Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

NEED ADVICE ON NEW ORLEANS HOTELS - ALL SOLD OUT 2/25 - ALTERNATE?

Jan 13th, 2010, 01:48 PM
Original Poster

Funny the previous poster mentioned New Orleans...we're going there too!

So here's our problem...my SIL, a 22 yr. survivor of Leukemia, is running in the 1/2 marathon on Sunday 2/28. She and her dh are staying at Sheraton on Canal Street. We'd like to surprize her and show up to support her as she crosses the finish line!

I've tried every hotel in that area and all are sold out. I contacted several of the hotels directly, even explained our plight, but they all are sold out. One hotel mentioned they might release some rooms one month before, but no guarentee. Flights were easy to get for four of us, so I'm baffled why this is so difficult.

Just wondering your opinion...is this normal? Its after Mardi Gras which I thought meant less crowds. I realize the marathon brings alot of people in to the area, but it still seems odd to me.

Can you recommend a hotel close to Canal street that would have availability? I've called a few...but Fodors and Trip. Adv. all had poor reviews on the hotels that are available during our stay (check in 2/25, check out 3/1 - 2 rooms).

Thanks in advance. You guys are always the best at answering my travel questions!
Jan 13th, 2010, 01:59 PM

Which hotels have you called?
Jan 13th, 2010, 02:19 PM

I just checked hotels.com using your dates and 2 rooms, and there's plenty of hotels with availability.

http://tinyurl.com/y9985tp
Jan 13th, 2010, 02:40 PM

Expedia is also showing several hotels with availability on your dates, including the Royal Sonesta and the Marriott.
Jan 13th, 2010, 04:35 PM

My favorite hotel in the city has availability -
http://www.dauphineorleans.com/

If there are host hotels with the race, they may have rooms blocked for now that they will release closer to the race. But, hotels are available for those dates. Have a good time!
Jan 13th, 2010, 06:02 PM
Original Poster

I guess I should have been more specific...we really want to stay in the same hotel as the rest of the group...they are staying at the Sheraton, Canal Street. When I called them directly, they referred me to the St. Charles, the Westin and I think the Doubletree. I called all of these nearby hotels and they are sold out too.

Starrs...love the Dauphi New orleans after checking out their website, but it looks like its a few blocks away..is that true?

I think you might be correct Starrs...they might be holding space for the race.

Cheryllj - I'll check out the Marriott and Royal Sonesta..thanks...

I know we'll find something (I booked two rooms at the Iberville Suites just in case I don't find anything closer - it didn't get the best reviews, but something is better than nothing!). I just thought I would ask my fellow fodorites why the hotels surrounding the sheraton are all sold out that weekend.

Thanks again for all your help. I've been searching old Fodor's travel postings for what to do in New Orleans...got lots of good info to take with us!
Jan 13th, 2010, 08:49 PM

The International House is right near the Sheraton, very cool boutique hotel (I've stayed there a couple times), and they are showing availability that weekend.