Reload this Page >

Need a Hotel CLOSE to the Getty in LA

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17th, 2001, 06:56 AM
Steph

I'm taking a quick trip to LA just to see the Getty and would like a hotel suggestion. A shuttle is not needed as I will have a car. I'll be alone (female 50's) and may take a drive to Santa Monica for dinner. Suggestions, please.

Old Aug 17th, 2001, 07:24 AM
L

This may not at first strike you as responsive or appealing, but this is what we did, and it was so easy and fun when we visited Getty Center in late March - we opted to stay in Malibu, on the beach, at the Casa Malibu, 22752 Pacific Coast Highway, 310/456-2219 (ask for a room facing the beach) - and drove to the Getty (under 30 minutes via Sunset Blvd, then Rte. 405N, as I recall). Quite easy!!! If you're going to Getty during the week, you'll need a reservation - and this is the best approach because you'll be able to get in and park and avoid the waits of S&S. Hope you enjoy Getty - be sure to take both the architecture and garden tours - the site is more spectacular than the art. You see what one billion buys these days! Ciao

Old Aug 17th, 2001, 02:44 PM
kam

I would stay at the Channel Road B&B in Santa Monica if I were going alone. One block from the beach. Make parking reservations at the Getty--actually much easier than going on a weekend when reservations are on a first come, first served basis. Enjoy--both the art and the view are great--hope you have a clear day--at any rate, mornings will be less smoggy.

Old Aug 17th, 2001, 10:23 PM
joe

Just had a great stay at the Holiday Inn Brentwood, almost walking distance to the Getty. Had a nice, renovated room with a lovely view, the rooftop restaurant (though not on par with the Getty's ) is pleasant for breakfast. Friendly efficient staff, and some great discount rates are usually available with AAA etc. We have an "entertainment card" and were given a great discounted rate. (www.entertainment.com if you're a frequent traveler you should join a hotel club).

The Holiday Inn is right smack off the Sunset Boulevard exit of the 405 which is very easily navigated from the LA airport, even during hours of heavy traffic. We actually stopped in Venice and Santa Monica directly after arriving at LAX, on our way to our hotel. Then drove up the coast to Malibu, and took Sunset Boulevard to the hotel.

I couldn't recommend this hotel more highly for a Getty visitor. If it's full, there was also a Summit Hotel around the corner, and the Brentwood Motor Lodge is only a couple of miles away.

Old Aug 17th, 2001, 10:26 PM
joe

The Holiday Inn has a free shuttle to the Getty so you would not have to make parking reservations. The city bus also stops at the Getty and at the hotel.

Old Aug 18th, 2001, 07:57 AM
Alisa

The Holiday Inn Brentwood is the closest hotel to the Getty but it overlooks the freeway. And, there is nothing to walk to around there.

The Getty is very close to Santa Monica--you could stay there or in Westwood. Then you could walk to a restaurant in the evening.

Old Aug 18th, 2001, 08:44 AM
Steph

Thanks....just what I was looking for. I'll investigate all the above. I'm open for more...