Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Need advice on a few specific Nashville hotels (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/need-advice-on-a-few-specific-nashville-hotels-662780/)

Abby43 Dec 6th, 2006 08:31 AM

Need advice on a few specific Nashville hotels

Want to go to Nashville and stay very close to Vanderbilt. My options are the Hampton Inn, Courtyard Marriott, Holiday Inn, and Embassy Suites at 1811 Broadway. This is b/c these are closest to VU and I need to be nearby for my reunion. All are within similar price range. I could also stay at the Loews Vanderbilt or Marriott but they are about $100 more and it's not worth it.

Can anyone who has stayed at the original 4 please tell me how your visit was or if you would recommend one over another? The locations are pretty similar, although the Holiday Inn is closer to the rec center which is usually where the activities are held for our reunion.

Thanks!

Brian_in_Charlotte Dec 6th, 2006 08:50 AM

We go every other year or so and have stayed at the Hampton Inn on West End (most recenty) and the Hampton Inn on Elliston (slightly closer to VU).

Both were just fine with decent rooms and friendly staffs. I agree that the Loews isn't worth that much more money. In the future, we'll likely stay at one of these again - choosing whichever one is cheaper.

I remember taking a mental note that I'd always prefer the Hampton Inns to the Courtyard, but don't remember why.

The Holiday Inn is pretty new, so if it's the same price, I'd go for that due to location. We usually can't get in there as we go for VU football games.

Abby43 Dec 6th, 2006 06:38 PM

Thanks Brian! I remember the Holiday Inn being there for a long time-since at least '88, so I don't know how new it is but I do know it's closer to campus so that can be a deciding factor. I don't really care as it's 2 days, but I thought I'd ask this question in case someone had a really good or really bad experience that would sway me one way or another.

Was the Hampton Inn on Elliston nice? Just read about that one and I don't think it was there while I was at Vandy. Looks like you just walk up 3 blocks-and it's near my old haunt Exit/In!

Brian_in_Charlotte Dec 7th, 2006 05:08 AM

I guess I'm getting the HI confused with the new Marriot - one of them has rooms that actually look down on the football field.

It's been a few years since we stayed at the one on Elliston, but I remember being happy with it. And yes, it's real close to Exit/Inn. It's just a Hampton Inn, but that's always good enough for our short trips.

I posted recently about our last trip where we were disappointed at the amount of smoke in bars and restaurants around Vandy. So if that bothers you, you'll want to do some research as smoke free options are few and far between.

droolpatrol Dec 7th, 2006 06:40 AM

The Marriott near the new office high rise is new. That would be the one that overlooks Centennial Park and the football stadium. The Holiday Inn has been there for decades. Out of the West End Hampton Inn, Marriott Courtyard and Embassy Suites on Broadway, the oldest hotel would be the Hampton Inn. The Courtyard is nice, I have had relatives stay there. No experience with the Embassy Suites, but I would guess their parking situation is a little more cramped. Couryard has a garage, and the Hampton is all surface parking if that makes a difference. IMHO, I think the Loews Vanderbilt Plaza is worth the extra $$. The atmosphere is nicer and the bar and restaurants make a great reunion gathering place. But like I said that's my opinion. You'll have a great time regardless.

Gellers Dec 7th, 2006 02:31 PM

I have stayed at the Courtyard and found it to be very noisy (on a super busy street).