Need Advice for Maui and Big Island Trip

Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 11:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Advice for Maui and Big Island Trip

We will take family vacation to Maui and Big Island June 2008 for the first time. We have two girls age 12 and 15. Tentatively I am thinking of spending 3 days in big island and 5 days in maui. I understand that you can spend weeks in each place with enough things to do. However, with kids we probably won't be sitting by the pools for hours. We mostly would do sightseeing and some hiking and snorkeling.

I would like to know if the length of the time spending on each place is reasonable. I can probably add or subtract 1 or 2 days for the whole trip. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 11:54 AM

I would add a couple days and also spend at least as many days on Big Island as on Maui. Big Island is much bigger.

This thread is mostly for Oahu, but there are about 10 good websites for all islands & sites for free brochures for all islands:

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...1&tid=34812564
Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 11:57 AM

I agree. I have not been to Maui, but I just returned from 10 days on the BI & Kauai, and 5 days on the BI was not nearly enough to see all that it has to offer. We are not the type to lounge around the resort either, and it was the perfect choice. I recently posted a trip report where you may be able to get some ideas for activities on the BI. I would suggest exploring the Kona area (great snorkeling) and Volcano at the very least.
Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 12:08 PM
tmt

Please make sure you look into going out to see the lava at night - your children are old enough.

It was the highlight of our 3 weeks in Hawaii last year.

Wished we had bought those flashlights that go around your head (like a doctor). A number of folks had them and it freed your hands for hiking sticks.

Sturdy sneakers at the least for the walk out - we saw some folks in sandals!
Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 12:30 PM

If you can add the 2 days, definitely do it. I'd split my time evenly between the two. They're very different islands and, as you said, you can easily spend weeks in both. They're both worth as much time as you can spend. FWIW, BI is our favorite, if for not other reason that its sheer variety, and I wouldn't short change it.
Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 04:53 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much for the help.

I have one more question. I read from some book that you can get a good view from the airplane flying in and out of the islands. Depending on where you coming or leaving one side of the plane has better view than the other side.

Here is our flying path:

Leg one: San Francisco to Bid Island (non-stop).
Leg two: Inter-island, Big Island to Maui
Leg three: Maui to San Francisco (non-stop)

Can you tell me whcih side of the plane has better view for each of the leg?

Thanks again
Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 05:15 PM

We got a pretty awesome view of Haleakala as we came in for a landing in Maui. We were on the right hand side of the plane.
Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 05:30 AM

On inter-island leg, if you're flying out of Hilo, I'd sit on the left. If you're flying out of Kailua-Kona, I'd sit on the right. On the other legs, I'm not sure it makes a lot of difference. When we flew from Kahului, Maui to the mainland, we went straight over the water with Maui to the rear, so we never saw the island after takeoff.
Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 08:07 AM

San Francisco to Big Island--I always like to sit on the left side. I begin looking for the island when we're about 45 minutes out. It's always--is that it or is it just clouds. Then you begin to see Mauna Loa and Mauna Kea and then the whole island comes into view. As the plane rounds Upolu Point, you can see the whole Kona coast before landing at the airpot.
Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 08:21 AM
Ag3046

1. SFO-Kona- sit on the left
2. KOA- OGG - probably the right, but depends a bit on the winds. If there are no clouds over Haleakala, it is spectacular.
3. OGG- SFO- Makes no difference. You will be in tears, anyway.

Right now, the lava flows are in an inaccessible area, so the hike over the lava at the end of Chain of Craters road that tmt mentions isn't a big deal anymore. You would be better off in a helicopter ride.

For only 8 days, I think I'd at least make it 4 and 4. If you could, 5 days Big Island wouldn't be too much.