Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page > Need advise - Washington,DC to Skyland Lodge - which way?

Need advise - Washington,DC to Skyland Lodge - which way?

Apr 21st, 2002, 06:12 PM
SueOz

Need advise - Washington,DC to Skyland Lodge - which way?

Leaving DC at about 3 on a Friday afternoon. I know we will be in awful traffic. Staying at Skyland Lodge on the Skyline Drive that night. We can go 66 to Front Royal and down. Or 211 to where it meets the Skyline Drive near to Skyland. Will we miss much on the Skyline Drive if we go this way? Is one route more scenic than the other? Any opinions? Thanks so much.

Apr 21st, 2002, 06:14 PM
Clara

66 to Front Royal isn't as pretty as going down 211... and we've never found much traffic on 211, although it is a much slower road, speed wise.

Apr 21st, 2002, 07:31 PM
valleyman

Use I66 to Front Royal. Once you get beyond Gainesville the countryside becomes rolling hills, especially near Marshall. Whatever you would miss by not using 211 will be made up for on Skyland drive.

Apr 22nd, 2002, 04:59 AM
Chris

I highly recommend taking I-66 to Gainesville, then 211 to Warrenton and on to Skyline Drive. From Warrenton to Skyline Drive is a beautiful drive in the country with the hills rising in front of you. Get out by 3:00 pm dead latest--traffic will be bad until Gainesville -- but not bad from Warrenton on. You won't miss much of Skyline Drive, either. Enjoy!

Search this Thread