Need advice on Lu'aus

Search

Need advice on Lu'aus

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16th, 2008, 06:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need advice on Lu'aus

On traveling to Maui this August with a party of 6, one of the things on our to-do list is attend a lu'au. We've heard very good things about the lu'au at the Wailea Marriott. We're highly leaning towards this lu'au and we're just curious if anyone has ever attended it. We'd highly appreciate any feedback on this lu'au or any other lu'au's that you would recommend on Maui.
Old Mar 16th, 2008, 06:32 AM

Have you considered the Old Lahaina Luau? It wins "best luau on Maui" year after year. The website is www.oldlahainaluau.com. I mean, if you're going to go to one of these things, why not go to the one that is consistently rated the best?
Old Mar 16th, 2008, 09:27 AM

Drums of the Pacific has the best fire knife dancer on Maui.

Old Lahaina Luau does not have a fire knife dancer.

Wailea Marriott Luau is decent. If you are staying in South Maui, no need to drive to Lahaina/Kaanapali.

If you are on a budget, then try Royal Lahaina Luau. Its not quite as good as others, but still good. Lots of discounts available.

Feast at Lele is also good, but expensive.
Old Mar 16th, 2008, 10:56 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Our family all enjoyed Old Lahaina Luau, but we were already staying in Lahaina.
Old Mar 16th, 2008, 12:46 PM

<<<Drums of the Pacific has the best fire knife dancer on Maui.>>>

lol, I guess that makes up for the rest of the cheesy show, eh?

I was at Drums of the Pacific last week and it was a typical cheesy Tihati hotel show, the same as you find at other hotels across the islands. As for the "best" fire dancer, I was less than impressed. At least the Tihati show at the Maui Prince brings out three fire dancers at the same time, and I saw nothing at the Hyatt luau that was different--twirl, light one end with your hand, twirl some more, balance the flames on your feet, double twirl, juggle three with another person. What exactly makes this the "best?"

The show overall was mediocre at best and the dances have a Vegas production style to them, including dancing faux traditional dances to songs from Blue Hawaii and telling made-up "legends" that have no basis in real island legends, reminiscent of a review from Ricky Ricardo's stage show at the Copacabana.

But, I would take the Hyatt show over the Marriott show any day. The Wailea Marriott is also a Tihati production, but it has a smarmy Vegas lounge-style MC and three audience participation segments where they drag drunken men from the audience on stage to have them "hula." The same show is found at the Maui Prince on alternate days.

Old Lahaina Luau is different from the mass-produced Tihati shows, and tells the story of Hawaii through Hawaiian hula. Other luau are Polynesian reviews. When you consider that they are all comparable in price, for my $100 I prefer the OLL. The menus do not compare either. OLL has a larger selection of Hawaiian foods, including pokes, pohole fern salad and laulau.

Another excellent option is the Feast at Lele. F@L is a Polynesian review, but the show and menu are coordinated so that you are being served food from the islands as they are being represented on stage. No buffet and you have a private table.
Old Mar 16th, 2008, 01:39 PM

We have done them before and really suggest the feasatlele.com There are great shows and a higher caliber of seating and food (LaHaina)
Old Mar 16th, 2008, 01:42 PM

This link with a basic comparison and lots of useful links will be good jumping off point for you.

http://www.govisithawaii.com/2008/02...s-and-reviews/
Old Mar 16th, 2008, 01:49 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for all of the info. It's all been really helpful and I appreciate it.

I know this is ccmpletely off of the subject of lu'au's; but has anyone ever ziplined on Maui? If so, what companies/tours would you recommend and about how far in advance should I book it for my party of 6 when we travel to Maui this August? Thanks.
Old Mar 16th, 2008, 02:28 PM

80% - 90% of those going to a luau on Maui go to one with a fire knife dancer, simply because a fire knife dancer is the highlight of the entertainment.

Many including myself would be absolutely bored at Old Lahaina Luau because they do not have a fire knife dancer. Nor do they have the variety of dances from all over Polynesian countries that other luaus have.

