Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Need advice on economy places to eat with family please!

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 16th, 2003, 10:31 AM
Tia
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi again everyone:

Taking my third trip to D.C. this August. This time, I'm leaving the hubby at home and taking my mom and sister with me. We will be taking them to the major spots (Monuments, museums, White House, etc.). One person in our party is very frugal when it comes to dining out. Can anyone give me suggestions for places with decent food, close to some major points of interest, but with low to medium priced meals (lunch and supper)? I know it's hard to come by in D.C. as I've been there before and would really rather eat at a nicer place, but I'm trying to plan ahead in order to make for a flawless trip if possible!!! Any suggestions would be most helpful! Thank you

Tia
Old May 16th, 2003, 10:45 AM
E

There's nothing like Fodorite advice, but in the meantime check out the Washington Post's food section online: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/food/?nav=hpleft1
They have a nifty search engine (you can search by neighborhood, for instance), and reliable reviews that include price info. Good luck!
Old May 16th, 2003, 10:58 AM

It's been a while since I was there (10 years) but I remember that there were some decent cafes for lunch right in some on the Smithsonian museums (sorry, don't remember which ones!).
Old May 16th, 2003, 11:51 AM

Washingtonian Magazine has a Cheap Eats issue every year. If you have a weekly pass to Metro and can get around your best bet is ethnic between Rosslyn and Ballston, or towards Bethesda. Cheesecake factory and Maggianos at Friendship Heights. Don't know if you're looking for cheaper than that. A price range would help.
Old May 16th, 2003, 11:57 AM
E

Of the Smithsonian museums, the National Gallery of Art has the best cafe, in terms of quality, selection and ambience. On the Mall, the hot dog vendors are your only other option.
Old May 16th, 2003, 12:00 PM

The "other" travel board that starts with "F" and publishes travel books (wouldn't be right to say Arthur's last name here <g> ) has a thread going right now, and published an article a few months ago about eating at gov't subsidized cafeterias in DC. Check it out - you're paying for it.

I thought the food court downstairs in Union Station OK, but wouldn't plan a dinner there.
Old May 16th, 2003, 12:03 PM

If the weather's nice, grab some hot dogs from the vendors and have a picnic along the Mall, or near the river. The scenery will be nicer, and you'll save a bundle.
Old May 19th, 2003, 08:30 AM

Tia,
Let me give you one GREAT tip. When you go to the White House, plan to have lunch or breakfast (closed at dinner) at the "BREAD LINE" located 1-1/2 blocks from the white house at 1751 Penn Ave. between 17th & 18th st. This is the BEST casual food in DC. Grab an outdoor table. It get's very crowded between 12:05 pm and 1:30 pm so plan accordingly. Less than $10 per person. I often get lunch w/ a glass of wine and dessert&espresso for about $12. Plan to split the sandwiches (no one can eat a whole on) Food is to die for. Make sure someone in your group gets the fabulous fries. Get a seafood chowder for $4 or the creme brulee for a buck.
Old May 19th, 2003, 09:51 AM
Tia
Original Poster

Wow, the Bread Line sounds exactly like what I'm looking for. A nice place for a cheap price--isn't everyone looking for such a place!!! Anyway, thanks to all of you for the info!! Any other suggestions would be great, too!!!

Tia
Old May 19th, 2003, 10:59 AM

The Dubliner in the Phoenix Park Hotel near the Capitol is pretty reasonable for dinner. Its an Irish pub with a dining room separate from the bar. It has live entertainment later in the evening in the bar. The dining room is nice but not expensive as I recall. Their website is www.phoenixparkhotel.com. Their menu is posted but does not have prices.
Old May 19th, 2003, 03:57 PM

I second the idea for The Dubliner - good food, fun Irish place near Union Station.

As far as food on the mall, most of the Smithsonian museums have food service. The Air and Space has a cafeteria with McDonalds, Boston Market, and pizza type options. The American History museum has that kind of thing and also a more sit down place and an ice cream parlor. The National Gallery of Art has the nicest restaurant of all the museums.

Off the mall, if you go a block or so over from either long side of the Mall, you can find more options like McDonalds, Wall Street Deli, and other places like that where the business people eat. Additionally, right by the Farragut North metro station there is an underground food court (corner of Connecticut and K Streets) with some fast food and also buffet places that will work in a pinch.

Also try the Washingtonian Magazine website at www.washingtonian.com for more ideas of real restaurants.
Old May 20th, 2003, 03:50 AM

When we were in Washington last August, by the end of the day we were often too hot and tired to want to eat out for dinner. Since we had a suite hotel with kitchen, we did nice take-out a few times, put our feet up in the air conditioning, saved money and our sanity.
Old May 20th, 2003, 05:15 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
These are my favorite cheap places in the general vicinity of downtown:

Chinatown:
Lei Garden (dim sum, noodles, stir fry)
Eat First
Tony Chengs Seafood Restaurant

Dupont Circle:
Pizzeria Paradiso
Lauriol Plaza (tex mex)

I second the motion for going to Breadline. Chipotles are located everywhere. Yeah I know it's a chain but for cheap tex mex I think it's pretty gool

Also Cosi's (great sandwhiches, salads and coffee) are located all over but I think there's one at 1700 Pennsylvania Ave. There's another up the street from the Corcoran.

The washingtonia.com restaurant guide is an excellent resource. They do an annual 100 Best Bargain restaurants feature.
Old May 20th, 2003, 06:08 AM

Quite apart from food: If you're planning a flawless trip, don't plan on taking them to the White House -- no tours anymore, except for preplanned school groups and such.

It's a good idea to check the web sites for everyplace you're planning to visit -- the National Archives, FBI, Bureau of Printing and Engraving all are either closed or have been recently.
Old May 20th, 2003, 08:12 AM

True, tours of inside the white house are history. Still, people still like to go to Lafayette Square and stand on Penn ave to get their picture in front(or is it the back?) of the white house.
Old May 20th, 2003, 08:27 AM

The Post Office building just off the mall has an indoor food court, a good lunch spot. Another great place for dinner is the Luna Grill just off Dupont Circle. It's a casual, college hangout type place with a very eclectic and inexpensive menu. I believe Monday night is 1/2 price pasta night.
Old May 21st, 2003, 06:49 AM

I think Zoots is speaking of the Old Postal Pavilion building, across the street from the Reagan Building and the Federal Triangle Metro stop. Yes, there's a small food court (good breakfast deals at the bagel shop), with a variety of foods, but an even better reason to stop is to take the free tour up to the top of the clock tower where you'll probably see more than you can in the Washington Monument. You also can visit the chamber where the bells are located. It's a beautiful building and the food court is quieter than that at Reagan Building.
Old May 22nd, 2003, 11:08 AM

For really cheap, try Bucca di Beppo just north of Dupoint Circle. The servings are huge, so the three of you could probably order one entree. It's a chain, but a decent one.

At 21st and I (Eye) Streets is Bon Appetit, otherwise known as the Bone. Great carryout.
Old May 28th, 2003, 05:29 AM
Tia
Original Poster

Thank you all for your suggestions. I've added them to my list. Keep 'em coming!!!

Tia