Need a Writer's Retreat Suggestion from Minneapolis

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5th, 2011, 01:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm a writer living in Minneapolis. Every now and then, I need to get away for a weekend to someplace not too far and not too expensive to just focus on writing. I have found a great b&b just outside the city (not available right now), and I've even taken advantage of weekend hotel deals downtown to get a change of environment (plus I really do like our city). Does anyone have any suggestions for a quick getaway in a couple of weeks? I'm looking for a Friday to Monday, no further than an hour and half drive (or cheap 1.5 hour flight), affordable and comfortable. Thanks in advance for any ideas.
Old Aug 5th, 2011, 02:50 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Outside your 1.5 hour circle but a nice little town with some good hotels-Tomah Wisconsin. You can get on the Westbound Empire Builder (Amtrak) about 7:50AM in St. Paul and arrive in downtown Tomah in time for lunch. The Amtrak station in Tomah is on Superior Avenue which is the original Gasoline Alley.
The eastbound Empire Builder departs Tomah a little after 6PM and gets to St. Paul about 10:30PM.
Amtrak fare should be less than $60 each way unless you buy last minute.
Old Aug 5th, 2011, 06:09 PM

ascoli, an hour and a half west of Minneapolis is the Birdwing Spa, located in Meeker county. It gets mixed reviews but is located on 300 acres of wilderness and has lakeshore available. Another small town I like is New Ulm. Located next to the Minnesota River, variety of hotels and BnBs.
Old Aug 5th, 2011, 08:01 PM
Original Poster

Thank you tomfuller and ziggypop! These are excellent suggestions, just what I was looking for!
Old Sep 3rd, 2011, 04:59 PM

We spent one night at this place in Fountain City, Wisconsin and the world just melted away.
http://www.hawksview.net/

It is nestled into the hillside among lots of trees. Our place had a couple of porches and huge windows. We enjoyed watching the wildlife as well as barge and train traffic. I think it would be the perfect writer's retreat.
Old Sep 4th, 2011, 03:22 PM

Head over to Stillwater - many historic bed and breakfasts and lots of antique stores, book stores and restaurants. Perfect for a weekend get away!