006, 10:18 AM

Good news. According to google, a McD's is .2 away from the Westin.

Waikiki has lots of breakfast options, including Denny's etc.
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 10:32 AM

starrsville, they're staying at the Marriott in Ko'olina out by Ewa - way too far to go to Waikiki McDonalds for breakfast .
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 10:35 AM

OK, sorry starrsville, so I can't read. Still too far to go to DENNY'S for breakfast
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 10:44 AM

The JW Marriott at Ko'olina has a coffee bar in the lobby that sells pastries, fruit, etc. That's where I got breakfast every day.
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 01:33 PM

kama, the OP said "we will have car at both places and don't mind driving 15 mins or so for breakfast."

According to google, there's a McDonald's less than 1 mile away and a Denny's 12 miles away.

Based on the OP's question, it seemed to be workable for them. I prefer a different breakfast, but she can the breakfast items she listed at inexpensive prices.

What is better in Hawaii for breakfast than fresh pineapple eaten on the lanai?!?!

Love the Marriott BTW. Friends stayed there - and loved it.
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 02:06 PM

There is a little town, Kapolei, nearby KoOlina with a Safeway and a Kmart. We bought things for breakfast and beach snacks. We ate at a small restaurant in Kapolei, Jurison's Westside Cafe, we had a nice dinner and they have a marvelous fried cheesecake. They serve breakfast as well, although we didn't try it because we didn't discover them until the last day.
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 03:13 PM

OK Debi, since you'll have a car and don't mind a short drive...
According to son and DIL, fav bkfst place away from crowds is--a second YES to TahitiTam's recommendation of The Gazebo. It's on the property of Outrigger Napili Shores (?) so if you go to Outrigger's site and search Maui on its drop-down menu, you should see a photo on the Napili Shores' page. Right by the ocean, open air, good food, good pancakes. Arrive early--crowds start coming at around 8:30, according to the kids. From there, head a bit further north along the oceanfront road (Lower Honoopiilani (sp?) not hte highway, for some snorkeling coves nr Kapalua.

A bit closer to the Westin, head south back into Lahaina town and try Cheeseburger in Paradise for bkfast. Also right on the waterfront, on Front St. Good food at other times as well, including drinks.

As Starrsville said, there are plenty of grocery stores. Stop at Safeway (on the ocean side of the highway) just before you enter Kaanapali Resort. If you don't already have one, get your free Safeway Club Card while there, and save some $$.
Do you know if your room at Westin has a small fridge, as many hotels do in Hawaii? if not, they could probalby bring you one, esp'lly if you request it prior to check-in. I've done this at several HI resorts for just the kind of thing you mention like milk, bagels and crm cheese,etc.
Don't worry about the TS presentation-- smile sweetly at the END of 90 minutes, or whatever they say you have to attend for, then you and DH firmly tell them you'll think about it, as you exit . Discuss this with DH beforehand. I suspect Marriott 'sTS presentations are a bit classier than some companies, where they insult you if you don't buy "stat."
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 04:28 PM

Near the Maui Kaanapali Villa's is a little beach side restaurant called Castaways. Nothing fancy but good food at reasonable prices.
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 05:41 PM

DebitNM~ I haven't been back to Maui since my last visit nine years ago, but I love discovering a nice bakery and good coffee..

just an idea instead of the standard fruit, toast and cereal routine..

enjoy your trip and say hi to the dolphins for me if they happen to smile at you
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 05:43 PM

wait, make that twelve years ago since my oldest was five and he's seventeen now..
prior to that, we went with in-laws(Grand Hyatt) and I'm still in recovery from that trip!

Good luck and report back with what you found..
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 06:01 PM

another vote for the Gazebo in Napili, the best mac nut pancakes with coconut syrup, eggs & hashbrowns all at under $10bucks!...my mouth is watering just thinking about it!

If you want to make a little trip of it, bring your snorkel gear and go in the lagoon around the corner, there's a huge resident sea turtle there named Maggie (if I remember correctly)
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 06:15 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your great ideas! We are looking for local type places, not fast food chains -- we don't eat at those at home let alone on a vacation Back east we'd call them luncheonettes or coffee shops where they have great pastries and coffee. {Pre Starbucks era}.

CaliNurse...we will have a mini fridge at both places which will helps.

Stopping at grocery is a for-sure along with breakfasting al fresco or on a picnic type basis.

Again, thanks to all!
Debi

Old Sep 13th, 2006, 06:26 PM

Speaking of the al fresco eating/picnics you mentioned Debi...I have an article from years ago, from Hana Hou (the Hawaiian Airlines magazine) called "Four Perfect Picnics" --all are out-of-the-way spots in and around Honolulu. If you will be there as well as Ko Olina during your trip to Oahu, and are in picnic mode, let me know and I'll get you a copy some way (The article's not in the magazine's on-line archives as far as i know.)
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 06:55 PM
Original Poster

CaliNurse -- yes! yes! we will be in Oahu and expect to travel around the island. If you can figure out how to get it to me, I'd be most appreciative!
Debi

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -