Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Need advice on beaches within driving distance of Atlanta

Old Jun 10th, 2007, 04:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello. I'm trying to plan a beach vacation within reasonable driving distance of Atlanta.

The most important factor for us is the quality of the beach and the water. We want to be able to swim easily with the kids.

For this reason, I've pretty much eliminated the Georgia islands based on other posts here. I've also had to eliminate Kiawah and Seaside because we are going at the height of the summer season and they are just too expensive then.

Any chance of finding a beach comparable to those on Kiawah, in a town with some more reasonably priced accomodations and a few activities for kids?

Thanks.
Old Jun 10th, 2007, 05:08 AM

How do you define "reasonable distance?"
Old Jun 10th, 2007, 07:20 AM
Original Poster

5-6 hours, maybe a little more. We decided that the Outer Banks, at 11-12 hours, was too far.

Thanks.
Old Jun 10th, 2007, 07:58 AM

St. Augustine?
Old Jun 10th, 2007, 08:33 AM

Hilton Head
Old Jun 10th, 2007, 08:35 AM

Myrtle Beach is the ultimate family vacation beach with every price range. Hilton Head has excellent beaches fine for family swimming with more upscale available. The Florida panhandle beaches are beautiful white sand with clear, green water, but often have rip tides that are a swimming hazard.
Old Jun 10th, 2007, 10:01 AM

Many people from Atlanta head to Destin. Nothing like Kiawah, though. If you can bankroll it there's always Seaside.
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 09:09 AM

You mention Seaside being too expensive; however, I would recommend the beaches in that area (have been summering there for the past 15 years). Seaside represents only a small slice of the beaches in South Walton, so there are plenty of condos/houses for rent that are not actually in Seaside, but have the same beach/water benefit. Try searching resortquest.com (formerly Abbott Realty) for property in Beachs of South Walton.
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 09:17 AM
GoTravel

Folly Beach, Edisto Beach, Litchfield, John's Island, Fripp Island to name a few.

Old Jun 11th, 2007, 10:20 AM

catilina,

While it's true that the beaches of the Florida panhandle have rip tides at times, we also have many, many days with flat conditions. Also, if you chose an area like Pensacola Beach, where I live, you have the Sound on the opposite side of the Island. This water is almost as clear as the Gulf and the fact that the beach in the core area is named Quiet Water Beach should tell you a lot.

This is where many families bring their children, whether the Gulf is having rip tides, or not. It's a gentle slope, that's shallow for a good distance and the swimming area is roped off to keep out jet skies and boats.

Depending on the ages of your children there may not be as many activities for them here. We aren't like Panama City Beach. We do have a Gulfside mini golf course, some go-carts, and of course jet skies and little catamarans.

Across the bridge on the mainland is the Naval Aviation Museum with tons of planes, an IMAX theater and, I think, a flight simulator. (Sorry, haven't been in a few years.) That's about 25 minutes from the beach. Also across the bridge, but in a different direction, is a very nice private zoo, simply called The Zoo (at Gulf Breeze). Maybe 15 minutes from the beach.

There are places to stay here that cover a pretty wide price range. Since I'm not in that business and haven't needed lodging for out of town guests lately, I'm not up on the exact prices, but I do know there's a good variety of types of places and prices.

You didn't say what your dates are but in case you are considering here, just don't plan it for Blue Angels weekend. That's July 21st this year. If you could even find a vacancy it would cost a fortune compared to the rest of the summer.

Hope you find the right fit for you and your family.

Fran