I will be taking my four kids on a month-long (approximately) road trip this summer, starting in Chicago and ending in Seattle. I've done a bit of research and would love to get some advice and suggestions on things that we're planning to do along the way. I've copied and pasted a high-level itinerary below - one of my goals being no more than 5 hours of driving at anyone time (for my sanity and theirs!).
My specific questions -
1. Are there other things I should add to my list of possible things to see / do in my destinations or along the way (or perhaps things I should remove)?
2. Are there any locations where I should spend more time?
3. Any suggestions about places to stay, particularly in the smaller areas?
4. Do I need to allocate more driving time?
5 - any other suggestions or recommendations would be awesome!
Chicago, IL - four days (Art Institute, Wrigley Field, 360 Chicago Observation Deck, Boat Tour, the Magnificent Mile, Theater show, Shedd Aquarium)
Des Moines, IA - 2 days (includes driving time there - Stop at Amana Colonies on the way there; Terrace Hill Governor's Mansion - what else?)
Omaha, NE - 1 day (includes driving time - Henry Doorly Zoo, Lewis and Clark Riverfront Landing and Park and Bob Kerry Pedestrian Bridge)
Royal, NE - 1 day (includes driving time - Ashfall Fossil Bed)
De Smet, SD - 1 day (includes driving time - Laura Ingalls Wilder's Home / Museum)
Rapid City, SD - 4 days (includes driving time - Mount Rushmore, Wildlife Loop, Custer State Park (jeep buffalo safari), Badlands (horseback riding), Crazy Horse Memorial, Reptile Gardens)
Hulett, WY - 1 day (includes drive - Devil's Tower, Black Hills)
Cody, WY - 1 day (includes drive - Buffalo Bill Museum)
Yellowstone - 4 days (includes drive - exploring, hiking)
Helena, MT - 1 day (includes drive - what to do??)
Coeur d'Alene, ID - 1 day (includes drive - what to do??)
Seattle, WA - 4 days (includes drive - Space Needle, Pike Place Market, Century Link Field (Seattle Seahawks and Sounders), water taxi, explore the waterfront (including the ferris wheel), Seattle Center (Experience Music Project, Children's Museum and Theater, etc.), Argosy Locks (water) tour, Argosy Tillicum Village Excursion)
Thank you in advance for any input, advice or suggestions you might have!
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Verizon @ Password Recovery CONTACT 1:888:279:0246 Tec*h 24\7 care
- 2 Christmas getaway
- 3 Everglades en route from Ft Myers to Miami doable?
- 4 Kiwi girls going from Houston - Nashville
- 5 NY theater district restaurant
- 6 Is it safe to wear good jewelry in NYC?
- 7 Upper Geyser Basin - Yellowstone National Par
- 8 Key Largo worth a day trip from Florida City/Miami area??
- 9 Family winter holiday
- 10 Sjc Car Rental
- 11 PNW & its grudge against the bumbershoot
- 12 Trip to Cali
- 13 Hawaii: Maui and Big Island questions
- 14 Grand Canyon trip from Breckenridge
- 15 10 Day California Vacation Advice
- 16 4 days in San Diego
- 17 Should we go to Orlando if not interested in Disney World?
- 18 Please help - Hawaii itinerary - big island and Honolulu
- 19 Miami: Coconut Grove or Little Havana?
- 20 Need Help Picking a Neighborhood in Boston
- 21 The Lincoln Highway, abridged: Nikki's road trip
- 22 Not a Typical Trip Report
- 23 Christkindlmarket in Chicago
- 24 CAR TRIP FROM WI TO CA (in winter!!)
- 25 Minneapolis to Mount Rushmore (worth it?)