If there was a market on Maui or any other island for a similar luau to Old Lahaina Luau, you can bet there would be at least one other similar luau.

Old Lahaina Luau has zero competition for their type of luau.

Every other luau on Maui has competition from each other as they all have the same type of dancing & a fire knife dancer.
Old Mar 16th, 2008, 02:30 PM
Original Poster

How far in advance should I book the lu'au if I am traveling there this August with a party of 6?
Old Mar 16th, 2008, 02:58 PM

Another vote for Feast at Lele. Been to 2 luaus... but this was the only one I'd do again... now that's a recommendation!!!

I don't think they will fill up too far in advance. But if they were to have a group or something... you never know.

I'd book ASAP... I don't think they charge your card till you show up. I know another popluar luau was sold out and that's how we got to the Feast... boy am I glad!!!

Have fun!
Old Mar 17th, 2008, 10:01 PM

Just ignore Dusty. He has a thing against the Old Lahaina Luau.

The "other" luau are not "competing" against each other since most of them are Tihati productions. And most are not held every night of the week, nor do they sell out. In most cases you can get half price discount tickets on the same day for the Tihati shows. The Old Lahaina Luau sells out 365 nights a year, without discounts.

If you want to book Old Lahaina, book asap. If you want one of the others, wait and take advantage of half price specials. When we went to the Hyatt last week we just walked up and bought tickets at 5:30, without reservations. It was not sold out and this is a spring break week. Pleasant Holidays offers half price tickets for all of the Tihati shows, Activity Warehouse usually has them on the day of the show.
Old Mar 18th, 2008, 05:13 AM

I have been to both, the Old Lahaina Luau and the Feast at Lele. I would recommend either one. The food at the Feast at Lele was much better and not a buffet. From what I've read here I would avoid any of the other "luaus"
Old Mar 18th, 2008, 09:16 AM

There are many that feel the same way as I do about Old Lahaina Luau.

If you like variety & the spectacular fire knife dancing at a luau, stay away from Old Lahaina Luau.

Read the reviews both good & bad:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Search?re...h=Go&geo=29220
Old Mar 18th, 2008, 01:34 PM
Original Poster

Has anyone ever been to the luau at the Wailea Marriott? Thoughts?
Old Mar 18th, 2008, 01:55 PM

I would definitely see the OLL. I like the fire stuff OK too, but OLL is great!
Old Mar 18th, 2008, 02:50 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
To write of Old Lahaina Luau because of the lack of one particular dance is hardly fair (imho). They do a fantastic job of putting on an amazing event. It is not tacky or cheezy in any way. The dinner buffet features all the foods you've heard about but perhaps not had the opportunity to try. The setting is spectacular and the evening very well organized. If it is not good, I wonder why is it consistently sold-out well in advance?

Old Mar 18th, 2008, 05:06 PM

Would they sell out every night if there were 7 or 8 more luaus like it? They sell out because they market well & it is the only luau with that type of dancing. They have zero competition for their type of luau.

Do they have a Tahitian dance?

Do they have a Maori poi ball dance?

Do they have live music for their dances?
Old Mar 19th, 2008, 11:06 AM

We didn't book until 'day of', so were only able to get tickets to Drums of the Pacific (Hyatt). Make sure you book ahead if interested in a particular luau.

Fire dancer, or no fire dancer, I would be hard pressed to recommend Drums of the Pacific to anyone! It's my understanding that fire dancers are not an authentic part of Hawaiian luau anyhow...
Old Mar 20th, 2008, 10:04 AM

<<<Do they have a Tahitian dance?>>>

Yes. The show begins with the second migration to Hawaii, from Tahiti, so they start with otea

<<<Do they have a Maori poi ball dance?>>>

No, that would be Maori, which has nothing to do with the story of Hawaii. The show tells the story of Hawaii, not New Zealand.

<<<Do they have live music for their dances?>>>

Yes. They are makai of the stage.

Have you ever been to the Old Lahaina Luau?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -