Search

Subway from JFK

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18th, 2003, 05:39 PM
sej
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Subway from JFK

Am having to fly into JFK this time since couldn't get tickets to La Guardia for the date I needed unless I spent a small fortune (was a last minute thing). I've always taken a taxi from LGA but was thinking of trying the subway from JFK instead since am traveling light, am trying to save money, and thought it might be faster than a taxi. What about taking the A train at Howard Beach, transfering to the J or Z at Broadway, Eastern Parkway and then switching to the F or V at Delancey which will take me to the Rockefeller Center stop (my hotel is on 55th). Has anyone ever done this or taken any other subway route into town? Am I being delusional in thinking it might be faster? Is it a safe route?
Old Jun 18th, 2003, 05:49 PM
Bo

Stay on the A Train and tranfer to the F or V train at West 4th Street.
Old Jun 18th, 2003, 05:52 PM

If you have alot of luggage, taxi is the best way. I have never taken the subway from JFK, hoever I think that it should be safe.

http://www.panynj.gov/aviation/jgtsmain.htm

Old Jun 18th, 2003, 06:52 PM
Rob

You are going to have to take a shuttle bus to the Howard Beach station to get the A train. With the bus ride, the waiting for the bus, waiting for the train, having to transfer to the F or V at West 4th and the attendant waiting times the trip could take more than 1 1/2 hours, probably closer to 2 hours. The taxi is much faster. Taxi fare from JFK is fixed at $35 plus tip and toll.
Old Jun 18th, 2003, 07:11 PM
sej
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! I was planning on taking a taxi to the Howard beach station since I didn't want to wait around for the bus but it sounds like the subway will still take a long time. An hour in a taxi is one thing but an hour on the subway after being cooped up in the plane sounds like a real drag. I thought it would be faster.
Old Jun 19th, 2003, 07:25 AM

Why not take the NY Airport Service bus ( http://www.nyairportservice.com/ )? It's only $22 round trip if you purchase in advance. It's a large "motorcoach" with luggage compartments underneath, and goes almost non-stop to Grand Central. From there, they provide shuttle to many hotels, but I'd find my own transportation from that point, as the shuttles stop at too many locations.
Old Jun 19th, 2003, 09:26 AM

Sej- I take the subway from JFK pretty often. The worst thing about it is waiting for the stupid shuttle bus (which can sometimes be PACKED...and it makes a million stops)- duh, I never even thought of taking a cab to the train station. Not a bad idea. The subway ride itself isn't bad. Half of it is elevated, so you can entertain yourself just looking out the window. It won't take much longer than to get into the city by taxi (which takes over an hour anyway).
Old Jun 19th, 2003, 09:33 AM

You're better off taking the NY Aiport Service or the taxi. The transfer from the A to the J at Eastern Parkway is a hike in itself, since the A is underground at that station and the J is elevated. You have to go through this long escalator, and well, both trains go through neighborhoods that are not that great. and nothing screams "tourist" like someone lugging luggage on the A train. Take the other ways recommended. I used to live 15 minutes from JFK and lived right by the A train and I STILL wouldn't take the train there unless I was picking someone up.
Old Jun 19th, 2003, 09:53 AM

Sej,
Take the A train to West 4th and switch to the F. Since you are traveling light it shouldn't be a problem.