Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Need a Good NYC Restaurant for Traditional Thanksgiving Dinner

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 05:44 PM
Ingrid

Hi NYC Experts! My family will be visiting NYC at Thanksgiving to visit my son during his first year at NYU. There will be about 9 of us. Can anyone recommend a good restaurant that has a traditional Thanksgiving menu? Can't tell you what our price range is because I'm not familiar with New York's prices. However, we live in Hawaii which isn't much less expensive than NYU and for a good meal here, we'd pay about $30-$50/head. Thanks for your help.
Aloha

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 06:08 AM
Frank

Fraunces Tavern, check it out at Frauncestavernmuseum.org. It's about as traditional as it gets.

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 07:42 AM
Me

Something else to check: Ye Waverly Inn on Bank st. in the greenwich village area. Its a converted pre-Revolutionary War NY carriage house. Very cozay and charming. I've never eaten there for thanksgiving but it seems like the kind of place that would have a good traditional meal. You can call and ask.

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 09:08 AM
KenCT

If you'd like something with distinctly American food, without the "ye olde" spin, try An American Place on Lexington Avenue. The chef, Larry Forgione, is well known, and the food is wonderful - traditional, but with a contemporary spin.

The restaurant is affiliated with the Benjamin Hotel, which would an excellent place to stay while you're in New York.

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 09:10 AM
Thanksgiving

Aww,memory: on year we went to Windows on the World for Thanksgiving dinner.
They had magicians who came around to tables and did card tricks and magic for the children while you waited between courses,the views were wonderful.
I am glad we were able to do that.

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 08:36 PM
Ingrid

Just got home and was so pleased to see the responses to my post. Thank you to all of you. Fraunces Tavern was on my list as I did find it on the web and it looks so interesting. However, I'll check out the other places too. Probably best just to call and see what they'll have on their menus... As for the Benjamin hotel - I'll look into that as well. If you have time though, can you tell me a little more about it? Location, Price? Thanks and Warmest Aloha from Hawaii!

Old Jul 27th, 2002, 12:57 PM
ttt

Topping for ndevo

Old Aug 17th, 2002, 01:55 PM
t

topping again for ndevo