Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Need a great birthday idea while in Williamsburg

Old Mar 26th, 2004, 06:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be in Williamsburg for my mom's birthday on April 3rd. Does anyone have any great birthday suggestions for her special day?
Old Mar 26th, 2004, 09:21 AM

I hope you mean colonial Williamsburg. If so, what about going to Williamsburg Winerey (yes, they make wine in Virginia!) and visit Carters Grove, a "plantation" on the James River near Williamsburg.

Another thought is Garden of Architectural Delights - James River Progressive Candlelight Plantation Tour & Dinner.

Found this offered on their website.
Explore the abundant gardens of Piney Grove', as well as the collection of antiques and historic buildings (Piney Grove-1790, Ashland-1835, Ladysmith-1857 & Duck Church 1917) and enjoy an elegant four-course candlelight dinner. You will also have the opportunity to meet the resident gardeners and learn about their many floral treasures. 5 - 9 p.m. $55 per person (plus $2.48 tax). 804-829-2196.

Old Mar 26th, 2004, 09:27 AM

A wonderful dinner at the Williamsburg Inn would be a good end to the day.
Old Mar 26th, 2004, 10:08 AM

Williamsburg in Brooklyn on Williamsburg, VA?
Old Mar 26th, 2004, 11:01 AM

carter's grove is closed
Old Mar 26th, 2004, 11:04 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Holly, You might get more replies if you could offer a little more info on what you mom likes. Without more, I might suggest anything from dinner at the Wmbg Inn to a day at Busch Gardens. Help?

Carter's Grove is closed.
Old Mar 26th, 2004, 11:30 AM

Assuming Virgina and a nice day -- a carriage ride? Reservations are madde on the same day -- be sure to go early either to the visitor's center ticket office or the one in the historic district.

You can check on the Williamsburg site's calendar for any special events such as a candleit concert. On that Friday there is a palace concert listed at 7:30 and 9pm, but I'm not seeing anything for Saturday.

I too would recommend the Inn or the Trellis Restaurant in the town or The Bray Room at Kingsmill. The restaurants in the historic district want to get you in and out for the next sitting. I would definitely make dinner reservations as it's a Saturday.
Old Mar 26th, 2004, 02:12 PM
Original Poster

Oops! I do mean Colonial Williamsburg in Virginia. I didn't even realize there was another Williamsburg. I do appreciate the ideas already given. I'll check into each one to pick out something perfect for Mom. To offer some more information: We are visiting the DC area, but are taking Amtrak to CW on the 3rd (arriving about noon). We'll take in as much as we can before evening, when we have planned the Legends tour followed by the Cry Witch show. We'll stay over at the Woodlands, and then take Amtrak back to DC the afternoon of the 4th. I just wanted to do something extra for my mom (who is turning 68) that she isn't expecting....maybe a nice dinner or carriage ride like some posters have suggested.