Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Womanship - worldwide sailing company - keeps Girl Scout Money

Old Sep 2nd, 2012, 04:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We want to let all in the sailing community know that you have a shark in your midst. Womanship.com, a worldwide sailing company that professes it can lead anyone on a learning adventure contracted with our group of 11 and 12 year old Girl Scouts on the Chesapeake Bay in June, 2012. We spent time coming to an agreed upon itinerary that led to us putting down a $1400.00 deposit on May 2nd. Since that time, Womanship suspended communication and did not respond to any of our appeals to get information regarding our upcoming trip. Our six Girl Scouts had to sell thousands of cookies to fund this trip, only to be disappointed and be left ashore. To add insult to injury, they continue to ignore all requests for a refund. If our experience is any indication of their business practices, do not spend any time or money on this company! The sailing community needs to spread the word! Don’t believe us? Look on TripAdvisior, Yahoo Travel, Cruisers Forum, Yelp, Sailing School Reviewer to name a few!!!
Old Sep 2nd, 2012, 05:47 PM

Too bad you didn't see the complaints until you had paid them.

But - this should easily fall within small claims court and they might even return your money as soon as they see that you have filed against them.
Old Sep 2nd, 2012, 06:32 PM

Go to your Girl Scout council and get something on the letterhead, they either have staff there or at Girl Scout headquarters to help you out. Go to the media -- your local tv station should have a consumer reporter. This will make great tv esp. with GS in uniforms talking about selling cookies fort the trip that never happened.
Old Sep 2nd, 2012, 07:27 PM
Original Poster

We are working on all of those suggestions - getting the word out!!! Call them yourselves - lots of pressure will help! Thanks for everything!!!
Old Sep 2nd, 2012, 11:01 PM

I am in GS and we have to do so much paperwork to go anywhere. Also, we are not allowed to go on any water trip, even class I rapids without it being a "GS Approved Outfitter." And in my experience, Outfitters don't run away with people's money.

In my area, had we wanted to take our girls back east and go on a boating trip like that, we would likely have to get an approval from say,the Maryland Council of GS that this outfitter is approved....I just don't even see how your paperwork got through the mill.
Old Sep 3rd, 2012, 02:20 AM

"Call them yourselves..." No. A person cannot effectively complain about an experience they didn't have.
Old Sep 3rd, 2012, 08:02 AM

Did you have the benefit/foresight of paying it by credit card. Contest it.
Old Sep 3rd, 2012, 12:40 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
If all those travel websites gave the company bad reviews, I don't understand how you ended up booking with them in the first place.
Old Jan 9th, 2013, 11:09 AM

Don't blame the victim! Womanship is a disreputable company that has cheated a lot of good people.