Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Need a *REASONABLY* priced SF hotel in a safe neighborhood (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/need-a-reasonably-priced-sf-hotel-in-a-safe-neighborhood-29527/)

JR Jul 28th, 1998 12:11 PM

Need a *REASONABLY* priced SF hotel in a safe neighborhood

I need a reasonable priced hotel in San Francisco. I would like something nice, clean and safe -- a good place to sleep. I'm not looking for anything fancy, nor do I want super-cheap and dirty. Just adequate. Thanks for any information. <BR> <BR>

Jackson Jul 28th, 1998 12:57 PM

I suggest you stay in the Tenderloin area of SF. Some people (all of whom are racists) object to this area because it was once not the nicest place to stay. It's been cleaned up and turned into an area which is quite reasonable in price. Also, it's close to areas such as Union Square, Nob Hill, and Downtown.

kam Jul 28th, 1998 01:32 PM

There's a very nice little hotel called the San Remo in North Beach (Little Italy) where you will not have a phone or TV and might have to share a bath, but you will stay in the old mansion of the Gianni family(who founded Bank of America) and you will be directly across from a cable car turnaround. I find that the Tenderloin has too many homeless and still hasn't been fixed up enough. They are at 2237 Mason Street--Phone (415) 776-8688. A double should run about $100, a single less. Great location! Short of that there are a number of motels out on Lombard that would fit your needs also. <BR>

SFSally Jul 28th, 1998 01:51 PM

I certainly wouldn't pay any attention to the suggestion to stay in the Tenderloin. It has nothing whatsoever to do about racism. It has to with safety which is what you asked. There are many reasonable small hotels/motels out along Lombard St. that would probably suit your needs. It is a safe decent area. The only drawback is you are a little off of the beaten track from the usual attractions.

Parrot Mom Jul 29th, 1998 06:10 AM

Hi-try the Andrews on Post Street—wonderful little boutique hotel—just “discovered” by a travel magazine...great staff

Paul Jul 29th, 1998 11:20 AM

Check out the commodore on Sutter. Very close to downtown and reasonable. Hasn't been "discovered" by any yuppie magazine. <BR>

Rachel Ratliff Aug 9th, 1998 10:10 PM

My parents have stayed at two places they liked- the San Remo (close to Fisherman's wharf) and the Bed & Breakfast Inn just off of Union Street. Union street is a little more central and less touristy. I second opinion that you should not stay in Tenderloin. <BR>

jparrent Aug 9th, 1998 11:46 PM

I just raved about the Kimpton chain on another message-I like the Hotel Triton especailly on Grant-I have paid as little as $89 in winter to $149 in summer-but it is a great location across from the gate into chinatown and safe walking area with great access